1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

I haven't driven my 1.5 much since receiving last weekend but so far I haven't noticed this issue in 1st or 2nd gear.  I have stalled it twice pulling out of a junction though! It needs more acceleration than my old Octy. 

I currently own a VW Tiguan 1.4TSI with a manual gearbox and I believe it's a throttle mapping problem as the Tiguan displays the same problems as others have been posting, with what I call short gearing in 1st gear this can cause the car to not have a smooth take off. I am looking to get a Karoq 1.5 with the DSG box when my current lease agreement finishes at the end of the year and am currently looking at what is around with a smallish powerful petrol engine with an auto box.

4 hours ago, Raymondo111 said:

I am looking to get a Karoq 1.5 with the DSG box when my current lease agreement finishes at the end of the year and am currently looking at what is around with a smallish powerful petrol engine with an auto box.

I can't fault the 1.5 Karoq DSG at the moment, although the lease prices aren't as favourable as they were when I ordered mine, hence my my wife as opted for the Kia Soul Sport (1.6T auto), not to everyone's taste but I have to say it's fully loaded with kit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

just bought a VW T-ROC 1.5 TSI Manual and are having the same kangaroo issue as you lot are describing.

If I let the clutch up with no throttle to pull away and then gently accelerate it’s fine, alternatively, 1800 rpm and drop the clutch and she’ll pull away cleanly.

A normal 1400 ish RPM and it bunny hops down the road like a good’un. Quite frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hkp said:

Hello all,

just bought a VW T-ROC 1.5 TSI Manual and are having the same kangaroo issue as you lot are describing.

If I let the clutch up with no throttle to pull away and then gently accelerate it’s fine, alternatively, 1800 rpm and drop the clutch and she’ll pull away cleanly.

A normal 1400 ish RPM and it bunny hops down the road like a good’un. Quite frustrating.

Interesting, I'd of thought that using 1400 rpm to get the car moving seems to be on the high side.

I don't often drive manuals but ISTR that most of my old cars would happily shunt around a car park at 1100/1200 rpm.

Perhaps the operating characteristics of this engine have been compromised to keep it  clean?

Cheers, DC.

(FWIW, I'm  keeping my ancient Superb for a while, these newfangled modern cars are too clever for me.......)

On 10/04/2018 at 17:23, love2drive said:

The 1.5 SEL I had a test drive in seemed as if the brakes were hanging on when moving off after the autohold had come on. Was told to get biting point and the brakes will then come off  then, I managed a smooth get away twice in a 30 minute drive most times it dragged and jolted but I put it down to not getting it quite right, maybe not ?

Collected my car last weekend and the autohold dropped out with slightest touch of the throttle and clutch bite - no drag at all just moves off smoothly at all speeds. The handbrake sometimes sticks and the car jolts very slightly, however by pressing the brake pedal and then deselecting the handbrake it doesn't jolt. Thankfully it doesn't suffer with the stalling / revving issues and is even better to drive than my Octavia 3. Hopefully everyone with an issue can get it sorted and enjoy their cars as much as I am mine.

On 12/04/2018 at 15:29, Raymondo111 said:

I currently own a VW Tiguan 1.4TSI with a manual gearbox and I believe it's a throttle mapping problem as the Tiguan displays the same problems as others have been posting, with what I call short gearing in 1st gear this can cause the car to not have a smooth take off. 

I have a manual 1.4 A4 and no issues. I would probably call it an idiosyncracy rather than a problem bit it does take a bit of getting used to modulate the throttle around.

It does it with auto hold on or off for me.  I'm thinking it is either the quite high first gear, or the mapping of the fuelling at low RPM, or possibly the quite soft rear suspension and the torsion bar rear end.  Many moons ago we had a Polo 1.4 16V (6R shape) and that was easy to bunny hop in as the rear end was soft.

I think it affects too many cars to be DMF failure at such an early stage.  Unless it is a mis-build? (i.e. it has the flywheel from the 1.0).  The thing is, the T-ROC and Karoq are built in different factories.  Is the engine produced at the same facility?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not yet have my Karoc (next week) and it will be an automatic like the T-Roc it replaces.  The T-Roc forum has a similar discussion with kangaroo starts with the 1.5 l petrol engine.

My 2.0 petrol T-Roc requires a little finessing with the accelerator to avoid a jumpy start when acceleration gently. Seems to be a delay while the computer figures out what it should do, depending on the accelerator position and the gear selection? The diesel test cars have not had this problem, so the

I believe it is important to realize that these cars are fly-by-wire, no mechanical connection between the accelerator and the engine, only position sensors.

It seems to me that there is a software problem in this area, which they hopefully will get sorted.

Amazed to read this and wondered why no one has gone back to the dealers to have it rectified because I don’t think the problem will just disappear .

I am not sure there is an issue at all. It would be strange for it to affect some cars and not others. I find out manual 1.5 perfect in terms of throttle mapping.

If I had an issue I would ask to test drive another car.

7 minutes ago, nickfrog said:

I am not sure there is an issue at all. It would be strange for it to affect some cars and not others. I find out manual 1.5 perfect in terms of throttle mapping.

If I had an issue I would ask to test drive another car.

I have found you need about 2000 revs to get a smooth take off in our 1.5Tsi manual and thats with 3,500 miles now on the clock. If your too gentle it leaps forward like a kangaroo, sorry Aussie owners!:D

12 minutes ago, nickfrog said:

Sorry to hear that. I don't actually know how much revs I need but that sounds high. Will check. Have you tried another car for comparison ?

No this is the only Karoq I have driven but 100% happy with everything else concerning the car and just calculated first 10 tanks brim to brim worked out at 49.50 MPG over 3,358 miles so it is more economical than my wife's previous Skoda 1.2Tsi Spaceback which had no ACT to help fuel saving but did feature stop/start which I like on my cars as no point in engine running whilst stuck at the traffic lights or in a jam.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Just joined this forum today

I purchased a 1.5 TSI SEL in April and have experienced exactly the same problems as described here. Having driven cars for more than 35 years, I am confident it's nothing to do with my driving style. My wife has also experienced the issue. The car has completed 1100 miles. I thought maybe the clutch needed bedding in but 1000 miles seems more than enough to me. I have had it in with my local dealer today who has stated that they are unable to find a fault and did not experience the 'engine cough' as I described it, in 1st gear. They also carried out Guided Fault finding with no faults found, Also stated 'pulls away in the same way as other 1.5 Karoqs' Interestingly they also mention that there may be an ECU update in the future I wonder now if Skoda knows about this problem,,,

Having never had such an issue before - can anyone explain how this is likely to be progressed? Do I go back to the dealer and complain again!

Bit concerned about this, don't want these kangaroo starts! Have ordered a 1.5L but only manual I was able to test was 1L.  It was fine though, took off really smoothly. Strange it seems to be happening on some cars and not others.  

Just phoned the dealer as this is concerning me enough to want to change to a 1L but was told as of yesterday that they've stopped taking orders for it due to the long lead times :sadsmile:

So my only option is to either hope for the best with the 1.5 or switch to a DSG. Doing low mileage won't matter with a DSG will it? That was pretty much the only thing that stopped me going for it in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Tom34 said:

Just phoned the dealer as this is concerning me enough to want to change to a 1L but was told as of yesterday that they've stopped taking orders for it due to the long lead times :sadsmile:

So my only option is to either hope for the best with the 1.5 or switch to a DSG. Doing low mileage won't matter with a DSG will it? That was pretty much the only thing that stopped me going for it in the first place. 

Marshal's Skoda in Oxford have 4x 1.0 karoqs for sale advertised with 5 miles on the clock, 2 manual and 2 dsg.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vectis said:

Marshal's Skoda in Oxford have 4x 1.0 karoqs for sale advertised with 5 miles on the clock, 2 manual and 2 dsg.

But I've paid the 1000 deposit now so wouldn't I lose that if at another dealer? 

1 hour ago, Tom34 said:

But I've paid the 1000 deposit now so wouldn't I lose that if at another dealer? 

Unless they would refund

The kangarooing seems to be temperature dependent - mine's been fine for the last couple of weeks, whilst the weather's been warmer, but it's doing it again today in cooler conditions!