What have you done to your Superb III today?

Finally got rid of the annoying 'Dynamic Road Sign Display currently restricted' message that bongs about 60 seconds after starting off by setting the detection mode to Fusion.

cursed at it, very loudly. It's marking its territory with nice not-so-little pools of engine oil. The one in the hall where the car was for 4-5 hours is about the diameter of a pilot pen / bic. I'm supposed to be trading it in on Tuesday at a dealer 300km away... the orange light binged at me Friday last week. I filled 1l, then today for the hell of it, I checked oil level - 1/3 of the way up the dipstick (and the hall is close to level, with 0,1 degree). realised after coming home in another car that there's a pool on the gravel outside and then when I moved it tonight, there's another in the hall.

Now it's at the mechanics and I will be over there first thing in the morning to see if they can do anything for me...

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

.. and fixed, looks like someone cracked the oil filter housing by overtightening at the last service or something along those lines. Anyways, fixed for now, car will be swapped tomorrow.
Replacement is a business grey Kodiaq from 2018, 110kW 4x4, 5 seater, leather, DSG, nav, LEDs, heated front and rear seats. Should be an interesting swap.

Let us k ow how it goes with Kodiaq, as you said it should be an interesting swap.

I was really thinking about Superb but found it to be a loud car, it felt like a window was left slightly open on motorway and the car was 2024! 

Friend of mine moved from Superb to Kodiaq and said that Kodiaq is much quieter! 

49 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

.. and fixed, looks like someone cracked the oil filter housing by overtightening at the last service or something along those lines. Anyways, fixed for now, car will be swapped tomorrow.
Replacement is a business grey Kodiaq from 2018, 110kW 4x4, 5 seater, leather, DSG, nav, LEDs, heated front and rear seats. Should be an interesting swap.

Quite unbelievable that the oil filter housing has been overtorqued… Especially since the torque value is direclty written on the housing! 

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

Let us k ow how it goes with Kodiaq, as you said it should be an interesting swap.

I was really thinking about Superb but found it to be a loud car, it felt like a window was left slightly open on motorway and the car was 2024! 

Friend of mine moved from Superb to Kodiaq and said that Kodiaq is much quieter! 

Hmm, I've always found the Superb to be a quiet car, but it will make a massive difference between the top L&K and the base models which have far less sound deadening material in them.

I wouldn't call my SUperb loud although there is some wind noise noticeable (slightly more so  on the front passenger side)  but its not that bad :)

• Like 1

….. but the tyre make and type does make a huge difference to the amount of noise in the cabin. P7’s were unbelievably noisy; the Conti All Season are much quieter. 

• Like 1

I'm happy with the general volume level in the Superb. Could summarize, maybe.....bear in mind that nowadays, I do 400km at a time, 1 way, to the office. Same day return, mostly empty roads. Minimal town work, mostly 80/100/120km/h limits, 80/100 in winter. Summer tyres are Bridgestone Turanza 005s, Winter Hakkapellitta 8s. Both in 215/55R17. Car spec includes heated seats and wheel, Bi-Xenon, Amundsen, Webasto. I've done a tick over 73500kms in 2.5 years. Average according to Spritmonitor is around 6l/100. Average speeds tend to be high with summer limits, like 100km/h high.

Plus:
 - like the ride. Very comfy. But this car also has the rough road pack (+15mm)

- noise-wise, pleasantly quiet, even with winter spikes

- manual change not too shabby

- winter tyres still have 6mm left; summers still have >5mm left. Both sets were new at the time of buying.

- it powerslides beautifully in ESC Sport mode without allowing rotations... but you can still eat snow :D

- the range is lovely, with 1200km no issue and 800 in a day absolutely standard with a 1/3 tank left.

Dislikes:

- used the heated screen so little it's weird. Webasto very effective, so that got used instead.

- bit floaty over the bumpy stuff, would have fixed that with B6s all round

- sound system is pants, but I fixed that --> DSP + Amps + Sub. Took some boot space, excellent sound as a result.

- Bi-Xenon underwhelming, I fixed that too --> Lazer 18 Elite will also be added to the Kodiaq

- Range on the Webasto remote was small. Can't stand on the runway at my local airport and turn the Webasto on reliably.But this is a standard feature of these remotes, so...

What broke / was replaced?

1 wheel bearing.

1 lower control arm ball joint

1 set of front disks + pads

oil, 3 times

Haldex oil, once

Adblue system bits, once

Battery, once

Kessy start button, once

Overall: solid 8/10. Can't argue with the tyre wear; it's done a very good job of keeping costs down and eating the miles. Haldex is very nice now the fluid is changed - previously you could tell when power was going to the back, now it's just sliiiiiiide and no apparent movement of power.

• Like 3

Nice review! I have also noticed, as numbskull correctly mentioned, that tires make a dramatic difference in the noise level, especially in cars where other aspects are well "covered". Being used to 'louder' cars, I seldom noticed this ... now I am almost obsessed 🤭

Mine came with Bridgestones which, besides being huge 19s, seem also at the end of their life with almost 40k km and ~3yrs., and they are quite present at speed.

For now they will do, but for their replacement will look carefully at the noise level. I am actually inclined to 'downsize' as well.

• Like 1

Other observations:

• it's possible to freeze the towbar in place if the weather is right. Only answer is to thoroughly defrost the car.
  • Snow in the rims is a persistent problem in the cold with fluff snow; getting to them is a pain because of the discs. Prefer the open designs because of this but it's still a pain. Need to create something that can slowly melt snow at -25C.
  • Mudflaps really do help keep the crud off the car. Rear ones seemingly more so than the fronts, as I've not hit any point where you can't read the plate this year and previously this was common.
  • The rear discs rust easily
  • Front brakes are more distinctly affected by rain / water than I would like.
  • There are mosquitos (dead ones) in the rear lights in the tailgate. But that's watertight....
  • The centre armrest is lovely and I will miss it.

Personalization also doesn't really mean much on this gen of car without the electric seats. Intrigued if this works better with the Kodiaq - my offspring drives my car and needs different mirror / seat height settings and I want to prove these will set with "their" key; wife has one key, I have another, offspring has third.

Looking forward to active cruise, rear camera, that higher seating position is nice. And the DSG... this will be my first automatic car. Driven lots of automatic rentals, but this is the first one that's mine. Wondering how much this car will get "borrowed" by said offspring for weekends away at the local ski resort. Quite a lot, I suspect, especially if I get roof bars for it, we have the ski holders already.

The kodiaq has a massive design flaw still, at least on the 7 seater version.

The edge between 2nd row and 3rd row has a MASSIVE gap, so when you have a dog the gap is big enough for them to put their head in and snap their neck, stupid stupid design.

Initially I thought it was the 2nd row seat wasn’t all the way back but it was

16 minutes ago, Danoid said:

The edge between 2nd row and 3rd row has a MASSIVE gap, so when you have a dog the gap is big enough for them to put their head in and snap their neck, stupid stupid design.

Well, the dog will only do it the once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Do you not mean the edge between the seats in the 3rd row?

Its difficult to imagine what you refer to from the description, if its the above and the dog is kept behind the 3rd row then it is because row 3 has 2 seats in a space only slightly less than the three in row 2 and they are spaced for passenger comfort as indeed are the front seats.

Good to know about the two bar, I would have not imagine 😁

Yes I know during freezing weather is not good to have the folding mirrors option 'active', lest to risk a motor burnt, and coat the door seals with silicon spray to prevent them "gluing" to the metal, but the hitch ... ok.

I also agree on the mudflaps, maybe I am too old fashioned but I think they should be standard in all cars. Pity they are not so nice as once it was ... seeing a nice old Landie with those huge "flags" or some other classic vehicle or that era brings me always a smile.

I am actually procrastinating in the subject as I have them in a bag ready to mount (was courtesy of the dealer when I got the car, they were top notch actually).

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Do you not mean the edge between the seats in the 3rd row?

Its difficult to imagine what you refer to from the description, if its the above and the dog is kept behind the 3rd row then it is because row 3 has 2 seats in a space only slightly less than the three in row 2 and they are spaced for passenger comfort as indeed are the front seats.

This bit here

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.37e792474e9efca132bc518724de886f.jpeg

Done yesterday:

- Renewed piano black door trims with polish. They were so dull, they’re now shiny again. 😃

- Treated some stone chips on the bonnet and roof with touch-up pen. Quite satisfied with the result.

- Varnished the right chrome trim of my sportline diffusor (had hit a stone in reverse gear to avoid being hit by a jerk driver). Fortunately, the chrome (plastic actually) was not scratched, only the varnished peeled off. Still to be clipsed back onto the car. It dried overnight after 3 layers.

- Fixed a problem on my rear dashcam, which was disconnected from the video cable.

- Made a housing for the rear dashcam to make it look a bit more ‘OEM’. Just need to glue it with double sides scotch tape, which I don’t currently have. Will be done at the end of the week.

Things to do this afternoon:

- Finish the stone chips treatment with varnish coating

- Put back the right chrome trim on rear bumper diffusor

- Replace rear brake pads.

• Like 2

Had the Water pump on Gandalf replaced today, along with a new revision non-silikant coolant tank.

Right on queue (almost done 90k kms) Gandalf started losing coolant very slowly over the last few months. 

I would have to top it up with distilled water to the Max line, and over a period of 4 wks or so, it would drop halfway between Min and Max.
All fixed now.

Parts used:-

P673 - Hepu Thermostat and Water Pump Assembly - MQB 1.8/2.0 TSI (06L121111H)

06L121131 - Union for Water - VAG MQB 1.8/2.0 TSI 

5Q0121407M - Coolant Reservoir - VAG MQB

20240416_185741-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.565a82193f305b381f8cabe3ff376825.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

Had the Water pump on my Gandalf replaced today, along with a new revision non-silikant coolant tank.

Right on queue (almost done 90k kms) Gandalf started losing coolant very slowly over the last few months. 

I would have to top it up with distilled water to the Max line, and over a period of 4 wks or so, it would drop halfway between Min and Max.
All fixed now.

Parts used:-

P673 - Hepu Thermostat and Water Pump Assembly - MQB 1.8/2.0 TSI (06L121111H)

06L121131 - Union for Water - VAG MQB 1.8/2.0 TSI 

5Q0121407M - Coolant Reservoir - VAG MQB

20240416_185741-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.565a82193f305b381f8cabe3ff376825.jpg

Are you running g12evo now or still kept with g13?

9 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Things to do this afternoon:

- Finish the stone chips treatment with varnish coating

- Put back the right chrome trim on rear bumper diffusor

- Replace rear brake pads.

Stone chips: --> delayed because of brake pads replacement, which took longer than expected...

Right chrome trim on rear bumper diffusor: Back in place, quite satisfied with new varnishing result. :) 

Rear brake pad replacement: Done! Not that complicated, thanks to @ApertureS explanations to apply correct operating process with VCDS. 🙏

What was not expected was the black screen on my laptop just before applying VCDS procedure 😰. Fortunately, it was just before I started applying the procedure. I almost had cold sweat.

Additionally, I did not pay enough attention, but I left ignition on (engine off of course), with driver's door open, DRL on, and radio on... And as a logical consequence, I've got following error messages, few minutes before I finished: ⚠️Warning, Low battery voltage! ⚠️

More annoying, I've also got a 2nd warning message: "Emergency call not available: workshop service required".

I hope it's only due to the battery low voltage. I'll have a test drive tomorrow for the brake pads and see if battery charging will erase this error message. 🤞

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Danoid said:

Are you running g12evo now or still kept with g13?

They put in fresh G13 coolant.

In two years time, during the service, I'll ask them to put the G12evo in.

• Like 3

@brettikivi are you going for the Lazer 18 Elite with I-LBA, or just the 'standard' model.  Whatever option you go for, any chance you could obtain wiring instructions/photos from whoever fits it...please?

I am also interested in the result. I remember seeing some old topics on that ... but more info, the better!

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/497571-matrix-light-on-superb-3/

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/457554-let-there-be-light-160w-led-bar/page/2/

Is not what what I have done "to" my Superb today, but what I have done "for" it ... I took a deep breath, cough up what is due, and got a new HEX-V2 from Gendan, to take over my old HEX-CAN which became .... obsolete, it seems.

Will bundle it up with my old trusty Dell laptop that is also due for replacement, and try to sell the combo to another happy user.

I am taking it easy ... after all, this is my first "non project" car in many years 🙂

However, next in line: mudflaps

• Like 1