What would owners replace their superb with?

1 minute ago, skidpan said:

In the UK its called Artico Leather and has never seen a cow. But the fact that it has "leather" in the title probably cons most buyers into thinking its the real thing.

Kia do the same but they call it "faux leather". The use of the word "faux" should alert buyers that its fake but I suspect the word was chosen because market research showed sod all people knew what "faux" actually meant.

Last car I had with plastic seats was a 1972 Vauxhall Viva. Never want another.

"Pleather" was my own translation of the danish slang word "plæder" which is plastic and leather combined ;) I knew it was fake in the Merc; it felt horrible after five minutes.

Glad this discussion has got back on track following the 'discussions' a few pages earlier.

Having now covered 21,000 miles and with only one very minor issue since picking the car up (slight coolant level drop - from air in system when first collected) , I will be going for another Superb. I have had no other faults/failures and have no rattles/noise so am very happy with the car.

When choosing the superb I discounted a Mondeo - worse mpg, limited rear headroom in hatchback model, Mazda 6 - terrible stereo although meant to be Bose & drove like an old Volvo & BMW 5 series, yes it was well built but very poorly equipped plus price of future maintenance was a concern. Also, having never driven a BMW before, I was expecting quite a bit, to me, it drove no better than the Superb. No doubt I will look around again but I don't think that there is anything yet to beat this. New Mazda 6 due soon will be interesting though.

Think those with issues will always hate a car as it spoils the experience.

8 hours ago, skidpan said:

Last car I had with plastic seats was a 1972 Vauxhall Viva. Never want another.

Hmm, a 1973 1256 Viva was my first car complete with those plastic seats. You needed an asbestos backside when getting into the car on a sunny day

• Like 1

I would happily have another Superb, my L&K 220 is excellent. Yes it has been to the dealers for a couple of minor niggles but I have owned a lot of Renaults so this was no problem in comparison...

I will struggle to choose a different car if/when I do fancy a change, because of all the standard kit you get for such a good price. I bought mine with 3000 miles on it, ex Skoda mgmt, pretty unique spec with the 220 engine, sunroof and moon white paint, and it was almost ten grand cheaper than list price!

I originally wanted an A6 Avant but their equivalent engine was weaker, (my 220 is the golf gti engine, it's an amazing compromise of performance and mpg) and with all the same kit as my car the quote was £58K... FIFTY EIGHT GRAND?! I know the build quality is second to none but I really could not justify that kind of money for better feeling buttons and a bit more leather etc...

So I was playing my little game of giving myself a budget and scanning Autotrader for my dream garage.  I often do by car types so I'll give myself £10K to find a 80's-90's hot hatch, £5k for a Summer roadster etc etc.  Well last night I was looking for German super saloons/estates from the early naughties; B5 RS4, C5 S6, E39 M5, etc etc.  Then I realised that my family hatch with a sticker price of 2/3's what these cars were 10-15 years ago is pretty much packing the same performance without the ridiculous economy and high running costs of a V8, it has much more kit and safety features and will arguably be more reliable and new brake pads and discs won't cost a small fortune.  Fair enough these cars have RS/M car badge kudos but I think that's been diluted in recent years with S lines and M packs etc.  

These are cars that I'd drool over, "If I won the lotto then I'd have one of these...".  Funny how that level of performance and quality is now available at a much lower price point and it's now more accessible without owning your own carpet warehouse or selling class A/B drugs for a living.   The same is true of most 2L turbo hot/mega hatches these days but I don't have one of those, 'just' a Superb. 

Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere before (I lost track in the middle!) but the only competitor to my Superb was the Volvo V90. Fantastic car but as I was looking for a petrol model there weren't any 2nd hand cars on the market at the time. Once the 18 month lease deals come on the market should be a few around. 

Not that I'm due to change in the next 12 months but for me the Volvo S90 is looking good. It's well built, spec is decent and looks beautiful (even better in the flesh) with lots of rear legroom and a decent boot.  On contract they are after the BMW 5 and Merc E market so pretty competitive right now.

Image result for volvo s90 white

• Like 1

Sadly I’ll need a vehicle with a true 3 seat rear middle so it’ll be a Landrover discovery 4 in a year or two, one of the last builds before they destroyed the look of it with the new one. 

33CBB659-FE7D-4533-A7E4-B088FF358537.jpeg

Just hit 25000 miles in my L&K 220Tsi and to be honest I would struggle not to go back to Skoda.  Thankfully mine is not leased, living inheritance, so have a few more years left yet (5yr warranty and 5yr gap insurance).  I do like the look of the Volvo's however.

A friend at my camera club has just brought a 17 plate Mercedes C220 which whilst he got a great deal he said but won't actually disclose the price, I found travelling in the car the other day to be "ok and unimpressive".  The inside had less leg room in the front, was visibly cheaper looking inside and the plastic was so obviously plastic.  The car was on 17 inch wheels and was not as comfy and smooth as mine on the road.  Really could not see why it was worth spending all the money for a Mercedes when the Superb outshines it, in my view.

Even he was amazed the first time he travelled in the mine how smooth and comfy it felt on the road, to be honest even more so now I have moved away from the Pirelli P7's to Good Year.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:23, penguin17 said:

So I was playing my little game of giving myself a budget and scanning Autotrader for my dream garage.  I often do by car types so I'll give myself £10K to find a 80's-90's hot hatch, £5k for a Summer roadster etc etc.  Well last night I was looking for German super saloons/estates from the early naughties; B5 RS4, C5 S6, E39 M5, etc etc.  Then I realised that my family hatch with a sticker price of 2/3's what these cars were 10-15 years ago is pretty much packing the same performance without the ridiculous economy and high running costs of a V8, it has much more kit and safety features and will arguably be more reliable and new brake pads and discs won't cost a small fortune.  Fair enough these cars have RS/M car badge kudos but I think that's been diluted in recent years with S lines and M packs etc.  

These are cars that I'd drool over, "If I won the lotto then I'd have one of these...".  Funny how that level of performance and quality is now available at a much lower price point and it's now more accessible without owning your own carpet warehouse or selling class A/B drugs for a living.   The same is true of most 2L turbo hot/mega hatches these days but I don't have one of those, 'just' a Superb. 

But you can get for example bmw 530d few years old with relative low mileage for similar money in which case every 280 superb seems like a hard choice, but everybody has its own choice of course.

6 hours ago, toni8b said:

But you can get for example bmw 530d few years old with relative low mileage for similar money in which case every 280 superb seems like a hard choice, but everybody has its own choice of course.

Yeah, but its a diseasal :blink:

@TonyTonic

Kia looks nice, but needs a more powerful version ;)

2 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Yeah, but its a diseasal :blink:

No problem. Didnt know you dont want a diesel. Then take 535 for example. As far as I can see, used ones cost the same as used 280 Superbs with same mileages.

7 hours ago, toni8b said:

No problem. Didnt know you dont want a diesel. Then take 535 for example. As far as I can see, used ones cost the same as used 280 Superbs with same mileages.

Whilst I like the 5 series and they are regarded as one of the best all-rounders on the market; the current reliability of the 5 series leaves a lot to be desired. 

They are are plagued with issues at the moment. So I’d avoid and just go straight for an Alpina :)

• 7 months later...

Thread resurrection !

Well here I am contemplating replacement, while being on a budget as also looking for a new small car for the wife.

The Superb has been as a good an ownership experience as one can expect, it has the perfect blend of space, power and sensible running costs.

The Kodicrap dented my faith in the brand a little, but the Superb put it back in place.

However 5 Skoda's down the line, I want a change - if I change !

Problem is, I am going to lose some rear passenger space and, due to budget, around 100 bhp !

I have (before test drives) shortlisted 2 current cars that would seem poles apart  normally - but with carwow pricing are very close on price.

Both compromise rear passenger room, but are within reason, and both are obviously way less powerful, but have enough to get by.

I am not a badge snob, I go on what I am impressed with rather than what impresses others.

So the two very different but similarly priced options are:

Mercedes C200 auto AMG line

Peugeot 508 fastback GT line

Both circa 180bhp petrol cars

Both have similar equipment levels to my Superb.

Reasoning is always liked the idea of a Merc, will never be able to have the proper AMG, so a nod to its styling with affordable running costs works for me.

As for the Pug, build quality is supposed to be a major improvement on newer models, and it just looks so fresh inside and out, as near as dammit identical performance to the Merc (on paper).

I was always wary of French cars, but the wife has had a 57 plate 207 for 2 years and its been reliable, mostly rattle free, and served her well.

I have just put in a carwow quote for a Volvo s90, but don't expect that to get discounted to my budget constraints.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Thread resurrection !

Well here I am contemplating replacement, while being on a budget as also looking for a new small car for the wife.

The Superb has been as a good an ownership experience as one can expect, it has the perfect blend of space, power and sensible running costs.

The Kodicrap dented my faith in the brand a little, but the Superb put it back in place.

However 5 Skoda's down the line, I want a change - if I change !

Problem is, I am going to lose some rear passenger space and, due to budget, around 100 bhp !

I have (before test drives) shortlisted 2 current cars that would seem poles apart  normally - but with carwow pricing are very close on price.

Both compromise rear passenger room, but are within reason, and both are obviously way less powerful, but have enough to get by.

I am not a badge snob, I go on what I am impressed with rather than what impresses others.

So the two very different but similarly priced options are:

Mercedes C200 auto AMG line

Peugeot 508 fastback GT line

Both circa 180bhp petrol cars

Both have similar equipment levels to my Superb.

Reasoning is always liked the idea of a Merc, will never be able to have the proper AMG, so a nod to its styling with affordable running costs works for me.

As for the Pug, build quality is supposed to be a major improvement on newer models, and it just looks so fresh inside and out, as near as dammit identical performance to the Merc (on paper).

I was always wary of French cars, but the wife has had a 57 plate 207 for 2 years and its been reliable, mostly rattle free, and served her well.

I have just put in a carwow quote for a Volvo s90, but don't expect that to get discounted to my budget constraints.

At the moment, if having to choose between the two , I Would go for the Pug as it seems to be the more exciting car.

HAve you looked at the Volvo V60? That's probably more the size of the other two rather than the S90. Not sure if they already do the S60. Good price and some good deals to be had too.

IMO the great thing about the Superb is knowing it can give me 98% of what a 5 series, A6 or even E class could personally give me, satisfaction wise, at a fraction of purchase cost and much much lower running costs which is a major major as mine is keeper for the next 20 years. Its also a lot less likely to be stolen.

And driving round dodgy areas of town all the black and dark grey Mercedes E/C class, BMW 5/M, Audi  A5/6 all seem to be parked outside barber shops and other dubious establishments, all very, very shiny, blinged up, rubber band tyres on oversize alloys, black windows, lowered suspension. I didn't know a barber earns so much!

Don't see any Superbs there though, thank goodness. And I don't get looked at as if I am a drug dealer, pimp or other criminal. (No dark glasses, tattoos, sun tan and designer wear helps)

16 minutes ago, xman said:

And driving round dodgy areas of town all the black and dark grey Mercedes E/C class, BMW 5/M, Audi  A5/6 all seem to be parked outside barber shops and other dubious establishments, all very, very shiny, blinged up, rubber band tyres on oversize alloys, black windows, lowered suspension. I didn't know a barber earns so much!

So, you live in Tunbridge Wells?

• Haha 1