1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

On 24/05/2019 at 22:58, xman said:

Sorry but to spend up to £30k on a car, hope you got a good un knowing that way above average number of unresolved problems with the engine have been reported is tantamount to gambling in my book. Many people simply want a car that works well and not stress for months.

Exactly my thoughts with it being a lottery and not willing to take the risk with the 1.5 petrol in any of VWG products which is why I've ordered elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, fidelio said:

Mine, after the update does not have the "anti-stall" feature but does have the kangaroo. So not sure of it is that you are stating.

I'd be surprised if they've removed it completely, perhaps made it less invasive / noticeable.

You don't notice its existence. I am not talking for the new update though. I haven't had that yet. I m an MY18. Never had the stall problem in second gear either.

Edited by fidelio
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a call from my Service Manager who told me he’s just received an email from Skoda advising him that the  fix will be available “sometime during the next two months.”

Now looks like it probably won’t be during Q2  as previously  advised.

My car is on contract hire and I’ve told Skoda that if it isnt sorted by its first  birthday on 13th July, I want out of the  contract with no penalty to me as one year should be sufficient time to sort the problem. 

They’ve refunded 10% of my monthly rentals and have put in writing that they will look at options to release me from the contract if it isn’t sorted.

My fingers  are now firmly crossed!!

Got a call from Skoda customer services this afternoon. Software update will be in 2 months on MY18 1.5tsi. Not holding my breath. I"ve been told before there will be an update, there won't be an update and then nothing in foreseeable future. Good news on fuel consumption though. 1.5 TSI Manual. Why drive a diesel.

20190605_182832.thumb.jpg.c7c8ead6e35a604a4f638fafd7d12dbc.jpg

20190605_182903.jpg

48 minutes ago, Zengt12 said:

Got a call from Skoda customer services this afternoon. Software update will be in 2 months on MY18 1.5tsi. Not holding my breath. I"ve been told before there will be an update, there won't be an update and then nothing in foreseeable future. Good news on fuel consumption though. 1.5 TSI Manual. Why drive a diesel.

20190605_182832.thumb.jpg.c7c8ead6e35a604a4f638fafd7d12dbc.jpg

20190605_182903.jpg

Mine is all short urban journeys and average is mpg is 37. Not bad but nowhere near your figure.

Best Ive ever got is 48mpg, more usual is less than 40 with an overall mpg at 2000miles of 36mpg and that is on the computer which is optimistic. Cant see me ever acheiving over 60mpg on a decent journey and wouldnt expect to either in a petrol vehicle with dsg box.

1 minute ago, Breezy said:

Best Ive ever got is 48mpg, more usual is less than 40 with an overall mpg at 2000miles of 36mpg and that is on the computer which is optimistic. Cant see me ever acheiving over 60mpg on a decent journey and wouldnt expect to either in a petrol vehicle with dsg box.

Our manual 1.5TSi has over 16,000 miles on it now and dropped a friend off at the central bus station late last night (very little traffic) and 26 mile return trip averaged 50.9mpg. Long term is over 49mpg.:thumbup:

Well 62.2mpg is something to dream about, at the moment on a round trip of 44 miles I get 45-49 mpg and the best so far was 50.4 mpg on a longer round trip of 140 miles, the vehicle mileage is around 2600 miles.

Never got near that mpg figure in my Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC either.

I normally get around 50mpg driving in all types of traffic. This week I'm working in a different place and there are 17 miles of 50 mph speed limit on M20 motorway. I just put it on cruise. Driving slower does make a difference.

• Like 1

Done almost 1000 miles since my 1st gear power loss update & all still good - the update has solved the issue. I can accelerate away with confidence. Fuel economy is also slightly better. :biggrin:

As its summer the kangarooing has not been an issue. I understand there is a second update soon to fix this.

• Like 1

I had an email from VWFS (mine is personal contract hire from July 2018) stating that the TPI fix would be available in May.  I have booked my car in for its annual/first service and the TPI fix in early July (didn't want to be an early adopter). I also have an email from the dealer saying that the fix is available for my car and will be installed at that date.   The above messages give me cause for concern yet again.     As a non-mechanical person can someone explain to me: * what they will do with this fix, * what are they claiming it will fix (the drivers like me call it kangarooing but we have had the words characteristic used initially and the latest seems to be juddering) * from those who have had installed does it truly fix the kangarooing from your perspective and/or the dealer perspective.

7 minutes ago, RMCM said:

I had an email from VWFS (mine is personal contract hire from July 2018) stating that the TPI fix would be available in May.  I have booked my car in for its annual/first service and the TPI fix in early July (didn't want to be an early adopter). I also have an email from the dealer saying that the fix is available for my car and will be installed at that date.   The above messages give me cause for concern yet again.     As a non-mechanical person can someone explain to me: * what they will do with this fix, * what are they claiming it will fix (the drivers like me call it kangarooing but we have had the words characteristic used initially and the latest seems to be juddering) * from those who have had installed does it truly fix the kangarooing from your perspective and/or the dealer perspective.

One dealer tells people the fix is available for my18 cars, others (including mine) say it isn’t and will be another two months!!

Someone is telling porky’s!!!

Im hoping it isn’t done by July 13th, it’s first birthday,because if not, it’s getting handed back!!

A year is NOT enough, it’s far too long.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RMCM said:

No, it doesn't fix the kangarooing!

It’s interesting that you’ve booked your car in for service. They’ve told me mine doesn’t need one having done only 3k and the schedule is set for miles not time.

13 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

It’s interesting that you’ve booked your car in for service. They’ve told me mine doesn’t need one having done only 3k and the schedule is set for miles not time.

The dealer I sourced it from sent me an email reminder about the service this week! I actually use a different dealer closer to home who were happy (naturally) to take the booking. Mileage will be around 8500.

1 hour ago, AMC150 said:

One dealer tells people the fix is available for my18 cars, others (including mine) say it isn’t and will be another two months!!

Someone is telling porky’s!!!

Im hoping it isn’t done by July 13th, it’s first birthday,because if not, it’s getting handed back!!

A year is NOT enough, it’s far too long.

1 hour ago, RMCM said:

The dealer I sourced it from sent me an email reminder about the service this week! I actually use a different dealer closer to home who were happy (naturally) to take the booking. Mileage will be around 8500.

Thanks. I’ll call my dealer again to check. Don’t want want them creating issues when I return it at the end of July if it’s not fixed by then.

You would be better off E mailing the Dealer Principal at the Dealership you deal with and get the replies in writing, 

they can put the Workshop Manager or whoever in charge of replying, but you need to deal with a named person.

Same with Skoda / VW Customer Services.

They are playing Customers / Owners.  Really they are at it and just getting away with this month after month.