What is it and how do I remove it?

I picked up my brand new Octavia just over a month ago and it's been annoying me ever since but I've never actually done anything about it. There is a clear piece of plastic a few inches long and an inch wide popping out of the drivers side A pillar across the windscreen. Looks like it may have been some sort of holder for a card when the car was being booked in or something? I've had a few new cars and literally never seen this before though. Anyone any ideas? And how on earth can I get rid of it? :D

1 minute ago, JohnnyType2 said:

with the event of smart phones parking tickets are obsolete anyway. parkmobile for example 

Only if you want to pay 20p extra for the privilege of paying by phone - at least in Devon, Dorset and Hampshire.

Plus, not everyone has a smartphone...

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ntl123 said:

It’s part of skodas simply clever ideas, like the ice scraper in the fuel cap area

I think they have been fitting them longer than the "Simply Clever" catchphrase has been around. Volvos have had them for many years too.

• Like 1

It’s a cool idea and handy to hold my staff parking permit in place if nothing else. I keep meaning to move it to the passenger side, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. My ham fisted partner snapped the one on the Citigo, so I know it’s pretty easy to remove if you really don’t like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes remove the A pillar trip and then its a Torx screw that holds it in. 

Worth keeping though since it is pretty handy on the odd occasion you do need to stick a paper ticket on the dash somewhere.

It will probably get broken off the next time you have a windscreen replacement anyhow, since out of about 3 or 4 windscreen changes I've had on the Mk2 it got broken every time.

I also think they are hard to get hold of from the dealers now. Perhaps stick it on the bay of E for some dosh!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ntl123 said:

It’s part of skodas simply clever ideas, like the ice scraper in the fuel cap area

When it's Minus 20 it's not a simple clever idea when the Fuel Flap is frozen solid and you can't get to the scraper

"Simply Not Clever "  :shake:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sadly my ice scraper was covered in some weird cleaner which has reacted with the plastic. Looks like it has melted the black covering and even the green plastic "magnifying glass".

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - genuinely never seen this before in my life and had no idea! Would definitely be better on the passenger side I feel though...

But if it's supposed to be there then I will just leave it there :biggrin: honestly thought it was maybe something left on by mistake when the car had been delivered :D much appreciated everyone!

Edited by siobhanemerald

41 minutes ago, siobhanemerald said:

Would definitely be better on the passenger side I feel though...

Many car parks specify that the ticket must be displayed on the drivers side...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

with the event of smart phones parking tickets are obsolete anyway. parkmobile for example 

Then you place your mobile phone in there. Doh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Many car parks specify that the ticket must be displayed on the drivers side...

What if the driver sits in the passenger seat? :tongueout:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BriskodaJeff said:

He gets banned of course:biggrin:

Ed Zachary!

And if the driver wears the ticket on his side, as required, how the hell are the poor permit staff supposed to know what car's his/her's once they've walked off :notme:

G

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

When it's Minus 20 it's not a simple clever idea when the Fuel Flap is frozen solid and you can't get to the scraper

Yes thats true. Here in Norway we cant fill fuel between december and march. Thats why none of use either work or goes to school for three months every year.

• Like 1

I use it every morning, holds the newspaper at just the right position to read it whilst keeping eyes near the road.

Err...I mean I use it all the time for parking tickets/badges, A useful idea I think.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Thats the reason to keep a can of de-icer indoors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the A pillar trim on the passenger side off to run a DashCam cable and there ain't no hole to screw the parking ticket holder into.

14 hours ago, YMe said:

I've had the A pillar trim on the passenger side off to run a DashCam cable and there ain't no hole to screw the parking ticket holder into.

Anyone with a LHD car tell us if the ticket holder is on the left?  @norsko maybe?