Is Kia the new Skoda?

dunc69

9 minutes ago, Offski said:

^^^ Other than the 2.0 petrol plug in hybrid that is!

And the 2.0L petrol with 241bhp. Recently added with the hybrid. 

On 18/05/2018 at 23:36, tunedude said:

If it's anything like the Hyundai i30N, it'll be a bit rough round the edges.

Problem with KIA's and Hyundai's is the car is the car. You can't choose any extras. It's a bit 'like it or lump it'. 

Thats what I really like! It means you could just buy a car you want/need NOW instead of waiting many months for an Octavia. I was tempted by an Optima but at the time I ordered, didn't want a diesel as it was for my wife to drive around town. I think the petrol came out when we picked our vRS up!

On 19/05/2018 at 15:29, Offski said:

Like with a Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ, greatest thing since sliced bread only people do not buy or lease enough of them so really cheap as chips. 

I saw some second hand ones yesterday day £15k ish, was quite happy with that after 3 year (I'd only sell it private, not trade in, so I'd probably be looking at 13 for mine, but I'll never sell it). I've started to think there are too many people with them, 3 within a  mile of me and several more around, need something more exotic now! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Offski said:

£15,000 as an asking price, not an accepting an offer price?

How much did your GT86 cost 3 years ago?

I love them by the way, the automatics, only issue for me, once in is getting back out.

Yeah asking price was £15-16 on a 15 plate like mine, but strangely some people just seem to walk in and pay now without any haggling at all!

I paid £23,600 inc my options with a 'GFV' of £10k and collected on May 29th so 3rd birthday soon! First MOT the otherweek with £35k on it.

• Thanks 1

The big problem with Kia is their engine choices, or more specifically lack of engine and gearbox choices

If you do a fair bit of short journeys (with just occasional long journeys) so don't want a diesel, and you live in a city so want an auto, the range is woeful

The lack of options isn't really a problem, as some of the specs are well loaded anyway

37 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

The big problem with Kia is their engine choices, or more specifically lack of engine and gearbox choices

If you do a fair bit of short journeys (with just occasional long journeys) so don't want a diesel, and you live in a city so want an auto, the range is woeful

The lack of options isn't really a problem, as some of the specs are well loaded anyway

Only the one lowest spec petrol isn’t available with auto, the rest of the engine choices petrol or diesel have choice of gearbox. 

The previous comments about sat nav. They are now TomTom sat navs with free updates via WiFi. 

We seem to have some comparisons to much older models being made by some people. 

Edited by CWARD

I love Kia/Hyundai's way of selling trims, rather than long list of random features. It makes buying second hand so much easier. A lot less time shifting through false ads (eg. adaptive cruise control isn't really adaptive on so many German car adverts)

Engine/gearbox choices will no longer matter. For town driving it's better to go electric. Kia Soul EV is a fantastic town car. Similarly, the Hyundai Ioniq EV has great efficiency, its 30kWh battery gives 40kWh Nissan Leaf a run for its money in motorway range.

We may be replacing our 24kWh Nissan Leaf with a 2yr old Hyundai (probably 40kWh Kona) EV as town car in 3 years time.

By the end 2018 and early 2019 all the choices and options will be simplified with all the Manufacturers as Renault have done now with some models.

WLTP requires every vehicle model to be tested as it weighs kerb weight,  trim level, wheels / tyre sizes etc as they would be leaving the factory and as test results are published. 

*Still rubbish as a 2 seater is not tested at Revenue Weight, 2 seats full, 4/5 seater with 4/5 adult weight, or a 6/7 seater 7 up with big people with luggage.*

VW Group needs to move their butts,   well behind the competition with all these 'optional extras', and yet Hybrid vehicles with Order Books now closed, 

and 1.4 TSI engines with Implausible / irregular C02 g/km 

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/wltp 

As to the UK once out of the EU, maybe the Chancellor and Government will stop the Hybrid nonsense that gives users private or business users the cheap VED and yet they an run in towns and cities using fossil fuels.

Like those that got cheaper VED with Stop Start and then disable it in commuting / gridlock traffic.

Edited by Offski

Really? the likes of Porsche etc with all their carbon offerings on random bits of trim will have their work cut out for them! Maybe people will option CF more often to make the car lighter and slip into a different tax band!

I don't understand why everyone switches off stop/start? every little helps!

4 hours ago, Offski said:

*Still rubbish as a 2 seater is not tested at Revenue Weight, 2 seats full, 4/5 seater with 4/5 adult weight, or a 6/7 seater 7 up with big people with luggage.*

VW Group needs to move their butts,   well behind the competition with all these 'optional extras', and yet Hybrid vehicles with Order Books now closed, 

and 1.4 TSI engines with Implausible / irregular C02 g/km 

Most light vehicles I've seen on the road, both here in Aus and in UK only have on average 1.5 occupants. So why test at full revenue weight? Might as well  test them in simulated up-hill drag race as well.

What's the detail behind the "1.4 TSI engines with Implausible / irregular C02 g/km" you always refer too?

Edited by Gerrycan

The 1.4 TSI engine Hybrids with very low Co2 g/km figures, that would only apply if the Hybrid is being used and not if the petrol engine is providing the power.

Like with Plug in Hybrids that were not plugged in.

Or a BMW i3 with range extender that run out of electric and is running on petrol.

Re the testing.

Test all they like as just a car and no occupants but worry about the 19kg of a spare wheel fitted as standard.

But easy enough to give the test results with a 100 kg dummy weight in every seat other than the drivers.

Those buying a Skoda Superb Estate as a Taxi / Airport transport travelling in and out of cities are unlikely to be carrying 1.5 occupants through a days work are they?

Peugeot are giving their figures from tests.  All manufacturers figures after a car is Type Approved could be published, 

their results globally in all climates, weathers, loaded etc, they do the tests after all.

Edited by Offski

7 hours ago, Offski said:

^^^ Other than the 2.0 petrol plug in hybrid that is!

I wouldn't go for a hybrid. Not now, not until the battery can last at least 300+ miles on a single charge, besides it's more than the cost of a well specced vRS anyway.

A Kia also doesn't have the loon factor of a vRS, it doesn't have the grunt of a vRS or finish of any VWG car apart from the low end models. Why would you pay £42k for a Kia Stinger? Never in a million years. you'd be much better off buying a BMW or Merc for that sort of money as you'd get vastly superior residuals by comparison.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I wouldn't go for a hybrid. Not now, not until the battery can last at least 300+ miles on a single charge, besides it's more than the cost of a well specced vRS anyway.

A Kia also doesn't have the loon factor of a vRS, it doesn't have the grunt of a vRS or finish of any VWG car apart from the low end models. Why would you pay £42k for a Kia Stinger? Never in a million years. you'd be much better off buying a BMW or Merc for that sort of money as you'd get vastly superior residuals by comparison.

I don't think a hybrid will ever do 300 miles without using the engine!

You're right about the cost though, Given the VED rules in the UK. I don't think anyone would be keeon on spending over £40k on a Kia (or a Toyota Supra :sadsmile: ) . when they could get a premium car for that money. Having said that I also hate when people pay for badges over anything else.

What I meant (I didn't get thing's in quite the right context) is that I wouldn't want a car with battery power which wouldn't last 300+ on a charge.

However I also consider that to be an important part of a hybrid in that, should the engine malfunction, which may leave you with electric traction only, you're going to need all of the range possible, especially if you work with Sod's Law, it'll be a weekend or even worse a bank holiday weekend, when it goes wrong, you're going to need all the range you can out of the battery pack until such time as you can get the car to a dealer for rectification work, I mean if you have the ability to drive on electric power, you wouldn't want to pay for a tow truck to haul it in, would you?

• Like 1

That’s a lot of if's!

What if the ICE engine breaks down in your current car and it’s a weekend?

What if Labour gets in power and Corbyn nationalises the utilities and we have power strikes again. How do you charge you new electric car?

All equally ridiculous reasons 

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

What if Labour gets in power and Corbyn nationalises the utilities and we have power strikes again.

If that happens we're all f****ed regardless...   it's that outcome that scares me s***less about the prospect of another General Election!

• Haha 1

That is how it is supposed to be.

Very low Co2 g/km with a Golf Hybrid on paper / V5,

but then if you driving on petrol and not electricity and still getting 42 mpg the same as a Golf petrol with a much higher Co2 g/km figure on the V5 

it is kidology.

Easy enough, put the Tax on the Fuel, if you use the fuel you pay for emissions produced while using the fuel.

Not going to happen though.