Map update

Understand @JR RS  I’m not sure why I had issues but that was my experience and the USB installed without a hitch first time. 

• Thanks 1

Just  updated Columbus to 2020 maps ,downloaded from skoda portal to PC running XP, initially file wouldn't unzip using 7zip kept saying corrupt file , so downloaded pea zip 7 free which did the job, then copied to usb stick plugged in car went to map version and update by sd /USB  once download started turned off igniotion went inside for 3hrs ,came back and worked 1st time 😁

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good thread. Ironically I updated my VW Scirocco SD card with the Discover software last week, then I traded it in yesterday... :D The maps in my new car appear to never have been updated.

So - using the direct download and I've had to order some new 32GB cards as I seem to have mislaid the only one I ever had. Bought 2 for £12! Amazed how cheap they are. A 128GB one is only £17!

Looks like it'll take <30 minutes to get the whole 26GB. Not bad for home broadband, however I am cheating slightly - I've got 2 x 70Mbps internet connections.

• 4 months later...

Just started downloading the CW25 2020 update from the Portal

Speedtest says I'm capable of 100MB/s download speeds (ISP Plan limit with Fibre & Ethernet hardwired to the desktop)

Download is going at around 600kB/s...  😱  [What's going on at your end, Skoda??]

1GB down so far, only 4 to go...

Ngaa mihi

Hamish

• Like 1

Hi. First time doing a Map update on my 2016 Superb. It has never been updated. I downloaded the file from the portal and it is zipped. Do I need to unzip it before putting it in the car. Just got an error saying Check source.

Not that tech savvy so any help would be great.

@Paul37 Yes, you have to unzip it on aN empty SD card, which must be formated in FAT32.

The files mut be unzipped at the root of the SD card.

it was also my first update ;)

Edited by Bap33

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

@Paul37 Yes, you have to unzip it on aN empty SD card, which must be formated in FAT32.

The files mut be unzipped at the root of the SD card.

it was also my first update ;)

Thanks for the advice. Are you sure the SD card is to be formatted in FAT32. All I have read it needs to be NTFS. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, please excuse my ignorance but for how long can you get map updates for, is it until warranty runs out or can you still obtain updates after this? Thanks

21 hours ago, Wheelnut said:

Hi, please excuse my ignorance but for how long can you get map updates for, is it until warranty runs out or can you still obtain updates after this? Thanks

Not sure how long you can update for. My car is a 2016 Superb and had no issues updating. But I haven't seen any difference to the maps since updating. I would have expected a huge change in 4years since it was last updated.

Cheers Paul, my Superb is a 2017 model.  I did try using the Skoda portal entering my VIN number probably late last year and got nowhere so assumed the free update period had expired.  I will have another look and see if I have better success. 

39 minutes ago, Wheelnut said:

Cheers Paul, my Superb is a 2017 model.  I did try using the Skoda portal entering my VIN number probably late last year and got nowhere so assumed the free update period had expired.  I will have another look and see if I have better success. 

No problem. It didn't except my vin number on numerous occasions. Took a good few hours to download it then another 45 minutes to install it in the car. To be quite honest I wouldn't bother again as there was no difference. 

Paul, I managed to log onto the portal with my VIN number ok this time & have just completed the epic download!

Got to extract it to an sd card and install. 

I just read that once the installation starts in the car you can switch off the ignition and leave it install on its own, do you know if this is correct as I thought you had to have ignition on or car running?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Wheelnut said:

Paul, I managed to log onto the portal with my VIN number ok this time & have just completed the epic download!

Got to extract it to an sd card and install. 

I just read that once the installation starts in the car you can switch off the ignition and leave it install on its own, do you know if this is correct as I thought you had to have ignition on or car running?

Thanks

Sorry for late reply and you probably have it done now. I left the ignition on but not the engine. I got the impression if the power was off it wouldn't download. 

5 hours ago, Paul37 said:

No problem. It didn't except my vin number on numerous occasions. Took a good few hours to download it then another 45 minutes to install it in the car. To be quite honest I wouldn't bother again as there was no difference. 

I'm sure in the UK most people won't notice any real diffrence as it takes us decades to approve and build roads,certainly locally and definitely nationally if a newt might be involved, but in Europe the maps change very often, France seem to build needed roads much more frequently than we do, given all the empty countryside but without 'landed gentry' (or nimby's) to complain.

35 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

I'm sure in the UK most people won't notice any real diffrence as it takes us decades to approve and build roads,certainly locally and definitely nationally if a newt might be involved, but in Europe the maps change very often, France seem to build needed roads much more frequently than we do, given all the empty countryside but without 'landed gentry' (or nimby's) to complain.

I suppose that's true but I am not in the UK either. 🤣🤣

Planning to get ours updated in the next couple of weeks - according to the data never been done since new in 2016  Local Škoda dealer we bought it off is doing it for free so that’s nice. 
Be interested to see what the differences are & aren’t as we’ve had quite a few changes to the main arterials both north & south of us in the last 4 years. Of course this is little ol’ NZ we’re talking about so we’re probably not a particularly high priority for the map makers...

12 minutes ago, Hamsta said:

Planning to get ours updated in the next couple of weeks - according to the data never been done since new in 2016  Local Škoda dealer we bought it off is doing it for free so that’s nice. 
Be interested to see what the differences are & aren’t as we’ve had quite a few changes to the main arterials both north & south of us in the last 4 years. Of course this is little ol’ NZ we’re talking about so we’re probably not a particularly high priority for the map makers...

Nice of the dealer to do it for you. Saves a bit of time for you. We definitely weren't high priority here in Ireland as I have seen no difference. I thought after 4 years it would have been massively updated. I would be interested if your update will be better.