What have you done to your Superb III today?

On 18/02/2021 at 17:47, Luei said:

I had my windscreen replaced today. Through Skoda. And they did bad job. The sensor in the middle was not done properly. So it went back... 

Also got the original spare wheel with the tools. 

B2D4FE78-50BE-41B9-BCB1-A491C35708FE.jpeg

FA55F8E5-E44D-4D16-8A93-DA4914852743.jpeg

Dealers dont replace glass. They may have taken your car in, but they arranged for a windscreen company to come and replace it. And thats just the gel for the rain sensor. Looks a bit rough but actually still functional. Usually after a bit of time the gel pad settles a bit and "sucks" a bit tighter to the glass.  New gel pads can be got for some sensors but not always available. And sometimes even the new ones dont sit flush straight away. Wouldn't say it was a bad job just based on that, its a standard enough finish after removing the sensor from the old screen and fixing it to the new one. Should still be operational and will prob settle down in time. 

And if not, the sensor just needs to be dropped and a new pad put in place, but again even the new pad might need time to sit properly.  

1 hour ago, AJAMESR said:

Dealers dont replace glass. They may have taken your car in, but they arranged for a windscreen company to come and replace it. And thats just the gel for the rain sensor. Looks a bit rough but actually still functional. Usually after a bit of time the gel pad settles a bit and "sucks" a bit tighter to the glass.  New gel pads can be got for some sensors but not always available. And sometimes even the new ones dont sit flush straight away. Wouldn't say it was a bad job just based on that, its a standard enough finish after removing the sensor from the old screen and fixing it to the new one. Should still be operational and will prob settle down in time. 

And if not, the sensor just needs to be dropped and a new pad put in place, but again even the new pad might need time to sit properly.  

They collected the car and repaired it. It is fine now. True, they said they use some specialst to do the windscreens. 

47 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Will these really fit?

I'll post pics when I get it tyres and spigot rings sorted. Standard superb tyres on a 19 rim are 235/40/19. 

235/35/20 tyres on the 20 rim will have the same tyre width, and the overall diamater of the wheel will be almost identical (5mm taller, you get that amount of variance by tyre wear alone so it's a perfect fit) 

11 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

i was thinking the same. He's onto a winner if they do

My concerns were around the PCD (which would appear correct) but I can't recollect anyone else using BMW wheels. As for their size, I'm eager to see how well they suit.

6 minutes ago, john999boy said:

My concerns were around the PCD (which would appear correct) but I can't recollect anyone else using BMW wheels. As for their size, I'm eager to see how well they suit.

People on here have fitted McLaren wheels on a Vrs245 and Bentley wheels on a Superb so why not try BMW alloys?

17 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

People on here have fitted McLaren wheels on a Vrs245 and Bentley wheels on a Superb so why not try BMW alloys?

I didn't know about the McLaren wheel fitment either but as you know, Bentley are VAG so that's not a problem.

2 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

Don't forget that the fitment of Beemer wheels will automatically disable the indicator function :giggle:

And re-program your cruise control so you are 2mm away from the car in front..

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, john999boy said:

Many newer bmws have moved to 5x112, although many would have unsuitable rim widths and offsets for most vag applications. Mercedes also. A closer examination of my set shows the rims are staggered so 2 are 7.5j wide 13.6kg and 2 are 7j wide 10kg. I'll have to think long and hard about tyre setup to match the original overall diameter as close as I can. I think I'll run 215s both front and back, which is what's on them now from the seller (albeit too big a sidewall profile at 45). Makes me wonder why they had staggered rims if they just run same tyre size

Edited by AlVal

Replaced the bulbs in the boot for LED ones and Skoda caps for the valves. All quality products from AliExpress 😜

6 minutes ago, MICKSVRS said:

Replaced the bulbs in the boot for LED ones and Skoda caps for the valves. All quality products from AliExpress 😜

Edit. I also bought a Amundsen SD card for my Sportline. I should have checked  properly as I have a Bolero. 🙄

I bought it out of lockdown boredom as I have all that I need in CarPlay. 

21 minutes ago, MICKSVRS said:

If you have a metal caps I would advise to use vaseline or similar product so it would not seize. It is pain to get them off 😅

Edited by Luei
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luei said:

If you have a metal caps I would advise to use vaseline or similar product so it would not seize. It is pain to get them off 😅

Yep did that too 😂👍

After washing & waxing the car yesterday, today I removed the snow baffle from air filter intake. I'll see how it goes & if there is no appreciable difference it may get re-installed. I also fitted some door edge protection stripping to all four doors. My car is black so this black rubber edge stripping blends in quite well. The pics below are not mine but give you an idea. Careful cutting is needed not to expose the internal metal U clips which could go rusty. Other than that it was a doddle to put on. It should protect the doors from over enthusiastic passengers but sadly not from other car doors!  

image.png.2999134d1975d2b306a2900198b1c7a9.pngimage.png.ba4d060bcff3d4cce0f59cc64d8c8021.png

• Like 1

I hate those door edge protectors with passion. Apart from looking aweful if you leave them on for any length of time they trap dirt, so when you do eventually remove them the door edges can be quite marred, if corrosion sets in you won't see it either. They end up looking worse than a few easily touched in door edge knocks.

Just my 2c.🙂

Unless what the door hits is a projection and not a plane surface like a wall, another car door etc then the central rubbing strip will make contact rather than the door edge, if you look at the chamfer on the rear of it you will see that the angle has been carefully calculated.

The same applies for someone else opening their door against your bodywork, it will invariably be their softer rubbing strip that makes contact.

One notable and damaging exception is when I dismount to use a French péage , I have to park closer to the raised kerb on the right to have room to use the ticket machine, they have a sharp edge where they have been cut down so that doors of HGV's or big 4x4's can swing over them but not low enough for my vehicle and not high enough for the rubbing strip to hit them, they can leave a vicious scar on the lower section of the door.

As for those metal spined rubber finishing strips NOOOOO!!!!! - DONT DO IT!

Edited by J.R.

3 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

I hate those door edge protectors with passion. Apart from looking aweful if you leave them on for any length of time they trap dirt, so when you do eventually remove them the door edges can be quite marred, if corrosion sets in you won't see it either. They end up looking worse than a few easily touched in door edge knocks.

Just my 2c.🙂

My doors are worth more than your two 2cents. 

Fitted the i8 20s on their existing 215/45/20 Bridgestones to see how it feels. Haven't tested properly yet, and need centre caps. Need to drop it a bit so will order the eibachs

IMG_20210302_144654~2.jpg

Edited by AlVal
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlVal said:

Fitted the i8 20s on their existing 215/45/20 Bridgestones to see how it feels. Haven't tested properly yet, and need centre caps. Need to drop it a bit so will order the eibachs

Looks good and they really suit the car and you should get better MPG with less drag from the narrower wheels/tyres.

2 hours ago, AlVal said:

Different, but, nice different. Good job 👍

2 hours ago, AlVal said:

Pretty good looking. Will Skoda wheel centres fit?

5 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Pretty good looking. Will Skoda wheel centres fit?

Almost! Just a fraction too small, so need a few mm bigger. Have ordered 55mm plain black, so will see how well that fits.