1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps you should have bought the more economical manual photo from yesterday after filling the wife's Karoq.

image.jpg

Mine was showing 40.5 mpg on the screen. I think the screen lies!

Edited by Breezy

Mine not good either. Just town driving since new but only 29mpg!

Driving in the recent snow and ice was interesting. I've had 6 different cars in the last 20 years where we live now, and the Karoq is the only one that couldn't get up our drive. The power in front wheels which normally causes the kangaroo characteristic just caused the wheels to spin. Tried pulling away in 2nd gear which normally works, but not the Karoq - too many revs and the wheels started spinning - too few revs and it refused to go like it does occasionally when trying to pull away in second gear from a junction!

DSC_1080.JPG

8 minutes ago, Geordie66 said:

Mine not good either. Just town driving since new but only 29mpg!

Driving in the recent snow and ice was interesting. I've had 6 different cars in the last 20 years where we live now, and the Karoq is the only one that couldn't get up our drive. The power in front wheels which normally causes the kangaroo characteristic just caused the wheels to spin. Tried pulling away in 2nd gear which normally works, but not the Karoq - too many revs and the wheels started spinning - too few revs and it refused to go like it does occasionally when trying to pull away in second gear from a junction!

DSC_1080.JPG

Wife's commute cross country between 2 towns takes 1 hour each way to cover 26 miles each way, hence her 41-42mpg.:notme:

Picked the car back up from RRG, nothing to report other than they have said they acknowledge the issue, lots of people have it and we all await the fix.

At least the car got a clean :rolleyes:

Notice talk that some are being put in replacement cars until the fix (which is the right thing to do), I shall be calling and asking for mine soon as I get this mountain of work out of the way!

On 04/02/2019 at 11:04, Skoffski said:

@MJ1  Maybe you have not seen any DSG driver report that because you have not read the posts in this forum where drivers of 1.5 TSI DSG's have posted that.

They are here though.  Not an internet myth.    Maybe do some more reading if you can be bothered.

Hi

So sorry I missed that one person in a thread of 52 pages of posts...

:dry:

BTW

Would seem to indicate a person with a Manual version not a DSG? But difficult to be sure as no detailed car info in the Profile description?

Lets just say that there have been more people on this thread with Manual Gears stating that it has died on them.

From my reading of it (and personal experience with the car) the DSG might be disguising the issue as it can be at time slightly juddery from cold start but I certainly have not experienced any loss of power.

If I had I would have returned the car as un safe to drive and I do hope FwineF and others affected get it resolved to their satisfaction.

The magnificent advice from LittelOwl should be stuck to the top of the thread for people to find. Big Kudos for her and the help she has offered.

If only everyone was as friendly and helpful...

;)

• Like 1

There were a few posts deleted in some sections that i know were posted and some that were referred to by me and others.

That can always happen as posts are scattered around sections, Octavia, Superb, Karoq, Automotive Chat, & even the Yeti section with members referring to Karoq's.

Edited by Skoffski

5 minutes ago, MJ1 said:

Hi

So sorry I missed that one person in a thread of 52 pages of posts...

:dry:

BTW

Would seem to indicate a person with a Manual version not a DSG? But difficult to be sure as no detailed car info in the Profile description?

Lets just say that there have been more people on this thread with Manual Gears stating that it has died on them.

From my reading of it (and personal experience with the car) the DSG might be disguising the issue as it can be at time slightly juddery from cold start but I certainly have not experienced any loss of power.

If I had I would have returned the car as un safe to drive and I do hope FwineF and others affected get it resolved to their satisfaction.

The magnificent advice from LittelOwl should be stuck to the top of the thread for people to find. Big Kudos for her and the help she has offered.

If only everyone was as friendly and helpful...

;)

On here you need thick skin. If everyone you meet is friendly and helpful you are probably already in HEAVEN.:tongueout:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Picked the car back up from RRG, nothing to report other than they have said they acknowledge the issue, lots of people have it and we all await the fix.

At least the car got a clean :rolleyes:

Notice talk that some are being put in replacement cars until the fix (which is the right thing to do), I shall be calling and asking for mine soon as I get this mountain of work out of the way!

They said pretty much the same to me. Did they email you a YouTube link talking about your car?

1 hour ago, Sieski said:

They said pretty much the same to me. Did they email you a YouTube link talking about your car?

Yes, quite cool really..... mine showing the streak my faulty wiper was leaving!

Called Skoda earlier and they have said they will come back in 24 hours regarding a loan car/ what is happening regarding a fix.

On 12/01/2019 at 10:30, rayx said:

I guess it has to do something with Camshaft Adjustment of both shafts (intake and exhaust), which is used for internal EGR too :cool: As petrol direct injection engine it surely produces a lot of NOx, to fight it, manufacturer use internal EGR in way of valves overlap.

38313_2017_9_Fig7_HTML.jpg

This might explain bit more what could be the root cause of this kangaroo mystery :cool:

Used to lower NOx values as major task of valve overlap, increased production of PM particles is now managed by the GPF/OPF filter ...

EA211.jpg.caefc047a4aa3045c6f7888a4b7db90e.jpg

taken from pre EVO engines same EA211 family

SSP-511_The_New_EA211_Petrol_Engine_Family.pdf

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

Out of interest has anyone with the engine stall issue when pulling away also had issues with the auto parking brake sticking. i.e. needed 2000+ revs to release it?

That might happen after you clean the wheels particularly if the car was  just driven before washing. Happens even with my manual handbrake Octavia sometimes sticks slightly after raining as the car cools down. Not really unusual in my experience.:nerd:

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

I also used to get brake cracking after washing my old car with manual handbrake but only after driving off for the first time post wash. Not at the end of a 100 mile journey in a bit of rain.

My theory ref kangarooing: I needed over 2500 rpm to release the parking brake the other day. The brake then released-car jolted a little against my foot on the over sensitive accelerator- this then started a kangaroo event.

My theory ref engine stops: If the auto brake fails to release at the normal expected clutch biting point there may not be enough revs to avoid the car stalling as you lift the clutch further to pull away. i.e. If no more revs are applied with the auto brake still on the engine bogs down as the clutch is raised, revs drop further, stalls and stops so fails to respond anymore. This would occur most often when trying to get away promptly as you rely on the normal pedal positions associated with the biting point working and the parking brake being off.

• Like 1

Hi.  I just dropped some thoughts in another topic, which I think will help quite a few folk in this thread.

We have a one year old Karoq "Style" (Edition in UK) with 1.5 Tsi DSG and I "trained" ours after a couple of weeks, so it is smoothly obedient and even nearer to perfect.
Briefly, try this: 
Switch off Auto Hold and
Disable Stop/Start.  I tend to drive in E mostly, for the better gear-changes given the good torque from this engine and, having selected the Economy mode, it's easy to remember to tap the "Disable Stop/Start".

The car will now not be fighting your wish to roll forward in a controlled start from traffic lights, eg.

That is an interesting point about stop/start and parking brake and no doubt an issue for some, but if that was the main cause of the behaviour at Junctions and roundabouts would it not affect other engines, particularly the lower powered 1.0ltr?

9 hours ago, Jezza4567 said:

My theory ref kangarooing: I needed over 2500 rpm to release the parking brake the other day. The brake then released-car jolted a little against my foot on the over sensitive accelerator- this then started a kangaroo event.

My theory ref engine stops: If the auto brake fails to release at the normal expected clutch biting point there may not be enough revs to avoid the car stalling as you lift the clutch further to pull away. i.e. If no more revs are applied with the auto brake still on the engine bogs down as the clutch is raised, revs drop further, stalls and stops so fails to respond anymore. This would occur most often when trying to get away promptly as you rely on the normal pedal positions associated with the biting point working and the parking brake being off.

Breezy,  Perhaps the accelerator on the 1.0 is less sensitive so it is easier to set & apply the required amount of throttle. Or it may be less prone to revs dropping as the clutch is raised. Hence allowing the parking brake time to release.

Okay, this may be a fix for one or two individuals but are we really saying that, faced with an abundance of complaints throughout the VAG group on the subject of 1.5tsi engines cutting out or hesitating at junctions and roundabouts....it is above the wit of engineers to work out that it is an issue with the autobraking system an not actually an engine or engine management issue?

Very unlikely it has something to do with the auto parking handbrake.

This should be visible at live data at ECU through diagnostics, would not be issue just for EA211 EVO engine, would not take VAG more than few months to identify and release software update.

It is a pity no 1.5 TSI owner with kangaroo problem has any OBD reader / VCDS or other diagnostics, which could be used to make a log of live data of camshafts adjustment when car jumps while taking off.

Not a chance to be that. the kangarooing is active after you 've released clutch and car has started rolling, so not that unfotunately. It is definately a software thing and proof is my case that the problem only started after a software update i had.

Although i do not take out of the picture the possibility of it being a design fault that only gets masked with another software.

Maybe in the new cars they have changed something hardware wise also.