Take that Elon Musk!

lancpudn

Well I don't know if anyone's followed the Thunberg/ Andrew Tate debacle on Musk's Twitter platform but Tate's got himself in trouble over it. Not for his Tweet, though. Arrested in Romania on charges of people trafficking.

• Like 1

I always enjoy reading the comments on articles like that, one stood out as being very well put:

"It's not a 'loss of wealth'. This is a loss of perceived market value, relative to personal stock holdings. The obscenity is not his own 'wealth', it's the ludicrous sentiment that underpins it."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, @Lee said:

Well I don't know if anyone's followed the Thunberg/ Andrew Tate debacle on Musk's Twitter platform but Tate's got himself in trouble over it. Not for his Tweet, though. Arrested in Romania on charges of people trafficking.

havnt followed it on purpose, but the internet had kept me aware of whats going on. 

delighted to see another narcissistic self promoted "Alpha male" gob****e face the consequences of their own actions.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Musk Wars saga continues. The Musk Strikes Back in this interview with an extraordinarily unprepared BBC interviewer.

Clearly, the BBC are not sending their best.

• Like 1

So Musk gave an interview to the BBC; I doubt many reporters would have been prepared with just twenty minutes notice. FWIW, I've seen lots of far right and racist posts on Twitter over the last six weeks or so. Posts that I never used to see.  

To watch Clayton grapple with him in the last-minute interview – Musk apparently gave the reporter a 20-minute heads up, not a controlling manoeuvre at all – is to witness an almost unmatchably awkward collision between reverence and contempt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/12/bbc-elon-musk-sense-of-humour-twitter 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65248196 

Oh well. At least it's not as bad as his management of Twitter. 

Not sure how he can spin it as a win tbh 🤷‍♂️

😆

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

And now Elmo's removed all the blue check marks that helped users identify genuine people such as celebrities, journalist etc etc and they're only available to those daft enough to stump up for his Twitter Blue subscription service. That'll turn into chaos with impersonators I reckon.

It'll probably change in a week or so knowing Elmo.

I wonder if he knows it's Hitler's birthday as well. Probably. 

4 hours ago, @Lee said:

It's just as well for Elmo that SpaceX isn't trading yet - that would have seen a huge tumble on the stock markets.

they are claiming it as a win because even as it was starting to spiral and then detonate the commentary were talking about how anything more than getting it off the launch pad clean was being viewed as a bonus... they successfully launched the most powerful rocket ever. it didnt fulfil its mission, but it doesnt matter.

and it wont cause spacex the same commercial failure as Virgin Galactic because they already have those nasa dollars booked for the artemis mission

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 11:04, @Lee said:

So Musk gave an interview to the BBC; I doubt many reporters would have been prepared with just twenty minutes notice.

Really!? Perhaps he's in the wrong job? Or perhaps you can only get away with his laughable leftist talking points on heavily-moderated environments, which is why he was reduced to pleading "Can we move on?" when he got stuck into a mess of his own making?

On 16/04/2023 at 11:04, @Lee said:

FWIW, I've seen lots of far right and racist posts on Twitter over the last six weeks or so. Posts that I never used to see.  

Is this you talking Lee, or are you quoting James Clayton?

What do "far right" and "racist" mean these days? (Still waiting for a coherent definition of "woman" from the left, BTW. 😉)

The idea that Musk has transformed Twitter from an oasis of polite discourse into a cess-pit is laughable.

Twitter has been a terrible place for many years. Musk is simply draining the Twitter swamp. I can see why that would be triggering for some.

Terminating bot accounts.

Removing illegal content.

Levelling the playing field.

Ending the "grace and favour" blue check-mark regime.

Oh! The humanity!

15 hours ago, toot said:

Everything he touches turns to gold, or ashes. He must lose many people their jobs and savings.

One day he might decide to become a recluse. 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-65330302

One of the biggest barriers to EV adoption is the cost of entry to EV ownership, which is a barrier to many people.

I really don't see how reducing the cost of EVs is a bad thing.

• Haha 1

Not having enough money or your own money a barrier to many things in this world. 

One needs to cut their coat according to their cloth. 

Reducing the cost of purchase of new ones or used ones being bought to own or bought to lease is not a bad thing for buyers / owners, or for the financing.

Crashing the residual values might not be an issue either for those buying, only those that are dealing, trading in them or have borrowed money to stock them then find they can not sell them for a profit, or even shift at a loss because new ones are cheaper than used.

But that is for others to worry about who are in that business. 

Edited by toot

8 minutes ago, toot said:

Not having enough money or your own money a barrier to many things in this world. 

One needs to cut their coat according to their cloth. 

That truism only applies when you get to decide what clothes you wear. With ICE vehicles being phased out, people are not going to get the choice to cut their cloth, they're being forced to wear a "green" uniform.

11 minutes ago, toot said:

Reducing the cost of purchase of new ones or used ones being bought to own or bought to lease is not a bad thing for buyers / owners, or for the financing.

Crashing the residual values might not be an issue either for those buying, only those that are dealing, trading in them or have borrowed money to stock them then find they can not sell them for a profit, or even shift at a loss because new ones are cheaper than used.

Apparently the world is burning. If the price of saving the world is used car salesmen losing money, I'm not sure that is a convincing inhibition to those determined to save the planet.

Not that I'm in the "burning world" camp, but I can spout their talking-points. Personally, I rather like used car salesmen, as they are who I get my cars from.

• Love it! 1

Lots of people seem to worship at the tail pipe of Elon Musk. 

Lots of happy clappy people seem to earn well as is seen at any event he is at with employees around of fan boys and girls.

Sending stuff into space is really a way of saving the planet and using up resources in a sensible way.  

As to being forced to wear a 'Green Uniform'  or drive a Green Car or EV, i am sure that those that want not to are fine just doing what they do and drive what they want.

If you want to take them someplace's you might just have to pay more to do so or are just barred from doing so and that will be tough titty. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, EnterName said:

That truism only applies when you get to decide what clothes you wear. With ICE vehicles being phased out, people are not going to get the choice to cut their cloth, they're being forced to wear a "green" uniform.

None of my family or friends (who are all retired and bringing home significantly less than when they were employed) can even consider running an EV because the current costs to purchase or lease are way beyond their means.

Since most of us live in rural areas, and many have mobility issues, using the non-existent public transport isn't an option so we'll be running our petrol cars as long as they can pass an MOT and we can buy petrol - unless the cost of purchasing/leasing and maintaining an EV comes down substantially.

Forcing older people in rural areas into EVs just isn't going to work at the current price point.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

'None as blind as those that will not see' is another truism. 

When they get their cars / vans / pickups / tractors to a LEZ then they just need to park up then and there will be public transport there. 

'Older people sometimes need to use their common sense and if their maths is not good use a calculator'. 

If they were in receipt of PIP / DLA Mobility Component they could have an EV for £71 a week from Motability. 

They could even purchase used ones for no more than a ICE vehicle & save on the cost of running them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, toot said:

'None as blind as those that will not see' is another truism. 

When they get their cars / vans / pickups / tractors to a LEZ then they just need to park up then and there will be public transport there. 

'Older people sometimes need to use their common sense and if their maths is not good use a calculator'. 

If they were in receipt of PIP / DLA Mobility Component they could have an EV for £71 a week from Motability. 

They could even purchase used ones for no more than a ICE vehicle & save on the cost of running them.

I want to respond to this in detail, but as this is a Musk thread I'll just respectfully disagree.

Edit: Hang on, this is "Off Topic"!

Right!

I'm not putting words into your mouth @toot, I am giving a different perspective on this issue.

I think there are a sizeable number of people who are sick and tired of being bossed around with the excuse of the bossing around being "for the greater good."

Don't want the school fields you played on a kid built over so your kids can't play on them? Clearly you are an anchor on the economy, an enemy of growth. Get with the program!!

Don't want carefully-reserved green belt land "developed"? Ha! You're just a selfish NIMBY!!

Got taxed to buy a car, taxed to put it on the road, taxed to insure it, taxed to fuel it and now you want to pop into town in it? Climate denier! You're literally killing the planet!!

Telling people they can get around problems created for them on a political whim is cold comfort.

Edited by EnterName
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty other threads on here to spin that myth that EV's need to be or are  expensive to buy or lease or run / maintain. 

They can be but not all are for everyone, and certainly not for many business owners or commercial users in the UK and Elon Musk is making it cost less for many running premium vehicles and also disrupting the wider EV market. 

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

11 minutes ago, toot said:

There are plenty other threads on here to spin that myth that EV's need to be or are  expensive to buy or lease or run / maintain.

They can be but not all are for everyone

... but from 2035 they will be no alternative to an EV as a new vehicle? So they are being forced on everyone...

Given current prices I have to disagree that it's a myth.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1