1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 minute ago, xman said:

Sorry but to spend up to £30k on a car, hope you got a good un knowing that way above average number of unresolved problems with the engine have been reported is tantamount to gambling in my book. Many people simply want a car that works well and not stress for months.

Would you like your extra large spade or just the regular..........?:sweat:

I posed a similar question several pages ago, as a percentage of total 1.5 TSI sales, how many are affected?

1%, 10%, more?

There are lots of happy owners too. A gamble it may be but I suspect the odds for getting a bad one aren't stacked as high as some suspect.

3 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I posed a similar question several pages ago, as a percentage of total 1.5 TSI sales, how many are affected?

1%, 10%, more?

There are lots of happy owners too. A gamble it may be but I suspect the odds for getting a bad one aren't stacked as high as some suspect.

But the odds are irrelevant if you happen to take delivery of an affected one because most people don’t care if other cars work, just theirs.

You don’t know the percentage affected and you are advocating a 20+K gamble. The more you post the more it feels like I’m reading something from an apologist for it.

The issue I have with someone making a recommendation if there is a risk - the person making it doesn’t have to live with the consequences of that risk.

Disagree with it being silly to write off an entire range when there are:

a) Other engines available in the same models in said range which carry apparently little or no risk of having the discussed issue and

b) There are other brands available with comparable models. It’s not as if VW group make all cars

I'm not set against the Karoq or any brand / model, but it’s sad that this topic is even a thing and the issue is as prevalent as it is. Surely it didn’t have to be like this?  These cars are otherwise great. This issue is scandalous.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

But the odds are irrelevant if you happen to take delivery of an affected one.

It almost comes across as though you're surprised its a thing.

All engines have their issues, this isn't VAG's first significant issue, it won't be their last.

I'm no Skoda fanboy, I can be as critical as the best of them. The way they're dealing with the fallout is not new, nor is it unique to VAG.

A few owners have successfully rejected their cars, others are content on waiting for the fix.

I've had my fair share of issues with Skoda's I've owned in the past and fought hard with Skoda UK with varying levels of success. I still bought more cars from them.

So whilst caution is needed, I stand by my advice that a 1.5 TSI could still be a good buy, as long as you're armed with the information available in this and the many other threads, and go into a prospective purchase with your eyes open.

Given how so many posts by automotive manufacturers on Facebook get hijacked by those with grievances against the company, you'd imagine at least a few mentions of the 1.5 TSI issue over several weeks of posts...

Edited by silver1011

Clearly all 1.5 TSI EVO Manuals & DSG's do not suffer from poor behaviour and that is not because drivers are just not aware it is going on.

Plenty drivers / owners have 1.5TSI EVO engine vehicles that drive perfectly.

The proof is in the pudding as the saying goes.

That is the issue really, it allows VW Group to take the pith with those having issues, be that poor running or dangerous running.

The DfT / DVSA in the UK need to be taking things seriously and stop letting VW Group kid them on.

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.55866a263dd9a7e4e9630ab71931318a.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

The DfT / DVSA in the UK need to be taking things seriously and stop letting VW Group kid them on.

Under resourced, spineless, in the pockets of the major manufacturers, held back by government, or all of the above.

I've never worked out which.

• Like 3

^^^

All the Above.

UK Financial interests in the VW Group.

Queens / Royal Families Investments, Pension Funds of UK population & Ex Pats, UK Treasury / Financial Institutions, Banks, Hedge Funds, Car Finance & Leasing, Motor Trade, SMMT, jobs and money on or offshore...

Lord Michael Heseltine / Haymarket Media Group so What Car, Autocar, Piston Heads etc interests, Bentley-VW involvement thanks to Call me Dave.

Plenty UK Politicians & Peers of the realm will have money interests in Qatar / Germany.

All tied up in the Pyramid Selling / Financing arrangements that have VW Group where they are.

Lots of vehicles owned by VW Group Finance on money borrowed from many sources and vehicles used and not worth much sitting on the balance sheets 

and in dealerships on money borrowed from the owners of WBAC & BCA's etc.

Edited by Skoffski

If that's the case. Then it looks like it is not software. It must be hardware related and software only covers it. Mine which is a pre wltp model, did not initially have the problem. It did though have a strange over revving when starting in 1st. Which now leads me to the conclusion that it was only covering the problem. I had a software update after an ECU fault and then the kangaroo came out of it's sack! If it was software, all models would be affected. Wouldn't they? It looks like there is a hardware missconfiguration rather than a fault. And they are trying to solve it by playing with the software. 

What do you think?

All thoughts the problems of kangarooing and loss of drive/no reaction on accelerator could be caused by any hardware are false ...

As this is topic under Karoq, I will not point out again anything related to other cars from VAG except those two, which share same engine ECU as Karoq does. Those two are VW T-Roc and Seat Ateca.

According VAG parts catalogue

Karoq use engine ECU

05E906018 P  till 30.7.2018 (cars without OPF / GPF filters, manual or DSG, front wheel drive)

05E906018 R  from 30.7.2018 (cars with OPF / GPF filters, manual or DSG, front wheel drive)

05E906018 S  from 26.11.2018 (cars with OPF / GPF filters, DSG with 4x4 wheel drive)

T-Roc use engine ECU

05E906018 P   no more details published

05E906018 R   no more details published

05E906018 S   no more details published

Ateca use engine ECU

05E906018 R  (manual or DSG, front wheel drive)

05E906018 S  ( DSG with 4x4 wheel drive)

it is obvious Skoda has their parts at ETKA most detailed.

VAG informed the both mentioned issues are only minor ones and should be solved by software update of engine ECU.

So, without a need to log in erWin to download latest files of update release, you can check how VAG manages their software update releases and which brand at VAG does what here...

https://vag-flashinfo.de/index.php?partno=05E906018&as=

This is confirmed by Skoda TPI 2050744/8, its just currious VW still does not apply update for the most problematic 05E906018 R at T-Roc, file version 7421__V001 available only for Skoda and Seat may be as test brands ...

Update likely not working 100% on Karoq as one user desribes here on Briskoda forum ...

11.JPG.97e3e94c2ddfb1c04c0c023f05035f68.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5236686

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone else posted that Skoda informed him that this update is only to do with the flat spot problem and not the kangaroo. For this a new update will follow within 2 months.

21 hours ago, fidelio said:

If that's the case. Then it looks like it is not software. It must be hardware related and software only covers it. Mine which is a pre wltp model, did not initially have the problem. It did though have a strange over revving when starting in 1st. Which now leads me to the conclusion that it was only covering the problem. I had a software update after an ECU fault and then the kangaroo came out of it's sack! If it was software, all models would be affected. Wouldn't they? It looks like there is a hardware missconfiguration rather than a fault. And they are trying to solve it by playing with the software. 

What do you think?

The automatic increase in rpm when setting off is likely to be the anti-stall feature, again software driven and most prevalent in petrol engines. It is evident on my 1.4 TSI.

The 1.5 TSI is essentially the 1.4 TSI with a revised combustion/injection cycle and a Gasoline Particulate Filter, with relatively minor hardware revisions to accommodate them. All geared towards being able to fulfil the WLTP qualification criteria, that the 1.4 TSI in its current configuration would not have been able to do...

12 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The 1.5 TSI is essentially the 1.4 TSI with a revised combustion/injection cycle and a Gasoline Particulate Filter, with relatively minor hardware revisions to accommodate them. All geared towards being able to fulfil the WLTP qualification criteria, that the 1.4 TSI in its current configuration would not have been able to do..

Not true, its heavily redesigned, crankcase, cooling, exhaust, inlet manifolds, cylinder head and much more. Still an Otto cycle engine in 150ps form like the 1.4tsi. GPF came only after Jun 2018.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xman said:

Not true, its heavily redesigned, crankcase, cooling, exhaust, inlet manifolds, cylinder head and much more. Still an Otto cycle engine in 150ps form like the 1.4tsi. GPF came only after Jun 2018.

Like xman states our late 2017 built Karoq 1.5TSi does not have a GPF fitted thankfully.:thumbup:

Just now, silver1011 said:

So yours is even more similar to the 1.4 TSI ;)

Not really my Superb 1.4TSi never misbehaved itself first thing in the morning and the 1.5TSi will duplicate a 17 year old taking their first lesson with no idea what the clutch pedal is for.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The automatic increase in rpm when setting off is likely to be the anti-stall feature, again software driven and most prevalent in petrol engines. It is evident on my 1.4 TSI.

Mine, after the update does not have the "anti-stall" feature but does have the kangaroo. So not sure of it is that you are stating.