1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Spoke with the sales Manager at our dealership today. He was unaware of the problem and to his knowledge we are the first to complain. Fortunately we had taken a four page sample of posts from this site- he was clearly surprised at the extent of this problem. He telephoned Skoda customer Services in our presence and spoke with 2 people there , both stating no knowledge of this first gear problem. We suggested he spoke to the Skoda tech team, which he did and they confirmed there was a problem and were working on a software fix, but had no idea when this would come about. 

Our vehicle is booked in for investigation at the dealership on Thursday : we'll take it from there.

This is our 5th Skoda and we have been with this dealership for a number of years. At the present time we believe them to be genuine - we hope our belief in them is justified.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Spoke with the sales Manager at our dealership today. He was unaware of the problem and to his knowledge we are the first to complain. Fortunately we had taken a four page sample of posts from this site- he was clearly surprised at the extent of this problem. He telephoned Skoda customer Services in our presence and spoke with 2 people there , both stating no knowledge of this first gear problem. We suggested he spoke to the Skoda tech team, which he did and they confirmed there was a problem and were working on a software fix, but had no idea when this would come about. 

Our vehicle is booked in for investigation at the dealership on Thursday : we'll take it from there.

This is our 5th Skoda and we have been with this dealership for a number of years. At the present time we believe them to be genuine - we hope our belief in them is justified.

8 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Did you speak to the Service Manager or a technician?  If yes, were they aware of the problem?

I don’t suppose it would be in the interests of sales staff to admit to a known fault. Good luck anyway. The more complaints there are, the better the chance we have for a soloution. 

Edited by AMC150
Grammatical error

7 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

Yes we did speak with the service dept, who stated they were not aware of this problem. It would appear having spoken with sales staff they are selling mainly DSG vehicles. I must admit, I would buy another Karoq but not with this engine.

Yes it’s a great car apart from thy 1.5 engine. Nowhere near as smooth and responsive as my Octavia 1.4tsi though. My problem is I don’t want a diesel.

I don’t do enough miles to justify one. Second hand diesel vehicle prices appear to be falling  across the board in light of the publicity around diesel and I’m not sure I could live with a 1.0. 

I will test drive one though when the time  comes. It will however be dsg though regardless of my wife’s protestations.

If talking to Service Staff you need to ask are the a Qualified Motor Engineer or Technician  or a Manager of Staff and Receptionists with a NVQ in Keyboard Skills or the like.

If they are not 'Technical'  at least they can go into see a Master Tech in the workshop or pick up a phone.

All the gear, little idea, little mechanical knowledge on the Service desk. Same as at Skoda UK Customer Services. 

'they all do that' or 'never heard of that', 'we will ask Skoda',  VW are working on a fix etc etc .

Get it in writing, get the persons name and job title and even ask their qualifications and maybe how long they have been employed in the VW Network.

The_three_monkeys.jpg.e6b5fbe6aa91b24664e82a0d4fa63dfc.jpg

Edited by Offski

It would appear that you have had problems and I understand your frustration. However, I really don't think that putting up cartoons of monkeys on this thread helps the problem. Especially as I suggested to the people at the dealership that they should visit this site to gauge owner's concerns.

At the moment the people I am in contact  with at the dealership seem to be decent . Let's see what happens.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

Especially as I suggested to the people at the dealership that they should visit this site to gauge owner's concerns.

At the moment the people I am in contact  with at the dealership seem to be decent . Let's see what happens.

I think you are a little naive. Countless time I have been told by Skoda service managers that they ignore forums and social media, I believe it's Skoda UK policy. And that decent dealer will be another one that have never heard of this problem.

Don't confuse courtesy with decency. It nice when they listen, but a lot nicer when then actually do something.

• Like 2

20 pages of this problem and this dealer has never heard of this issue,they told you what you wanted to hear and off you went,so that went well, did anybody at the dealers drive the vehicle to confirm your issue or just fob you off ?

Re Monkeys or other animals. 

Fly with the crows get shot with the crows.   VW know all about 3 monkeys and using monkeys in emission testing, so Skoda employees should not get too upset at a cartoon.

As for See, Say and Hear no Evil that has been the VW Board, Senior Manager and staff all down the line for decades.

A couple are serving jail sentences, arrest warrants are out for others and the Engineers Engineer Dr Martin Winterkorn is just one of the many that signed off the engines and software that left with nice Retirement Packages.

So no more 'Das Auto'  just honesty and winning but the customer and owners trust.      That is going well.

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg

Edited by Offski

Sad555  I'm not sure if you read my post properly. I don't know what you mean when you say (they told me what I wanted to hear) and (they fobbed me off) and (off I went) If you read it again you'll see that  I didn't hear what I wanted to hear.That being " We will replace your car sir" I wasn't fobbed off, as the vehicle is booked in for investigation on Thursday! and yes off I went.

I may end up as frustrated as a lot of people on this site appear to be. I have had dealings with Skoda HQ before! But as I said earlier, let's wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:37, Rustyman said:

as you state the sales manager knew of no issue,skoda customer service + 2 people knew of no issue but the skoda tech team  did know of the issue and are working on a software FIX ,so you would have thought this valuable information would have been passed on to skoda customers and skoda dealers ,I wonder why it wasn't?perhaps skoda dealers are all genuine with customers until something goes wrong.

The worse thing is that Skoda Uk won’t tell the dealerships because if they do them the dealerships will be selling nes cars knowing they have faults and defective.

That would put a lot of dealerships on hard times.

so at the moment Skoda are selling cars knowing there are faults. What else do they know we don’t?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, martin1199 said:

The worse thing is that Skoda Uk won’t tell the dealerships because if they do them the dealerships will be selling nes cars knowing they have faults and defective.

That would put a lot of dealerships on hard times.

so at the moment Skoda are selling cars knowing there are faults. What else do they know we don’t?

Maybe Martin1199 has nit the nail on the head. Has Skoda UK instructed dealers to keep this under wraps, for legal reasons?

So here VWG go again. Yet another engine with issues.

And as for building customer confidence again after Dieselgate you'd think they'd be bending over backwards to solve the issues but no, it could be months!

As ever they are relying on those customers, the majority, who do not frequent forums, to buy their cars and then pulling the wool over their eyes as regards problems.

Someone really does need to get onto Watchdog. It's been awhile since they did a car problem piece and might only be too happy to pick up the cause. Unfortunately it seems that only action like that will make the car manufacturers take notice and act. Sales is the only area where it hurts them, reputation obviously not.

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

I read an article a while ago that pointed out that VW has fired many head engineers from their RnD after the diesel gate (as this was their fault) and as a consequently they have lost the brains to cope with the changes of WLTP and most probably the ability to solve such problems quickly and effectively.

• Confused 1

FIRED!  doubt it,  gardening leave and then off with a Golden parachute.   Many not able to leave Europe incase they are arrested.   While the are employed they might keep their mouth shut.   Then they can plead memory loss,  and other illnesses that those that work for VW and reach high up get.   Some might call it pants on fire syndrome.

59 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

So here VWG go again. Yet another engine with issues.

And as for building customer confidence again after Dieselgate you'd think they'd be bending over backwards to solve the issues but no, it could be months!

As ever they are relying on those customers, the majority, who do not frequent forums, to buy their cars and then pulling the wool over their eyes as regards problems.

Someone really does need to get onto Watchdog. It's been awhile since they did a car problem piece and might only be too happy to pick up the cause. Unfortunately it seems that only action like that will make the car manufacturers take notice and act. Sales is the only area where it hurts them, reputation obviously not.

I’m up for the Watchdog approach if after a reasonable period of time, the problem has not been resolved.

I’ve said this previously but a collective approach to watchdog surely is justified on the basis of the lack of any factual information being provided as to when this will get sorted.

Yesterday I sent a second email to Customer Services asking for specific acceptance that the fault does exist and details of exactly what is being done and when.

Probably  a waste of my time but it’s all good evidence of a continuing complaint and a lack of action. I also advised that a further referral back to the dealer  would not be an acceptable response. 

I’ll keep you updated (should anything happen)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AMC150 said:

I’m up for the Watchdog approach if after a reasonable period of time, the problem has not been resolved.

I’ve said this previously but a collective approach to watchdog surely is justified on the basis of the lack of any factual information being provided as to when this will get sorted.

Yesterday I sent a second email to Customer Services asking for specific acceptance that the fault does exist and details of exactly what is being done and when.

Probably  a waste of my time but it’s all good evidence of a continuing complaint and a lack of action. I also advised that a further referral back to the dealer  would not be an acceptable response. 

I’ll keep you updated (should anything happen)

I've sent Watchdog a message through their "Send us a story" link. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Janner74 said:

31 minutes ago, Janner74 said:

Let’s get the ball rolling!!