1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Read what a VW spokesman said.... 

In a statement from Volkswagen in Germany, the company said: “Volkswagen is aware of reports from customers complaining that some vehicles featuring the 1.5-litre TSI Evo engine with manual gearbox can be slightly hesitant in the cold-running phase.

"We are currently developing a solution to prevent these rare effects in the affected vehicles.”

Carefully worded and not in anyway acknowledging a technical problem with the engine. Just acknowledging that some customers are complaining etc etc.

Probably the closest you will get to agreeing there is a fault though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Read what a VW spokesman said.... 

In a statement from Volkswagen in Germany, the company said: “Volkswagen is aware of reports from customers complaining that some vehicles featuring the 1.5-litre TSI Evo engine with manual gearbox can be slightly hesitant in the cold-running phase.

"We are currently developing a solution to prevent these rare effects in the affected vehicles.”

Carefully worded and not in anyway acknowledging a technical problem with the engine. Just acknowledging that some customers are complaining etc etc.

Probably the closest you will get to agreeing there is a fault though.

But what about those of us who experience problems regardless of engine temperature??????

There are  loads of us Mr VW!!!

Edited by AMC150
  • Like 1

Similar issues can be found on German forums and probably in other countries as well e.g.

https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/karoq-1-5-benziner-wird-2020-aus-dem-program-gestrichen.125368/

https://www.skodacommunity.de/forums/skoda-karoq-forum.115/

and https://www.karoqforum.de/threads/kalter-motor-ruckelt-leicht-1-5-tsi.126/

online translator https://www.collinsdictionary.com/translator

Haven't had time to check all of the threads :tongueout:

1 hour ago, AMC150 said:

But what about those of us who experience problems regardless of engine temperature??????

There are  loads of us Mr VW!!!

Most of the comments I’ve seen from VW/Skoda are along these lines, I just hope that they’re not limiting their proposed fix to cold engines only. Mine was still doing it yesterday at the end of a 1 hour drive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sieski said:

I've absouluty no need to make it up. Love the car apart from the issues. Nearly 7000miles in 3 months now

Eh? I was replying to Breezy who issued a fair reply.

And my car has the fault cold or warm, so not quite  sure what you refer to.

Edited by TheRealExile
Addition

On 25/01/2019 at 12:09, VAGCF said:

Unbelievable! But for those who do have the fault it's not showing up in the diagnostics anyway is it?!!

I guess because the fault has been designed in (albeit unintentionally) and as far as the diagnostics are concerned there is nothing is registering as being wrong?

You've got it. It was designed in. Deliberately in order to drag that engine through the WLTP Emissions Test. Because if they would fail to get the certification, VAG would have no engine. They were hoping their loyal customers would not notice and that they would swallow the nonsense about "characteristic". (That would only work until some one got seriously hurt.) Anyway people, I have about three weeks ago reported my former marsupial to the DVSA. So far, it's going ok. DVSA didn't dismiss my complaint and they are in talks with the manufacturer. Let's see what happens next!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Xtra2 said:

You've got it. It was designed in. Deliberately in order to drag that engine through the WLTP Emissions Test. Because if they would fail to get the certification, VAG would have no engine. They were hoping their loyal customers would not notice and that they would swallow the nonsense about "characteristic". (That would only work until some one got seriously hurt.) Anyway people, I have about three weeks ago reported my former marsupial to the DVSA. So far, it's going ok. DVSA didn't dismiss my complaint and they are in talks with the manufacturer. Let's see what happens next!

Well done. Is it possible to contact DVSA by e-mail? Did you give them a link to this website? Thanks.

I cannot believe VW's arrogance - have they learned nothing from dieselgate etc? And they are still churning this engine out and supplying it in new cars. It's all a great pity because, apart from the engine nonsense, the Karoq is (IMHO) a terrific car.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bazza123 said:

Well done Xtra2. I have also now reported the safety defect to DVSA. Its very easy to do at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect I would encourage everyone else who is suffering this problem to do the same.

Thanks for the link - on-line form completed and sent; all very straightforward. Like Bazza, I would encourage everyone with a dodgy 1.5 to do the same. 

• Like 1

There is a mention of an issue here, see July 17, 2018 comments:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/skoda-karoq-smallest-czech-suv-long-term-test/

i.e.

Not so good is the engine, which seems slightly flatter and less sparky than those on the launch. This most manifests itself when you are overtaking where you need to red line it through the gears to get past... And sometimes you just can't and you have to obediently slot back behind that really annoying car in front doing 15mph below the speed limit.

and

There's not much low speed torque from the little 1.5-litre engine, so even modest acceleration most often needs a change of gear. And there's also an unpleasant emissions 'hole' in the engine fuel/ignition timing map just when you start off. Failure to rev it enough and the turbo gives up on you and the Karoq stumbles and staggers out of a junction in front of the oncoming Scania.

• Thanks 2

I've had my 1.5 TSI manual Skoda Karoq for a week. I love the design/drive except for the fact I keep 'stalling' at junctions and kangaroo hopping until I get up to about 20mph. Initial I though it was my driving position, but I am glad I found this forum.

I frequently have to pull away from very busy junctions. Several times now I have gone to pull away quickly, but the revs drop off and the car stops moving. Scary when an HGV is coming at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DANGEROUS and need fixing before I get killed. I now need to massively over rev the engine and slip the clutch to ensure I avoid the dead zone – this time of year this leads to the traction control kicking on as I screech off the line with a rapidly wearing out clutch.

3 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

I've had my 1.5 TSI manual Skoda Karoq for a week. I love the design/drive except for the fact I keep 'stalling' at junctions and kangaroo hopping until I get up to about 20mph. Initial I though it was my driving position, but I am glad I found this forum.

I frequently have to pull away from very busy junctions. Several times now I have gone to pull away quickly, but the revs drop off and the car stops moving. Scary when an HGV is coming at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DANGEROUS and need fixing before I get killed. I now need to massively over rev the engine and slip the clutch to ensure I avoid the dead zone – this time of year this leads to the traction control kicking on as I screech off the line with a rapidly wearing out clutch.

Exactly the same with mine. 7500miles since Nov and still not used to it. It's in at Rochdale Skoda on Monday morning for a couple of days. 

12 minutes ago, Sieski said:

Exactly the same with mine. 7500miles since Nov and still not used to it. It's in at Rochdale Skoda on Monday morning for a couple of days.  

Hi, do they have a fix (i.e. ECU map) or are they just looking at it?

11 minutes ago, Sieski said:

I spoke to Skoda customer service yesterday, lady rang me after I emailed them, she told me that they are aware of the issue and are waiting on a fix that apparently engineers are very confident over, she said she’s booking me in to my dealership for a diagnostic check to see if there’s anything showing, obviously the kangarooing and drop in power won’t, if nothing shows she said they will offer me a courtesy car until the fix is available, she’s supposedly ringing me again on Friday. 

She did however say she was texting me her details and case number after our chat but she didn’t but we’ll see how we go over the next week.  

21 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

Hi, do they have a fix (i.e. ECU map) or are they just looking at it?

They promise the fix is coming by Q2 so by end of June, but don't hold your breath. We've been revving ours for 12 months and 12,000 miles now so perhaps they'll fit a new clutch when it gets the characteristic FIXED.:dry:

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

Welcome to our world!

Theres lots of us.

• Like 1

I hope I'm totally wrong but to me it looks like there are fundamental hardware design errors behind these issues, affected by production tolerances, so  some examples do it others dont.

Engineers are probably trying to figure out a software workaround, but from the time taken so far, it appears they are struggling or finding it impossible. Hence the lack of real positive statements.

The 1.5tsi is probably undergoing a fast major redesign as we speak, like they did with the 1.2tsi in 2012. All silent, under cover. Not that it helps existing customers.

Audi aren't risking using the 1.5tsi in their best selling A4 series, the 150ps base engine they use is a new variant of the EA888 2.0tsi tuned for very similar output.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LittleOwl said:

Jezza4567 my advice is hand the car back and reject it now

LittleOwl I would love to if only it was that simple: If I do I will be at financial loss. Admin fees for changing insurance again. My perfectly good car I traded in I can't get back. The fact that the Karoq is the perfect car for my needs after extensive research. What do I get to replace it with as the SEAT Ateca & VW T-Roc have the same issues?

SKODA - Admit the fault - fix it ASAP - remember the emission scandals - the truth gets out eventually and the PR is always worse!

2 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

LittleOwl I would love to if only it was that simple: If I do I will be at financial loss. Admin fees for changing insurance again. My perfectly good car I traded in I can't get back. The fact that the Karoq is the perfect car for my needs after extensive research. What do I get to replace it with as the SEAT Ateca & VW T-Roc have the same issues?

SKODA - Admit the fault - fix it ASAP - remember the emission scandals - the truth gets out eventually and the PR is always worse!

Have you reported it to DVSA yet?  https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

Mine went in for a diagnostic check today with results going straight to Customer Care, the dealership seemed a lot more attentive than usual maybe due to the fact I went through Customer Care, I’m expecting a call tomorrow with my options. 

18 hours ago, xman said:

I hope I'm totally wrong but to me it looks like there are fundamental hardware design errors behind these issues, affected by production tolerances, so  some examples do it others dont.

Engineers are probably trying to figure out a software workaround, but from the time taken so far, it appears they are struggling or finding it impossible. Hence the lack of real positive statements.

The 1.5tsi is probably undergoing a fast major redesign as we speak, like they did with the 1.2tsi in 2012. All silent, under cover. Not that it helps existing customers.

Audi aren't risking using the 1.5tsi in their best selling A4 series, the 150ps base engine they use is a new variant of the EA888 2.0tsi tuned for very similar output.

The 1.5 is going in Audi's new Q3, it's the only option if you want a petrol manual (which we do).....we've cancelled our order as a result of the problems experienced with other VAG models.

Edited by Nick22