Tyre/Road Noise advice

Hello all, 

I’m about to replace tyres on my SE TSi and currently have Pirelli P1’s, size is 215/55/17. 

Looking to replace with a mid range alternative, just looking for any advice out there? 

Dont particularly care about wet grip or any performance related metrics, but do care about sourcing a very quiet tyre if possible. 

Thanks in advance! 

I fitted Continental Max Contact 5 in this size to my SE Business, replacing P7s. They were fantasticaly quiet and had great ride and grip too. Higher rolling resistance though which made it feel a little slower off the line.  Still miss the silence and ride quality as I have an SEL on 18”s now. MASSIVE noise difference from the Pirellis. 

replaced stock Pirelli P7 215/55r17 after 17000km cause one blew up and they were so noisy

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

by Michelin Primacy 3 225/55r17 (+1.5% in diameter)

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/378824-low-frequency-boom-in-cabin/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4886031

11 hours ago, FelisBengalensis said:

Uniroyal ‘Rainsport3’ set just fitted to mine and are noticeably quieter.  Around £100 a corner fitted.

Uniroyal are part of the Continental tyre family so should be OK.  Dual tread pattern design.

Had the Uniroyal Rainsport3's on my Audi A6 and they were probably the quietest tyre I've ever used (2nd were Avon something-or-others).

I've got Goodyears on my Superb 2 at the moment, and they are much quieter than the original Pirelli's

How do the noise rating on the tyre label tie in with peoples actual experience?

Is the Rainsport 3 rating different to the P7 ?

For example I just checked on Tyre Shopper & for 225x45x17, load 91, Y rated & the P7 is 71 dB & Rainsport 3  is 71 dB

I think the noise rating is based on a measurement outside the car as it passes.  Obviously, this will be related to the amount of noise that enters the cabin but is not the whole story.  Things like vibration that travel through the suspension, drivetrain etc. that cause noise wouldn't be included.  Some of the car magazines include a measurement inside the car as part of their tests which would be more accurate but still flawed unless you can find a review of the exact size of tyre using a superb as the test vehicle.  I'd go with the opinions of people on here first :)

12 hours ago, DavidGee said:

thanks for the reply, did you change all 4 tyres of just front 2? Do you remember the approx cost? 

All 4, £90 each fitted. 

For whats its worth - I've always found Pirelli tyres to be louder than alternatives whenever I've had them fitted to a car of mine.

Edited by dchbrown

6 minutes ago, dchbrown said:

For whats its worth - I've always found Pirelli tyres to be more 5hit than alternatives whenever I've had them fitted to a car of mine.

FTFY :biggrin:

3 hours ago, DavidGee said:

was there a big difference in road noise with the Michelin’s? 

Michelins are quieter,

but i still thinking about experiment with insert ~2cm sound deadening foam inside tires

I bought mine in winter and tyres noise was reasonable. I thought it will be better on summer tyres (P7 R18). Boy I was wrong :) . 

It is like I'm sitting in a plane now . I do not understand how these youtube reviewers do not mention this.

Should I buy new tyres or switch to  R17 wheels ?

Tyre/road noise is a massive massive disappointment in my new 1.4 SEL. By far noisier than the Fabia ii and Octavia ii we also have. I only hope that when eventually the P7's are changed that things will get better.

When ordering I seriously considered downgrading to the 17" mainly for better ride and cheaper tyres but my inner self couldn't bring myself to do it for no reduction in price from Skoda.

Although it's very much early days for me, I must say all those gushing reviews I read, particularly the videos, do exaggerate the ride quality and no mention of road noise which is immediately obvious on the standard P7 we seem to get in the UK.

I did recently a new Superb in the showroom on 18” Continental Sport Contacts.....and I was jealous/annoyed/sad at seeing that.

I will probably be going to over to either Michelin Crossclimate or Vredestein Quattrac 5 when the P7s wear out (based on experience with our other cars) though that's going to be at least 3 years away.

If I were to advise anyone ordering new, seriously consider the Canton option as this is advertised in the latest brochure as having vehicle noise cancellation. And also the acoustic front windows, but these are not are available in the Uk, no idea why not.

Edited by xman

I'm coming from motorcycling, so the P7's seem pretty quiet to me... As far as Canton noise cancelling goes, that's ad-speak if I ever heard it. I've got Canton. I sounds good, too. But it's noise-masking, not noise-cancelling.

I would try Avon tyres, if they made a 19" – but they don't. Always had a good wet reputation, which makes sense in south Wales. Or London lately.

• Like 1

I do a lot of miles, just put the P7s it came with back on having bust two of the Sottozeros on pot holes, and was due to go back to summers anyway. They ain't noticeably louder than any other tyre or car I've had...

Continental ContiSportContact with their anti puncture techno. Much quieter than the Pirelli's and should last longer. £663 for all four fittend and tracking at Micheldever tyres (their local franchise) last Friday.

14 hours ago, xman said:

When ordering I seriously considered downgrading to the 17" mainly for better ride and cheaper tyres but my inner self couldn't bring myself to do it for no reduction in price from Skoda.

I chose the 17" because I had just had the unpleasant experience of low profile tyres on a Focus and was determined not to repeat that.

With all the comments about P7's I'm glad I did. I find the ride good and the noise level acceptable.

It was meant to have super rowi tyres but it came with Continental's which didn't worry me.

40 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

my next tires will have sound deadening foam,
sadly, but i can't find any DIY project with success, this experiment failed after 6 months :(
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/diy-solution-to-deadening-tire-noise.38598/page-12#post-1219206

DSC_6103.JPG.4e4c383104ad738eb02fad912190c644.JPG

I am always stunned when I see the next totally stupid idea.

Appears you have far too much time on your hands.

21 minutes ago, xman said:

Stupid and dangerous

7 minutes ago, skidpan said:

next totally stupid idea.

yes, they all are stupid:

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/why-michelin/michelin-acoustic-technology.html

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/contisilent

• Like 1

I would be really worried about the shell overheating and no successful test means it’s unlikely to help. I think tyre noise more to do with tread design (oscillation frequency/slap) and the silica content than the internal chamber. I know sound can travel through an air gap, but if it was significant amplification I would expect ultra low profile and run flat models to be quieter.

I think lining the wheel wells (behind the liner?) would give better results. Or a set of really quiet tyres:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/yokohama/advan-fleva-v701/215-55-r17-94w-765303