Stop-Start not working

One thing which I've had on all my cars, due to sometimes working away for a while, is having a battery conditioner on the battery so it's always ready to go.

On the jump start instructions in the manual, it says put it to the positive terminal and then onto the body, so it goes through the voltage module thingymajig.

My conditioner is plugged onto the negative terminal, as it didn't work properly with it being set up how the car's manual wants it. Can't say I've had any trouble using it my way.

One thing to be aware of is whether your car has got the correct battery information on the ecu. When I checked mine, the information didn't correspond with what the battery information is. Always worth a check so the car isn't accidentally  damaging the battery unknowingly.

Beginning to behave a bit better, Stop start kicking in a bit more often, although not quite as enthusiastic as it used to be.

Battery voltage (engine off) immediately after a reasonably brisk 14 mile run 12.4 volts  - so better if not brilliant.

All the same it only took 50 seconds of headlights on to take this down to 12.2v (measured after the headlights had been switched off again) - not so good I'm thinking.

Is there any chance that via the wonders of modern battery management systems it could right it's self?

This slight improvement is however not that handy - Taking it in under warranty, get the horrible feeling they will be claiming it's within normal limits, having said that may well have claimed that anyway.

On ‎23‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 12:28, edbostan said:

Now that car road tax is not so dependent upon engine emissions I can see stop/start being phased out. Fuel saving must be minimal and the complication of the feature from what I can see adds an extra dimension of worry to drivers. The mechanical changes of extra hardened bearings to cope with the crankshaft resting on them while stopped and them waiting for the microfilm of oil to part the two surfaces during start up represents 79% of wear on start up according to the oil companies.

Stop/Start will only be phased out once the emissions tests have changed.

The only reason it was introduced was because the old emissions test contained a significant section of idling to simulate traffic lights.

Adding StopStart instantly drops your car down an emissions band without having to do anything.

Even then I guess its here to stay for the benefit of in-city polution in stationary traffic or traffic lights.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

Beginning to behave a bit better, Stop start kicking in a bit more often, although not quite as enthusiastic as it used to be.

Battery voltage (engine off) immediately after a reasonably brisk 14 mile run 12.4 volts  - so better if not brilliant.

All the same it only took 50 seconds of headlights on to take this down to 12.2v (measured after the headlights had been switched off again) - not so good I'm thinking.

Is there any chance that via the wonders of modern battery management systems it could right it's self?

This slight improvement is however not that handy - Taking it in under warranty, get the horrible feeling they will be claiming it's within normal limits, having said that may well have claimed that anyway.

Its worth visiting the dealer to explain your problem. At least its logged & you can have some paper which says they investigated it.

Then if it gets worse later you can still argue it should be done Under warrenty as its the same issue they couldnt find before.

Worst case they will do nothing but at least they can check the battery monitoring module (as @gregoir had on his) & advise you if the correct sized battery is fitted. 

Agreed, Gabbo a stopped engine is not polluting the environment but I am looking at the engineering side of things which could cost the user, and wonder if  manufacturers have really thought it through and not provided a hastily 'brought to market' product.  

Stop / Start was there when there were Euro 4 emissions, Euro 5 & Euro 6, so hardly hastily brought to market.

As it is the quicker the 4 UK Governments bring in legislation to stop diesel, petrol & LPG vehicles sitting idling the better.

You cans switch off Stop / Start if you want as the situation is not suiting it, ie crawling along in heavy traffic.

As it is the legislation that the EU has allows the manufacturers to have Stop / Start systems with crappy batteries fitted so that for lots of vehicles the Stop / Start in not functioning because vehicles are out on roads when pollution is at its highest, cold frosty morning and nights sitting about in nose to tail traffic and high emissions affecting drivers and others in the area not even using vehicles.

7 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Its worth visiting the dealer to explain your problem. At least its logged & you can have some paper which says they investigated it.

Then if it gets worse later you can still argue it should be done Under warrenty as its the same issue they couldnt find before.

That's the plan for next week despite the 220 mile round trip to nearest Skoda dealer.

22 minutes ago, Octy0GG said:

That's the plan for next week despite the 220 mile round trip to nearest Skoda dealer.

All the dealer will do is test it with a Midtronics device. If you have driven 110 miles to the dealer, the battery will more than likely return a ‘Good Battery’ result unless it’s sat for several hours then it might come back with ‘Charge & Retest’.

The voltage figures you quoted are representative of an OK battery being measured on a vehicle that is unlocked with ECUs awake. The current draw from those will dictate the voltage available. 

The best way to check battery voltage is approx 4 hours or more after recharging and whilst disconnected. Then again 24 hours later to check it’s not dropped much. 

7 hours ago, edbostan said:

Agreed, Gabbo a stopped engine is not polluting the environment but I am looking at the engineering side of things which could cost the user, and wonder if  manufacturers have really thought it through and not provided a hastily 'brought to market' product.  

I think you are over thinking things...

I'm pretty sure most peoples use of modern StopStart would still be well behind the number of daily stop/starts a delivery driver/taxi/fleet user would have done on a car years ago which wasnt even really designed for repeated stopping/starting.

I'd guess the minimum number of starts for the durability of a StopStart system over the lifetime of the car would be hundreds of times more than I would do in the 10 years I'll own it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Question, does anyone have their car stopping whilst actually moving?

I've got a 2014 CR VRS DSG, and it never stops until you are no longer moving. I've become a master of barely moving to stop the car stopping itself.

Jump forward, and I've now also got a 2015 CR VRS DSG, but it has a tendency to stop before I've physically stopped moving, which is very disconcerting. I know the 2015 is a different engine and Euro 6, whereas the 2014 is the older Euro 5, but surely they should be the same..

Latest DSG equipped cars are renowned for engine stopping before the car has come to a complete stop. Many comments about that on this site.

Probably squeezes another 1g on the emission tests.

• Thanks 1

About 6 weeks into my car with stop/start and totally used to it now, Iv noticed that the engine starts just by releasing the foot brake and just moving forward out of gear , the engine cuts out only when Im completely stopped.   

i've found that if i pull up really slowly with a very light braking the engine will still run even when stopped, once stopped if i then push the brake down firm the engine will cut out or if i know i'm going to go again i'll keep the engine running. to cut the engine out when i stop i using a firm brake and it always cuts out then.

and yes i have the stop start issue, i believe its a firmware issue on the early models but cant be bother to go the dealer yet.

Edited by Mark7

This is exactly how you should be able to manage StopStart on a automatic.

Light foot on the brake & the engine keeps running, firm foot on the brake & the engine stops.

I have a manual Skoda but in the Volvo Auto this works really well & I never had a problem at roundabouts.

• 2 months later...
On 24/07/2018 at 12:20, Gabbo said:

This is exactly how you should be able to manage StopStart on a automatic.

Light foot on the brake & the engine keeps running, firm foot on the brake & the engine stops.

I have a manual Skoda but in the Volvo Auto this works really well & I never had a problem at roundabouts.

Yes - but if stationary for a while don't you then dazzle the person behind you?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Yes - but if stationary for a while don't you then dazzle the person behind you?

This seems the norm these days with everyone driving a DSG anyway.

But if you are stationary for a while you can still use the handbrake to hold the car stationary without pressing the brake but with StopStart it means the engine will keep running.

On the volvo which has an electronic parking brake, you can release the brake once the engine has stopped by StopStart, it will restart only when you place your foot back on the Accelerator to move off.

This doesnt work so well with an manual handbrake like on the Octavia but I guess it will come with the next iteration or MY as its available on some VW variants already.

Some VW Group vehicles have the brake lights on with 'Autohold' keeping the vehicle stationary and others do not.

Many drivers seem not to know or care what they have, or if they do dazzle other road users stopped for longer periods of time.

The UK Highway Code means nothing to many Car Manufacturers.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/433302-auto-hold-brake-lights

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

On 23/07/2018 at 23:07, Greenie58 said:

About 6 weeks into my car with stop/start and totally used to it now, Iv noticed that the engine starts just by releasing the foot brake and just moving forward out of gear , the engine cuts out only when Im completely stopped.   

I've noticed after a year that turning the steering wheel a smidge starts the engine. Sorry if everyone else already knew that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have 2017 octavia 1.0 tsi start stop(not a big fan of it I always turn it of)  I decided to add sub and amp. Combo to the stock bolero head unit via line level converter. Everything is working fine my loc is turning on with ignition on (powered from fuse n 48 acc power)and providing remote turn on for amplifier when head unit is turned on. I run my power from connectors in engine bay fuse box and ground wire from main ground point in engine bay behind battery control module. My only problem is start stop showing error message, but not when I start the engine only when I turn it of with button is fine but when I try to reactivate it show error message,(Start stop ERROR) when amplifier is working. When I disconnect feed to the amp start stop works fine. (I checked the battery and is fully charged). Thanks for any replies and help. Hope that I posted in right place.:biggrin:

Mine was supposedly fixed and car returned to me on Saturday. Evident immediately that STOP/START was still not working. Service desk was closed. 

At least, this time, the documentation refers to a repair being made.