Octavia 245 Owners Club

18 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Hmmmm, it's gonna depend on the rev count at the point of gear change, if you look at a dyno chart of a factory standard 245, you'll be able to see were the max torque is.

I'd hazzard a guess you get the snap at a certain rev range which relates to the torque available at those revs as 2nd engages. To complicate the matter 1st & 2nd gear have torque limiting therefore, if its only 2nd that's a bit snappy that's probably the torque limiting getting it wrong.

I used to find the DSG sliding the gear changes especially when WOT, I've corrected that now with a DSG remap from DTUK & it's much faster, harder & smoother than the standard setup

That would make sense why it only happens on occasion.  I will keep an eye on the rev counter to see if I can point when it happens. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Hmmmm, it's gonna depend on the rev count at the point of gear change, if you look at a dyno chart of a factory standard 245, you'll be able to see were the max torque is.

I'd hazzard a guess you get the snap at a certain rev range which relates to the torque available at those revs as 2nd engages. To complicate the matter 1st & 2nd gear have torque limiting therefore, if its only 2nd that's a bit snappy that's probably the torque limiting getting it wrong.

I used to find the DSG sliding the gear changes especially when WOT, I've corrected that now with a DSG remap from DTUK & it's much faster, harder & smoother than the standard setup

When my 245 was standard the maximum torque of 400NM was at just under 2,700 rpm which equates to about 27mph in 2nd gear if that helps. However as you 7 speed DSG boys may have lower gearing and therefore snappier acceleration than my 6 speed manual. Can you see at what speed your boxes change into 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. Just interested because my manual does 39mph in 1st, 71mph in 2nd, 105mph in 3rd and 136mph in 4th gear.:party:

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

When my 245 was standard the maximum torque of 400NM was at just under 2,700 rpm which equates to about 27mph in 2nd gear if that helps. However as you 7 speed DSG boys may have lower gearing and therefore snappier acceleration than my 6 speed manual. Can you see at what speed your boxes change into 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. Just interested because my manual does 39mph in 1st, 71mph in 2nd, 105mph in 3rd and 136mph in 4th gear.:party:

Gonna be hard to check those max speed per gear as the DSG changes so fast but, I'll try. I do know mine is still in 4th a 141mph though 

1 minute ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Gonna be hard to check those max speed per gear as the DSG changes so fast but, I'll try. I do know mine is still in 4th a 141mph though 

I needed 6th when I hit 165mph. Will have to do another v-max run when it gets the stage 2 bits soon. Should reach 175mph. Not too shabby for a Skoda, the but of all those jokes. Mine could be used as a skip as it has a sunroof.:D

I've got a question for DSG users in particular.

When driving in any mode other than normal, I.e Sport, the maxidot shows S1-7, but everytime the engine is turned off and back on, the drive mode reverts back to normal and shows up on the maxidot as D1-7.

Yet when pressing VRS button it'll tell me that it's still in sport, I have to tap sport again on screen, or everytime I restart the engine, hit the vrs button 5 times (1st tap brings up the menu, 4 more cycles through back to the mode selected before switching off)

I'll get a picture off this tomorrow morning and add it to the post.

I have mentioned this to my local skoda, on 2 separate occasions and to 2 different people (1 sales guy, 1 service guy) both have said "it's just the way the cars are".

The question, does everyone elses DSG do this?

7 minutes ago, Black Howling said:

When driving in any mode other than normal, I.e Sport, the maxidot shows S1-7, but everytime the engine is turned off and back on, the drive mode reverts back to normal and shows up on the maxidot as D1-7.

Yet when pressing VRS button it'll tell me that it's still in sport, I have to tap sport again on screen, or everytime I restart the engine, hit the vrs button 5 times (1st tap brings up the menu, 4 more cycles through back to the mode selected before switching off)

I have mentioned this to my local skoda, on 2 separate occasions and to 2 different people (1 sales guy, 1 service guy) both have said "it's just the way the cars are".

Mine has it also, but I think it's normal.

9 hours ago, pkoconnor said:

Can I ask other DSG  owners.

I noticed a difference in  the modes when you floor it from stand still.

Drive - floor it - silky smooth all gears

Sport - floor it Silky smooth all gears

Manual - floor it - 1st gear change into 2nd and it feels like snaps into gear with a wheel hop.  This is not always just occasionally but you do feel it.. All other changes are fine.

Anybody else felt anything similar?  or is that just a characteristic of the box.. 

Yes.

Manual mode, esp off

1st into 2nd gear a nice little wheel hop, 2nd into 3th gear also a little wheel hop. It does this when I shift close to the red line and it also slams into the gears.

I drive on 102 RON (Aral Ultimate) with a standard setup. 

Edited by JurgenM
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Black Howling said:

Yes mine does it, it's easy to just pull the shift selector back to change to Sport

1 minute ago, StealthRS245 said:

Yes mine does it, it's easy to just pull the shift selector back to change to Sport

It does it when driving eco or individual modes too, I generally drive eco when commuting as it's 20 miles each way and 90% motorway, I work 7 till 7, both days and nights so I commute earlier or later than most people, minimal traffic, cruise control all the way.

It's just annoying having to mash the vrs button everytime I get in the car to get it back into eco when it's telling me it's already in eco, but it isn't.

Oh, just for those that like this info, my mpg usually lands around 35. One time and one time only I managed 42mpg, but I was driving extremely eco, cruising on the flats/up hills, coasting every downhill, AC off. I commute between Burnley and Bury, practically none of it is flat 

8 hours ago, Black Howling said:

It does it to protect a cold engine

Would you want to rev your engine 6-1/2k revs when cold ?

4 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

It does it to protect a cold engine

Would you want to rev your engine 6-1/2k revs when cold ?

Well that's an answer that actually makes sense, I only used sport as an example though as I mentioned in my last message I spend most of my time driving in eco, I generally avoid using sport till its warmed up too.

The bit that I find annoying is the fact the dash says it's in normal, but the drive mode selection says it's in the previous mode, if it was intentional, you'd have thought the boffins at vag/skoda would have the drive mode selection show that it's reverted back to normal mode too.

40 minutes ago, Black Howling said:

Well that's an answer that actually makes sense, I only used sport as an example though as I mentioned in my last message I spend most of my time driving in eco, I generally avoid using sport till its warmed up too.

The bit that I find annoying is the fact the dash says it's in normal, but the drive mode selection says it's in the previous mode, if it was intentional, you'd have thought the boffins at vag/skoda would have the drive mode selection show that it's reverted back to normal mode too.

Its not though.   Everything else steering, dcc, engine sound stays in sport, it’s only  the gearbox that drops back to drive.

All you need to do is pull the shifter down to get it back to sport again once warmed up, no need to press any buttons.  

As said, it’s so you ain’t revving the tits off a cold engine. 

3 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Its not though.   Everything else steering, dcc, engine sound stays in sport, it’s only  the gearbox that drops back to drive.

All you need to do is pull the shifter down to get it back to sport again once warmed up, no need to press any buttons.  

As said, it’s so you ain’t revving the tits off a cold engine. 

Muzza might as well start the ball rolling with you as you have been a pioneer (I am being genuine for once) in developing the potential of the 245. As you have stated so well before with just a few mods the mechanical/electronic grip of the 245 can be fully exploited (on a dry road at least) and as everyone is aware mine goes full on stage 2 in 10 days time. As previously mentioned I'm hoping for a minimum 350bhp and 500NM of torque. Like you a bigger turbo is not for me because being FWD too much power could actually ruin the car and take it out of its SWEET SPOT as you so rightly pointed out. But I would appreciate you having a guess as to where the final figure will be on 23rd October. TIA.:clap:

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Muzza might as well start the ball rolling with you as you have been a pioneer (I am being genuine for once) in developing the potential of the 245. As you have stated so well before with just a few mods the mechanical/electronic grip of the 245 can be fully exploited (on a dry road at least) and as everyone is aware mine goes full on stage 2 in 10 days time. As previously mentioned I'm hoping for a minimum 350bhp and 500NM of torque. Like you a bigger turbo is not for me because being FWD too much power could actually ruin the car and take it out of its SWEET SPOT as you so rightly pointed out. But I would appreciate you having a guess as to where the final figure will be on 23rd October. TIA.:clap:

Erm..       what downpipe, intake and intercooler are you planning fitting and where’s doing the remap?

7 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Erm..       what downpipe, intake and intercooler are you planning fitting and where’s doing the remap?

Same downpipe as you, Airtec intake and Airtec intercooler, full 3" Milltek stainless exhaust with resonated sports cat and stage 2 remap all done by AmD Essex (they prepare the Audi BTCC racers in this years series). They also have an advanced 4WD rolling road capable of 750bhp.:)

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Same downpipe as you, Airtec intake and Airtec intercooler, full 3" Milltek stainless exhaust with resonated sports cat and stage 2 remap all done by AmD Essex (they prepare the Audi BTCC racers in this years series). They also have an advanced 4WD rolling road capable of 750bhp.:)

I just removed and sold my Scorpion Resonated system after a week.   Far too boomy inside the car, sounded great outside though.   Back to standard cat back for me and couldn’t be happier (wife and kids too!) so hope you have a better experience with the Milltek.

Your intercooler will be good for warmer ambient temps next year but at this time of year won’t make much difference.   I wasn’t getting any timing pull with intake temps hitting 115f when I last ran mine. 

So with the same downpipe and an intake and remap I’d expect similar numbers to me, maybe a tad more as the remap should be, in theory, better than the box.  I’ll say 335bhp and 500nm.

Make sure they do a before and after on the day, you’ll really see the true gains then.

I hope you don’t have the same experience as me with the exhaust though!! 

15 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

I just removed and sold my Scorpion Resonated system after a week.   Far too boomy inside the car, sounded great outside though.   Back to standard cat back for me and couldn’t be happier (wife and kids too!) so hope you have a better experience with the Milltek.

Your intercooler will be good for warmer ambient temps next year but at this time of year won’t make much difference.   I wasn’t getting any timing pull with intake temps hitting 115f when I last ran mine. 

So with the same downpipe and an intake and remap I’d expect similar numbers to me, maybe a tad more as the remap should be, in theory, better than the box.  I’ll say 335bhp and 500nm.

Make sure they do a before and after on the day, you’ll really see the true gains then.

I hope you don’t have the same experience as me with the exhaust though!! 

Thanks for that they already did the stage 1 remap back in March so already know it gives 302bhp at 5,500rpm and 467NM at 2,800rpm with everything factory standard running 99 V-Power since new. Skoda claim 370NM from the factory with 95 octane but mine gave a healthy 400NM when standard on Shell. Hope the exhaust being a complete system and expensive (saved up 14months to afford it) will be not too boomy as 70% of my annual mileage (8,400 miles of cruising below 2,300rpm) is on the M1. Will let all you fellow 245 drivers what the results are and full costs if anyone else wants to take the plunge. Cheers Muzza for your input and I have enjoyed reading all of your posts, they have been most informative which is really the point of these forums to share but some seem to like having a bit of a dig at those pushing the envelope to what is possible. Suppose that is only human nature as I never take myself very seriously hence the SHY handle which is completely the opposite to my personality as my friends would testify. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.:)

Good luck with it, I hope you get what you’re after, it’s a lot of money to spend and if I was doing it again I’d skip the intake and the cat back part of the exhaust.  The stock intake is fine with a panel filter replacement and not as loud, as is the standard exhaust cat back.

Can you clarify though?   You said same downpipe as me, as in the HJS 245 specific one but then go on to mention the Milltek 3” with sport cat?  Which is it?

The only reason I went with the HJS is that it can be run on a standard or boxed car with no CEL due to having dual, very high quality, cats (100cell + 200cell).   Due to being remapped you wouldn’t need that, a one cat downpipe would be fine (as the remap maps out the downpipe CEL’s from the ECU) and would flow marginally better too whilst being less expensive.  My downpipe was £1450 on its own!!  funny money but I keep the car warranty friendly as it can just be removed if needed along with the JB4, which is what I wanted.

Edited by Muzza80

4 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Good luck with it, I hope you get what you’re after, it’s a lot of money to spend and if I was doing it again I’d skip the intake and the cat back part of the exhaust.  The stock intake is fine with a panel filter replacement and not as loud, as is the standard exhaust cat back.

Can you clarify though?   You said same downpipe as me, as in the HJS 245 specific one but then go on to mention the Milltek 3” with sport cat?  Which is it?

The only reason I went with the HJS is that it can be run on a standard or boxed car with no CEL due to having dual, very high quality, cats (100cell + 200cell).   Due to being remapped you wouldn’t need that, a one cat downpipe would be fine (as the remap maps out the downpipe CEL’s from the ECU) and would flow marginally better too whilst being less expensive.  My downpipe was £1450 on its own!!  funny money but I keep the car warranty friendly as it can just be removed if needed along with the JB4, which is what I wanted.

I believe HJS supply the downpipe to Milltek in the UK. My downpipe for £600 and the rest of the exhaust was around £1,200.

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I believe HJS supply the downpipe to Milltek in the UK. My downpipe for £600 and the rest of the exhaust was around £1,200.

Got ya.

They manufacture the cat, Milltek build the downpipe around it. 

Should be good, hopefully not too loud though!    Be interested to see what you make of it.

16 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

Put the K&n filter in last night, and I've had the JB4 and big bore turbo inlet for about a week. It's very quick now,. feels like a different car:thumbup:

IMG_20181012_191351.jpg

How you liking the JB4?        What settings are you using?   You on the newest firmware?  (last week)

Try these MAP6 settings, this is what I was running prior to fitting the downpipe and the car loved it, great timing advance, great AFR

FOL - 60

Fuel - 99ron

Boost safety - 25

1500 - 0
2000 - 2
2500 - 2.6
3000 - 3
3500 - 4
4000 - 5
4500 - 6
5000 - 6.5
5500 - 6
6000 - 5.5
6500 - 5
7000 - 5

4 hours ago, Muzza80 said:

How you liking the JB4?        What settings are you using?   You on the newest firmware?  (last week)

Try these MAP6 settings, this is what I was running prior to fitting the downpipe and the car loved it, great timing advance, great AFR

FOL - 60

Fuel - 99ron

Boost safety - 25

1500 - 0
2000 - 2
2500 - 2.6
3000 - 3
3500 - 4
4000 - 5
4500 - 6
5000 - 6.5
5500 - 6
6000 - 5.5
6500 - 5
7000 - 5

Absolutely love it, its a fantastic bit of kit for the money. I've just been driving around in Map 2. Yes I've got the newest firmware update.

Thanks mate I will give those settings a try :thumbup: