Range

What's the best range people are getting out of their Superbs?

I started with a full tank of diesel this morning, I've done 101 miles and the trip computer tells me I have a range of 725 miles, so 826 miles on a tank full, which I don't think is too bad for a big car when I wasn't trying.

When I was commuting daily  and using a diesel in ‘ideal’ conditions I was usually getting ~ 730 miles before filling up.  

Now I’m mainly urban driving or on rural roads I’m lucky to get much over 600 miles before needing to refuel. 

I fill ill the tank as soon as the refuel light comes on so have a little bit more range though. 

best i got out of my 220 (162TSi) is 930 kms from a tank.......or 578 miles in ur language!!

i get between 800-900 kms avg per tank.

very happy with the consistent range i'm getting as i'm no Miss.Daisy when i drive!!

• Like 1

The best I've had so far is 725 miles after filling up on a drive back from the south coast.  When I'm back home and pottering around town, of course it's a lot less.

The range thing should always be taken with a bit of salt because it is dependant on a couple of factors that can vary considerably.

One is the reading on the fuel gauge and the other is the projection is based on the last 50km (or so) average consumption.

My gauge is definitely not linear so  projections can get a bit optimistic. 

On my last trip this weekend after a strong down wind leg I had covered 310km and it still thought I could do another 830km (total 1140km or 710miles), the gauge had only come off full after 200km . Unfortunately I had to load up the estate with furniture and punch back into a strong headwind for a final displayed average of 5.2L/100 with a final projection total of 'only' 910km.

Not bad for a petrol engine with only a 50 litre tank though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

The range thing should always be taken with a bit of salt because it is dependant on a couple of factors that can vary considerably.

One is the reading on the fuel gauge and the other is the projection is based on the last 50km (or so) average consumption.

My gauge is definitely not linear so  projections can get a bit optimistic. 

On my last trip this weekend after a strong down wind leg I had covered 310km and it still thought I could do another 830km (total 1140km or 710miles), the gauge had only come off full after 200km . Unfortunately I had to load up the estate with furniture and punch back into a strong headwind for a final displayed average of 5.2L/100 with a final projection total of 'only' 910km.

Not bad for a petrol engine with only a 50 litre tank though.

Indeed.  I do not make any correlation with anticipated range and miles since filling up.  At motorway cruising speeds, on a full tank I've had close to a potential 900 miles but as soon as the tank starts to drain and you encounter a mix of driving conditions, the range will come down very quickly. 

I've never actually measured it as my routine is to commute during the week then refill on Sunday to first click, rather than let it run down further. But a bit of basic arithmetic gives me miles driven in the week c580 at c53-54mpg, with c200 miles range remaining. So total 780-790 which tallies with what others are seeing with long-range driving. But add in a local trip or two around town at the weekend and those figures will plummet. I'd never rely on the range figures to plan my refuelling - one traffic jam too many would have me waiting for Skoda Assist with an empty tank.

I drove down from Dunkirk down here via Wallonia last week - a mixture of motorways, dual carriageways and A roads. By the time I got round to refuelling I'd done around 1000 and had a quater of a tank remaining.. The range indicated 1250 - I suspect it would have done a bit more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

I drove down from Dunkirk down here via Wallonia last week - a mixture of motorways, dual carriageways and A roads. By the time I got round to refuelling I'd done around 1000 and had a quater of a tank remaining.. The range indicated 1250 - I suspect it would have done a bit more.

Is the 150 brisk enough or would you have preferred the 190 in hindsight?

That tank range for the 150 looks impressive.

Edited by TonyTonic

I have seen the range on my 190DSG up to 840 miles - just after refuelling when on a steady drive but you will never actually get that, partially because you don;t run the tank till empty. Most I have got from a tank is about 630 miles, filled up when just in red.

The 150 is fine for me Tony. Seems plenty powerful enough. BTW I should have indicated that it was 1000 kms not miles - so that's about 620 miles with an outstanding range of another 160 miles give or take. Happy enough with that given that part of the journey was @ 130 kmph and at other times I was stuck in traffic.

Just thought that I would add the figures for my car.  This is the first time I have checked range and MPG since purchasing:-

Miles since refuel - 764

Range left - 50 miles

Reported MPG - 57.3

Refuel amount - 14.26 gallons

Actual MPG - 53.6

Bit disappointed that the actual and reported figures are so far adrift.  Also, I'm not sure how anyone could get near the official MPG Capture.JPG.5dba967d12b183979e23532ad2c65f4b.JPGfigures under normal driving conditions.  However, I am pleased with 53.6mpg. 

12 minutes ago, plasma99 said:

Also, I'm not sure how anyone could get near the official MPG figures under normal driving conditions. 

You can't, they are reached in stringent lab tests where various tunables can be applied to get the highest numbers possible.     Obviously there's a risk (read: "certainty") that manufactures like to bend the the truth slightly :biggrin:

I've always just assumed that getting within 20% of the figures would be good, anything else is a bonus. 

5 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

You can't, they are reached in stringent lab tests where various tunables can be applied to get the highest numbers possible.     Obviously there's a risk (read: "certainty") that manufactures like to bend the the truth slightly :biggrin:

That's one of the reasons forums like this are so helpful to prospective owners IMHO - honest answers from a wide range of real owners and drivers, as opposed to massaged numbers and barely believable "statistics" from manufacturers and dealers. Back on topic, got 55.7mpg on my 85 mile run up the M4 this morning (as opposed to the 34 I got on a local trip shopping yesterday). I swear the car hates Cribbs Causeway as much as I do!:D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Goodness teebs that's phenomenal. Were you pushing it instead of driving it?!:D

All down hill!

No, it's was York to London and back, then York to Leicester and back. Fair bit of town driving in there too.

Benefits of a 65 litre tank - looking at the Audi A5, that's a 40 litre tank..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, plasma99 said:

Just thought that I would add the figures for my car.  This is the first time I have checked range and MPG since purchasing:-

Miles since refuel - 764

Range left - 50 miles

Reported MPG - 57.3

Actual MPG - 53.6

Bit disappointed that the actual and reported figures are so far adrift.  Also, I'm not sure how anyone could get near the official MPG Capture.JPG.5dba967d12b183979e23532ad2c65f4b.JPGfigures under normal driving conditions.  However, I am pleased with 53.6mpg. 

I've noticed a few people have complained about the discrepancy between the trip computer and the actual consumption but mine's been bang on every time I've done the calculation after filling up.

Range-wise on the current tank I'm on about 530 miles with 200 or so outstanding - mostly country A roads winding up and down with the odd bit of urban traffic.

7 hours ago, plasma99 said:

Miles since refuel - 764

Range left - 50 miles

Reported MPG - 57.3

Actual MPG - 53.6

6.5% display/reality variation is not that bad, but you are probably better off averaging over, say, 3 fills rather than just the one if there is any inconsistency in refill procedure or pump cutoff sensitivity.

I don't think there is such a thing as 'normal driving conditions', there would be an awful lot of variation around, as there would in an individual's economical driving abilities.

I'm sure I remember a previous similar thread where a 150tdi superb owner managed close to 100 mpg on a trip and 80 mpg average on a tank, but in fairness he was putting a lot of skillful effort to achieve this. His 'normal driving conditions' must have been about ideal as well.

Found the old thread: 

Unfortunately the confirmation photos have expired, but the text is still inspirational! :) 

Edited by Gerrycan

Gerrycan, I have attemted to give a realistic figure.  You will notice my relatively low 32mph average speed for the tank.  The driving is mostly commuting on an A road followed by urban driving.  I'm sure I can get a fantastic figure driving down to the South of France in the summer but it will not mean anything.

I had a tough decision choosing between the 2.0TDi and the 1.4TSi.  I drove the petrol first and fell in love with it.  I thought it was so much more refined and and perfectly matched the DSG gearbox.  The only thing that got me was the awkward moment when I asked the salesman about mpg.  He stuttered a bit and said "forget about the book, you'll get 45mpg on a good run".  That didn't sound too good to me and I settled with the diesel despite the less favorable drive.  However, I would be interested to know was 1.4TSi drivers are getting.  If I could have been guarenteed 40mpg on a realistic run, I may have gone with it.  Less worry about the Government cracking down.

Hi Plasma, my MY16 Octavia TSI has just averaged 39.9 MPG (on the fuel computer) over the last 1500 miles - approx 50 - 60% of that is for a 9 mile commute to work. Usually get 400 miles per tank (50 litre), fill to fill. I could almost certainly do better - but I enjoy the occasional squirt on the turbo a little too much.:D

Edited by Warrior193
add emoticon

I get pretty much around 400 miles range on a tank in my 280 DSG. Best I ever got was about 445 miles on one tank with about 20 miles range left according to the MaxiDOT. 

I have recently discovered that Sainsbury’s Super is noticeably better for fuel consumption than Tesco M99 or Shell V-Power. I was surprised! 

• Like 1

I see at least 600 miles to a tank out of my 150 TDI manual. But, mine's always fully loaded up with gear (I'm a touring musician, and I car share with another musician on the tour we're currently on, so seats down and fully packed up when it's my week to drive). I've just done a 4 day tour around Scotland (Manchester - Dundee - Aberdeen - Edinburgh - Motherwell - Manchester), so around 800 miles. Was pretty hot, so air con running, on the way to Dundee with a full tank and full of gear, I saw 58mpg over 280 miles with an avg speed of 57mph. Predicted range was 810 miles to a tank, got a decent run doing to Aberdeen the next day too. Going to Edinburgh it dropped a bit, but last night coming back from Motherwell, the range suggested I'd just about do it and see that 800 mile+ range... but the weather was crap, and I was in a "I want to get home" mood. Wasn't doing silly speed, driving to conditions but not hanging around, but to play it safe I filled up when I got to Motherwell. 

If I'm careful, even loaded up I can see over 60mpg on a run, if it's empty, I've seen 66mpg on a run without trying. That was on winter tyres too! Either way, I'm happy with the economy I'm getting now, it's a vast improvement on my last car which was a 2012 diesel Toyota Avensis. Wasn't as powerful, and I was getting low 40s from that!