Diesel fuel economy

Muff

On 20/02/2018 at 21:57, aldouk said:

I’ve done 3 tank to tank fill ups. 800 miles on the clock now and tank to tank it was 39, 38 and 39mpg. 

150 DSG. Mostly town driving with the odd long (40 mile trip)

I don’t think I’ll ever get anything over 40mpg when I used to do the same type VRS and it did 45mpg all day long (manual)

You will. I have a 150 DSG as a taxi. It’s driven in the day by my wife and in the evenings by me. Very rare do we see less than 40mpg (onboard computer) between us and that is 90% town driving. We do drive the car in Eco though.

This is so difficult to comment on as I usually do about 44 MPG but the other day I had to limp back from the Lake District, about 125 miles, at 50 mph on a clear motorway and I averaged 65 mpg. So the moral is use clear motorways and average 50 mph.

190 DSG - after 18,000 miles I pretty much always average 44-46mpg, 40 mile round trip commute each day, mainly on motorway.

Driving style affects mpg hugely - last week I had to take a trip around the southern half of the M25 - had plenty of time so took it very easy (55-65mph avg), after 65 miles I had manage to average 68mpg, overall trip was 134 miles and I averaged 64.5 mpg.  I know the trip measures a few mpg over but still very impressed with that mpg on such a large car with an auto gearbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Im back up to 40mpg on my short distance school run and work driving. 

Did a decent run yesterday. 185 mile round trip which was to and from Blackpool and achieved 46.8mpg. I’m happy with that given the speed I was coming home on the M6, I wasn’t hanging about! And of course there’s the pottering about along the sea front traffic. 

Edited by aldouk

Today and Friday on both journeys I hit 50mpg, according to maxi dot. I will refill my half empty fuel tank tomorrow and calculate a more realistic mileage from amount of fuel used to fill up and the miles covered since my last full tank.  I realise my average mpg will be somewhat lower but it should be interesting.

@Treborgonzo -But how? Today I've done a 400 mile trip constantly driving at highest speed possible  without loosing license. Quite agressive overtaking pedal against the floor and so on. Under these circumstances my car gives me a reading of 38-39mpg (if I converted correct). Mine is a 190dsg 4x4, also used heated steering wheel and seat during three hours and all lights was on during this period also. Summer tyres mounted yesterday.

This actually converts to 46mpg UK style :)

5acd08c83aeb7_Screenshot_20180410-205322_kodaConnect.thumb.jpg.37d1b79fed832bcdead9e1b2c95b3a1d.jpg

Edited by Baverhanne
Used US mpg instead of UK

I'm impressed. I got 51mpg according to my car doing a 45 mile journey back home today. Journey took me approx 1 hour and 5 min of which 20 min travelled on country lanes and the rest of the journey on single carriage A roads.  I recently calculated doing 452 miles with 10.1 gallons which worked out at 44mpg whilst maxi dot trip computer showed 45.7mpg.

My 150 improves every week now it's getting warmer, back to Summer fuel, and the miles on the engine add up. Now at c.9k miles and achieved an average of  65mpg on a 100 mile round trip to Manchester and back yesterday. I was very surprised as it took in crawling city traffic, some ill-advised speeds on the motorway between periods of crawling, and a final stretch on congested A roads and country lanes. Certainly not a steady 56mph all the way!

2 minutes ago, Muff said:

'Cheshire' now it's not nice to gloat at others misfortune. That's pure Schadenfreude

Sorry, that wasn't my intention! How many miles in total has the car done now?

13 hours ago, Muff said:

Mines just done 10k

That's interesting, I'd expect you to be seeing improvements by this point. I'm not sure what the 'official' differential is between the consumption figures for the 190 and 150 are, but I can't imagine they're huge.

2 hours ago, aldouk said:

Impressive @CheshireBumpkin

Id be happy to get anything consistent over 50!

It is the first time I've seen over 60mpg as an average over a journey , so definitely a deviation from what I've seen since the car was delivered. It's generally been between 50 and 55mpg, with a long term average of 54mpg if my memory serves me correctly. 

Bet it was a blip and I never see it again!

8 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

It is the first time I've seen over 60mpg as an average over a journey , so definitely a deviation from what I've seen since the car was delivered. It's generally been between 50 and 55mpg, with a long term average of 54mpg if my memory serves me correctly. 

Bet it was a blip and I never see it again!

When I got my Superb Mk2 TDi 140ps, mine was the same for the first 2000 miles, then we went on a trip down to Melton Mowbray to see some friends, and averaging 65mph on the A1, I saw 67.7 mpg.  Never happened again, but I have seen early 60's on occasion.  Now done almost 45k miles and its long term average is 45mpg, with trip averages between 45 and 55mpg.  I hope the Mk3 gets close to that :)

I've mentioned elsewhere on here that my 150 TDI DSG hatch was averaging 57mpg when I got it in September and 52mpg over the winter.

The fuel consumption has improved suddenly again over the last week or so. I'm now averaging 55mpg and a couple of runs have seen 60mpg on the maxidot trip computer. This is over a mix of dual carriageways/motorways and city driving (including hills, which really don't help if you look at the current fuel consumption on the maxidot) and without trying anything special to maximise the fuel consumption. I presume this is due to the slightly warmer weather and we must be back on summer mix diesel now?

I've found the same on my 190. Bought it in January and was getting average 50, which was quite worrying having come up from a 140 SII where I saw 60+ regularly on the maxidot. Over 30k miles a year that makes quite a bit of difference! Since the cold snap ended I've been seeing c55mpg in the "since start" for each commute (over 56 last night) and the long-term is up to 53. For the last couple of fills I've been using premium diesel (Shell V-Power) to help clean out the engine after winter but haven't noticed it making any further difference - the c55mpg started in early March before I changed it over to the Shell. Will keep it on the Shell until  the end of April, then back to the normal diesel for the summer.

Managed 69.8mpg last week over a 135 mile journey from London to the midlands. This was cruising at around 60mph. Added about 20 mins to the normal journey time. At normal speed it tends to do be about 58-59mpg for that journey.

Managed 49.6mpg today over 12.5 miles across SE London between 7am - 8am (school holidays so traffic better than normal - but still very impressive I thought).

I have a 2016 190 SE L estate, manual, running Pirelli P7s on 19" wheels.  32,000 miles, averaging 49.8 mpg over the last 14,000 miles (since being serviced in August).

The worst I've had was 41mpg, 5 adults, roofbox, and a boot full of camping gear on a 19hour non stop blast to Barcelona from North Wales-1200 miles. We didn't hang about either!

The best I've had was 69.9 mpg on my 30 mile commute home on the A55...sat at 50mph behind a HGV.

I always keep it in eco mode.

A superb car in every sense, I would only swap it for a 190 dsg 4x4 because I do struggle occasionaly with wheelspin in 1st and 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday morning commute - the best figures I have seen so far from my 190 2WD.

image.png.4823a04d22ee7ee7a5e3069c4625f36a.png

Interestingly, the reason I looked was because I was pushing on a bit more than usual, so wanted to see how badly I'd dented the mpg! Very happy indeed - maybe I've got the mythical car that gets better mpg the faster it goes:biggrin:

• Like 2

^^^

They exist.  'Unicorns' the latest of Euro 6 TDI's and some others.

Coasting function functioning and also the RPM just right where momentum / speed is kept up and diesel is being sipped.

(Hypermiling made easy through advances in technology while still having reduced emissions.   Big cars as economical as smaller city cars.)

• Like 1