1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

@Nick22

Are the Q3 35 1.5 TFSI Manual S-line and Sport deleted from the range?

I love that the 1.5 TFSI S-tronic choice is the Vorsprung, S-line or Sport.   Sport as in 'tie me kangaroo down sport!' 

& Vorsprung as in 'Home in time for tea Zebadee!'

Does paying extra for that 'F' mean they gave a 'F' and sorted those engines out?

Edited by Skoffski
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Are the Q3 1.5 TSI Manual S-line and Sport deleted from the range.

I love that the 1.5 TSI S-tronic choice is the Vorsprung, S-line or Sport.   Sport as in 'tie me kangaroo down sport!' 

That's why we have our Kangoroq permanently in SPORT mode.:notme:

6 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Nick22

Are the Q3 35 1.5 TFSI Manual S-line and Sport deleted from the range?

I love that the 1.5 TFSI S-tronic choice is the Vorsprung, S-line or Sport.   Sport as in 'tie me kangaroo down sport!' 

Does paying extra for that 'F' mean they gave a 'F' and sorted those engines out?

Q3 35 1.5 TFSI manual S-line & Sport still available and being sold....Our Audi dealership was unaware of any issue?!...i sent him the H John article, i'm sure they'll inform existing & new customers accordingly!     

• Haha 1

My friend is selling his 1.5 Karoq , owners of bigger Skoda have battery problems that take a month to replace.

what is going on, I have had 8 new Skoda in 19 yrs never any problems, I don’t think I will be buying another Skoda.

The customer service in Skoda Uk seems to going into free fall, they used to be so good

• Like 2

If there was every any doubt about the kangarooing being a safety issue then trying to drive in a steady manner in todays heavy snow in Cornwall really confirmed it, even winter tyres can't compensate for power surges

• Like 1

What I find extremely difficult to comprehend is that VAG are pumping out these engines knowing that there are issues with them that are going to come to light sooner or later and appear to be dragging their heels on it.

I can’t imagine these vehicles rolling off the production line and kangarooing at that point when in first. 

The 1.5 TSI engine is such a popular engine and is used in a swathe of VAG models across its brands. These include:

T-Roc, Golf, Passat, Tiguan, Arteon, Arona, Leon, Ateca, Tarraco, Octavia, Karoq the list goes on. Granted, in a number of those vehicles it’s DSG or nothing but that doesn’t detract from the fact that if this issue is inherent to this design (or the mapping on the current engine software) that it’s a huge problem that they need to be stepping up to with far greater urgency and far more transparency than they’ve shown thus far.

That motoring publications seem to be glossing over or not aware of this and still championing the 1.5 unit with “car of the year” awards left and right is also a bit worrying. I’m thinking journalistic integrity might be suspect.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

What I find extremely difficult to comprehend is that VAG are pumping out these engines knowing that there are issues with them that are going to come to light sooner or later and appear to be dragging their heels on it.

I can’t imagine these vehicles rolling off the production line and kangarooing at that point when in first. 

The 1.5 TSI engine is such a popular engine and is used in a swathe of VAG models across its brands. These include:

T-Roc, Golf, Passat, Tiguan, Arteon, Arona, Leon, Ateca, Tarraco, Octavia, Karoq the list goes on. Granted, in a number of those vehicles it’s DSG or nothing but that doesn’t detract from the fact that if this issue is inherent to this design (or the mapping on the current engine software) that it’s a huge problem that they need to be stepping up to with far greater urgency and far more transparency than they’ve shown thus far.

That motoring publications seem to be glossing over or not aware of this and still championing the 1.5 unit with “car of the year” awards left and right is also a bit worrying. I’m thinking journalistic integrity might be suspect.

Could it be that they are producing hundreds of thousands of these engines and if even a thousand owners are having problems, though it is serious to the individual, in the vast scheme of things it doesnt warrant abandoning or redesigning the engine?

5 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Could it be that they are producing hundreds of thousands of these engines and if even a thousand owners are having problems, though it is serious to the individual, in the vast scheme of things it doesnt warrant abandoning or redesigning the engine?

Very possible. It would also be interesting to know if this is truly universal in its effect on 1.5 manual transmissions. Forums create act as a lens for problems due to their nature. Many people will not visit forums at all and there may be owners that don’t think there’s an issue. The prevalence of this topic suggests that the issue is very widespread and if there are hundreds of people on forums reporting issues it’s not a wild step to imagine that it’s more than 1000 people having problems.

1 minute ago, Stevieweevie said:

Very possible. It would also be interesting to know if this is truly universal in its effect on 1.5 manual transmissions. Forums create act as a lens for problems due to their nature. Many people will not visit forums at all and there may be owners that don’t think there’s an issue. The prevalence of this topic suggests that the issue is very widespread and if there are hundreds of people on forums reporting issues it’s not a wild step to imagine that it’s more than 1000 people having problems.

Agreed....however on this forum we are talking about 2 dozen or so having the issue. That does not signify to me a large proportion of owners. There are also at least half a dozen who have stated they have no problem with that engine/ manual gearbox on this dorum and they will no doubt be well under represented.

the main thing is that VW/Audi/Skoda/SEAT sort the issue for those with problems, but I doubt that means stopping engine production.

Skoda uk phoned me this morning after my karoq was in the dealership yesterday for a diagnostic check, she told me that my car does indeed need an update although she has no idea when the fix was coming, she is currently arranging for my dealership to provide an equivalent car until the fix is available, possibly 2 litre diesel Karoq, hoping to hear from her Tuesday. 

My car will stay at the dealership until a fix is found, could be 2 weeks, 6 months, no idea. 

• Like 1

Funny you should get a call today.  My contact at Skoda, emailed me today.  While she insists it is not a fault and there is no fix, they are offering me a courtesy car aswell until a software update.

31 minutes ago, Salp said:

Funny you should get a call today.  My contact at Skoda, emailed me today.  While she insists it is not a fault and there is no fix, they are offering me a courtesy car aswell until a software update.

Very interesting ...... I have a call arranged for the 11th.

By now, Skoda UK will be receiving Defect Reports from the DVSA; they have 28 days in which to respond. Maybe they have decided to take things seriously at last, especially as they have had a smattering of rejected vehicles as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salp said:

Why am I being told there is an issue and there is a fix on the way but you’re being told it’s not a fault and there’s no fix? 

I’m talking with Skoda customer services and they’re sorting me a courtesy car until update is available as I said, it’ll be interesting when this ‘update’ does arrive to see if it makes any difference whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Markyj said:

Skoda uk phoned me this morning after my karoq was in the dealership yesterday for a diagnostic check, she told me that my car does indeed need an update although she has no idea when the fix was coming, she is currently arranging for my dealership to provide an equivalent car until the fix is available, possibly 2 litre diesel Karoq, hoping to hear from her Tuesday. 

My car will stay at the dealership until a fix is found, could be 2 weeks, 6 months, no idea. 

1 hour ago, Salp said:

Last time Skoda offered me no replacement car, I had to take mine back with me. Be interesting to see what happens on Monday when mine is in again.

Collected my Karoq SE 1.5 TSI manual (wk 50 build, model year 2019) yesterday and drove back to a friend's house covering around 220miles of motorway, town and rural Sottish roads and then drove home today covering a further 84 miles in sleet and snow on A, B and single track roads and so far I haven't had any issues regarding engine and gearbox at all.

The one thing I did notice was some mist/condensation in the small front light units (fog lights?) which was pointed out to the dealer when the car was collected and this morning it had cleared but was back again when I reached home this afternoon.

Edited by Apprentice
typo

29 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

Collected my Karoq SE 1.5 TSI manual (wk 50 build, model year 2019) yesterday and drove back to a friend's house covering around 220miles of motorway, town and rural Sottish roads and then drove home today covering a further 84 miles in sleet and snow on A, B and single track roads and so far I haven't had any issues regarding engine and gearbox at all.

The one thing I did notice was some mist/condensation in the small front light units (fog lights?) which was pointed out to the dealer when the car was collected and this morning it had cleared but was back again when I reached home this afternoon.

I noticed mine right away after the delivery truck drove off, soon as I got in it..... so hopefully for you it's one of those not affected or yours has a new software release that they are testing on new owners ;) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

I noticed mine right away after the delivery truck drove off, soon as I got in it..... so hopefully for you it's one of those not affected or yours has a new software release that they are testing on new owners ;) 

18 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Noticed mine as soon as I drove off the forecourt on delivery in late July. Took it back initially  on day three and twice since. Still battling the establishment and still no firm acceptance by the dealer of the "fault" 'Just  a load of woolly crap!

"it's your driving style sir" "the car will adapt to your driving style sir" "Use 

Shell V power fuel in Eco mode sir" "It's in the hands of the factory sir" etc etc etc.

Bulls**t!!!!!

C'mon AVG. Its time to Own up,  admit the problem, actually tell those affected, apologise and get the bloody thing sorted!!! 

Mine is on personal contract hire (not pcp) Glad I didn't actually buy it outright as I've always done previously.,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Noticed mine as soon as I drove off the forecourt on delivery in late July. Took it back initially  on day three and twice since. Still battling the establishment and still no firm acceptance by the dealer of the "fault" 'Just  a load of woolly crap!

"it's your driving style sir" "the car will adapt to your driving style sir" "Use 

Shell V power fuel in Eco mode sir" "It's in the hands of the factory sir" etc etc etc.

Bulls**t!!!!!

C'mon AVG. Its time to Own up,  admit the problem, actually tell those affected, apologise and get the bloody thing sorted!!! 

Mine is on personal contract hire (not pcp) Glad I didn't actually buy it outright as I've always done previously.,

“Use Shell VPower fuel in Eco mode” is fully deserving of a poke in the eye. Cheeky sod.

Edited by Breezy

5 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Bulls**t!!!!!

What did your dealer say when you showed him this?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine

25 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

I copied it to the service manager whose reply was “our stance is as it has always been. Its in the hands of the factory”

hear all, see all, say nowt!!!!

33 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

Bulls**t!!!!!

Again as I’ve asked so many times, why are dealers saying this when Skoda uk have insisted my dealer takes mine back and keeps it until the update is available, admitted there is an issue and are giving me a courtesy car. 

8 hours ago, Breezy said:

How long before there's a serious accident at a junction/roundabout caused by this first gear stalling problem? If VW don't resolve it soon they could have another "dieselgate" issue on their hands.

• Like 1