What have you done to your Superb III today?

@defsix - understand, I much prefer the metal case version too.

I was tempted to try going down the path of upgrading to the new mk8 Golf key, but I can't see anyone that has done it before with this version of the Superb key.

Most of them r flip keys, which the Superb key is not.

1571360911477165757.thumb.jpg.2fcf9ca6059f4610f1e7b716278759bf.jpg

On 24/04/2024 at 20:49, petrolcan said:

Another MOT pass today but only after a fail! Supposedly one of the LED brake lights wasn't working. Mechanic asked which one and of course they were working fine! Seems it was a one man MOT and he was using the mirrors to look for reflections, in bright sunlight!!

Timing belt and water pump changed, rear discs and pads changed, whatever service it was due done.

I'll adopt the required position when the bill arrives!

Bill has arrived and included an auxiliary belt.

So, MOT, oil & filter service, aux belt, timing belt & water pump, rear discs and pads have set me back the grand total of £860.51.

I'm pretty happy with that as I was expecting north of a grand. 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2024 at 12:31, JR RS said:

@defsix - understand, I much prefer the metal case version too.

I was tempted to try going down the path of upgrading to the new mk8 Golf key, but I can't see anyone that has done it before with this version of the Superb key.

Most of them r flip keys, which the Superb key is not.

My MY18  one up from poverty spec Superb has a flip key

9 hours ago, Bap33 said:

'Hover board' mode (for the oldest who know Marty McFly! 😁) :

IMG-8509.jpg

This was while changing rear brake pads.

BTW, special thanks to @ApertureS 👋 for giving me the complete procedure, including how to stow the parking brake. 🙏

Lift off!!

This was Gandalf in MechWarrior mode a few months ago when I got the wheels changed.

PXL_20240227_2239114853.thumb.jpg.b71a673d68f6e03df6248a901753fad9.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

After some convincing from a fellow Skoda friend, with a good recommendation - I finally decided to pull the pin (after a few years of ummm'ing and arrr'ing) and put in LED globes in Gandalf's headlights.

I already had Phillips xTremeVision Gen2 D3S globes in there, been almost 4 yrs now.

These new ones r J.W.Speaker D3S LED bulbs.

5700K, 4500 Lumens.  Plug n Play.

Initial thoughts - they're definitely more brighter.

Fitment is good, just like the normal xenon bulb.

Headlight beam is good, both high and low.

Fans r a bit noisy, u can hear them with just accessories turned on, and the headlight back cover off.

Not in a bad annoying way.

With the engine on, u don't hear it.

Happy with it.  Fingers crossed that it lasts the distance now.

Screenshot_20240511-160349.thumb.png.824b8031ed569355ddfab464b7f53db4.png

Screenshot_20240511-160525.thumb.png.0ea5fdf5bbb5367605f4dc13517237e5.png

Comparison below - top is Phillips xTremeVision Gen2 D3S xenon bulb, bottom is J.W. Speaker D3S LED.

20240511_114546-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.97727a988d09d2a3e3db66493946a36e.jpg

Comparison below - top is Phillips xTremeVision Gen2 D3S xenon bulb, bottom is J.W. Speaker D3S LED.

20240511_114650-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.f8dd768c2dd44b78f8398d683f88543f.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 3

OMG! These LED bulbs can make appear a workmate and a full set of tools in my garage? Where can I buy them? I'll order them right now!

😃

Sorry 😁.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JR RS said:

After some convincing from a fellow Skoda friend, with a good recommendation - I finally decided to pull the pin (after a few years of ummm'ing and arrr'ing) and put in LED globes in Gandalf's headlights.

I already had Phillips xTremeVision Gen2 D3S globes in there, been almost 4 yrs now.

These new ones r J.W.Speaker D3S LED bulbs.

5700K, 4500 Lumens.  Plug n Play.

Initial thoughts - they're definitely more brighter.

Fitment is good, just like the normal xenon bulb.

Headlight beam is good, both high and low.

Fans r a bit noisy, u can hear them with just accessories turned on, and the headlight back cover off.

Not in a bad annoying way.

With the engine on, u don't hear it.

Happy with it.  Fingers crossed that it lasts the distance now.

Screenshot_20240511-160349.thumb.png.824b8031ed569355ddfab464b7f53db4.png

Screenshot_20240511-160525.thumb.png.0ea5fdf5bbb5367605f4dc13517237e5.png

20240511_114546-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.97727a988d09d2a3e3db66493946a36e.jpg

20240511_114650-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.f8dd768c2dd44b78f8398d683f88543f.jpg

Those LEDs appear to have a higher aiming point, being roughly a whole brick course higher, have you adjusted the beam or just swapped the lamps over? If the latter, then they are unlikely to pass a annual inspection test as they are sure to dazzle on coming drivers?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Those LEDs appear to have a higher aiming point, being roughly a whole brick course higher, have you adjusted the beam or just swapped the lamps over? If the latter, then they are unlikely to pass a annual inspection test as they are sure to dazzle on coming drivers?

even if correctly adjusted as of 2021 you would still fail a UK MOT simply for having them in a housing not designed for them.

Other countries regulations may differ

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

Edited by Winston_Woof
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Hasn't just swapped the bulbs over, they have also reorganised everything in the garage, so it's possible the car is not in exactly the same place?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I haven't adjusted them at that point as it was still up on jack stands.  I was just checking to make sure it was working before buttoning things back up.

I did the adjustment once the car was back on the ground.

I hate dazzlers myself.

• Like 1

Just now, JR RS said:

I haven't adjusted them at that point as it was still up on jack stands.  I was just checking to make sure it was working before buttoning things back up.

I did the adjustment once the car was back on the ground.

I hate dazzlers myself.

The worst "dazzlers" are Toyota Prado's!!! IFKYK

Just now, Stonekeeper said:

Hasn't just swapped the bulbs over, they have also reorganised everything in the garage, so it's possible the car is not in exactly the same place?

Correct, the car is more than likely jacked up at a different position.  The comparison was from a pic I took 2 yrs ago.

Hence the different garage setup between the before and after.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

even if correctly adjusted as of 2021 you would still fail a UK MOT simply for having them in a housing not designed for them.

Other countries regulations may differ

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

Whilst I agree with the statement above, is "Gandalf" not originally fitted with D3S HID Lamps ? If it has a Ballast / Driver then it is either LED or HID. 

I'm assuming this is an upgrade from HID to LED, without bypassing the driver. LED generaly runs at 150% to 200% brighter per watt compared to HID.

Edited by defsix
  • Like 1

On 07/05/2024 at 13:11, MartiniB said:

full set of chrome ~€6

Thanks! But too much bling ... I'll stick to the black ones 😁

I've cleaned and polished the car inside and out ready for our trip of just over three weeks across Europe to Lithuania.  We leave in 11 days time, but as rain is forecast for most days until we leave and I have a hospital appointment next week, I thought I'd better do it while the sun shines.

I washed the outside on Thursday and planned to polish it today (Saturday) but I had to wash it again today!  On Friday, the wall behind the car was painted and although I parked on the road away from the house, the painters produced a lot of dust cleaning the wall prior to painting it and the car ended up covered in dust.  I know it's not as detailed as many on here do it, but at 72 I'm happy with what I've achieved.

IMG_20240511_194351962A.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, defsix said:

Whilst I agree with the statement above, is "Gandalf" not originally fitted with D3S HID Lamps ? If it has a Ballast / Driver then it is either LED or HID. 

I'm assuming this is an upgrade from HID to LED, without bypassing the driver. LED generaly runs at 150% to 200% brighter per watt compared to HID.

Egg-jacktly, Gandalf has factory bi-xenon (HID).  All I've done is replaced the xenon bulb with an LED bulb.  Everything is exactly the same, wiring and all.

Whilst @Winston_Woof was quick to say this would b a fail, in the very same post, in his quote, it goes on to say it is legal if U already had HID headlights.

"If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test."

The reason I hadn't done this earlier was that I was concerned about putting a bulb with a fan on the back of it, sucking out the heat generated, all inside the headlight unit.  But with research and time, I became comfortable with the idea and committed.

2 hours ago, JR RS said:

….I was concerned about putting a bulb with a fan on the back of it, sucking out the heat generated, all inside the headlight unit.

JR RS, how does it do this once the back cover is reinstalled? 

6 hours ago, JR RS said:

Whilst @Winston_Woof was quick to say this would b a fail, in the very same post, in his quote, it goes on to say it is legal if U already had HID headlights.

Also I was specifically quoting UK MOT Regulations, other countries (such as Oz) may differ ;o)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, numskull said:

JR RS, how does it do this once the back cover is reinstalled? 

The LED will work fine, but ideally the heatsink should b ventilated.

Given the heatsink and fan is inside the headlight with the cover closed, the question is how long will the diode last.

Should b fine, but time will tell.

The important thing for me was that the beam pattern was spot on like the xenon bulb.  I didn't want an LED bulb that threw the light beam incorrectly, and scattering the light all over the place.

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

@JR RS does Gandalf have the bulb monitoring option installed? 

Wat is the "bulb monitoring option" u referring to?

If u mean the CANBUS monitoring that tells u if a bulb is faulty - yes it does.

In fact most Skoda models do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

Given the heatsink and fan is inside the headlight with the cover closed, the question is how long will the diode last.

Should b fine, but time will tell.

I would think it will drastically reduce the diode life, as all the fan is doing is circulating hot air inside the headlamp unit.