Tyre choice

Lucchese

I have GoodYear Eagle F1 Ass 3 on the front of my Combi and the steering started to feel a little loose and chattering away, I did not put this down to the tyres at the time. Anyway early this week I had all wheels balanced and rotated the wheels, back to front and vice versa the fronts are now Falkens that came with the car and the steering feels so much tighter and more precise (albeit noisier due to sawtooth but thats another story). Anyway  due to the sawtooth noise I am going to change the Falkens and I was considering the GY Eagles but since the steering has sharpened up after removing them I was considering an alternative such as the new Continental premium contact 6.

Has anyone had the same experience with the Goodyears  Ass 3 ( I never had this feeling with the GY Ass 2's) and any thoughts on the Continental Premium contact 6?

Thank you

23 hours ago, jafo said:

Uniroyal RainSport 3

I had them on the previous C5 Tourer (165 BHP) ... comfortable and great in the rain ... BUT, too wobbly in the corners, I had to resort to something that had more stable sidewalls ... decided to go for the Good Year Asymmetric 3 for the summer on my Superb, and so far no issues, I can corner extremely well, both dry and wet handling are excellent, road noise great ... even though our winters are not that extreme as maybe yours are, I've selected Pirelli Winter Sotto Zero 3 for the winter solution ... those and the 4x4 on the car will allow you to go almost anywhere (unless the snow i so tall you'd need a Lada Niva or a Unimog Snow Plow - in which case, you'd better stay at home)

• Like 1

Well I changed the wheels back (GY back to the front and Falkens on the rear) and I do think the GY feel looser now I’m not sure if the sidewalls are firmer on other tyres but the GY definitely does not feel as sharpe it digs in more when cornering (although that’s not a bad thing!) The Other 2 tyres Falkens are definitely sawtoothed so these will be changed.   I am siding with the Conti Premium contact 6 based on reviews but I have not looked into your recommendations above.

Any views on Conti’s

9 hours ago, jafo said:

I'm sorry but I don't think CrossClimates are ~2x better than RainSports 3 - when almost 2x more expensive and still worse in wet... 

Last longer (much longer, actually), are an all season tyre with solid performance on snow, wet and dry grip excellent. Rainsports on snow would be pretty much useless.

Plenty of evidence out there to back this up too... 

• Like 1

I swapped my Continental Contact Sports for Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's and the difference was huge. I really rate the Goodyear in all conditions thus far. 

The Cross Climates are excellent all season tyres but they cannot match a summer tyre in the summer nor a winter tyre in the winter. If your mileage is quite low then the all seasons are a good bet. I have a summer set and a winter set and I am happy with that. The all seasons are a compromise. 

3 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

The all seasons are a compromise.

If they were a perfect one-fit-for-all tyre, they'd be the only tyre model to be sold everywhere ... yet, they're not ... for the average, daily use, sure, they'll be good, but if you want to push your car sometimes (dry, wet and/or snow), pure physics of the tyre material will prove you otherwise ... take F1 or track cars for example - why would they still be making slicks, intermediate and wet tyres, if they could potentially make a universal tyre for all purposes .. because they can't do that successfully ... the Cross Climates from Michelin are the best all-season tyre that was ever manufactured till date, but it still can't compare with the top of the line dedicated summer tyres in the summer, and the winter tyres in the winter

• Like 2

For 95 out of 100 people's driving style, they are not going to be pushing a premium summer tyre anywhere near it's limits of grip both in handling and under braking in wet or dry.

For this reason, and the fact that a Crossclimate is a 'summer biased' all season, it's a bit of a no brainer. Tests show that they are marginally behind a summer tyre yes, but its very close.

For folks who don't have the storage space for a spare set of tyres, like me, or perhaps don't do that much driving in winter (or have the option of walking/using public transport to work) they are great.

Vastly better than using a summer tyre in the snow.

The view that the all-season tyre is bad because it's a compromise is a little archaic these days (like changing your oil every 3k!!). Technology has moved on.

Edited by Shaunieboy
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

The view that the all-season tyre is bad because it's a compromise is a little archaic these days

As for me, I never said that or thought that. It also depends on the market, for example, my tyre dimensions 225/45 R18, I can get the Cross Climate + for 175 GBP per tyre ... the Asymmetric 3 are 118 GBP per tyre ... same distributor, regular prices for both tyres (not discounted or limited stock availability). I don't know the prices in the UK and what is cost-effective from your perspective as buyers in your market.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

Instant grip level improvement and much quieter. 

That was also my opinion when I changed from my original  Continental summer tyres to the Cross climates !! The grip on most UK carp weather is great where some previous tyres (previous Superb) have struggled especially Michelin Energy and Bridgestone. I've driven the Cross climates in 40deg heat as well including a near emergency stop and endless hours on hot high speed autoroutes/autobahns.

I still swap to Conti ts850's in the winter - more to get my "t'Yorkshire" money's worth(till they wear out)

Saying that I'm running some Rainsports on my old Octavia , great but I've found them a tad noisy.

just removed my 6k old set of hankook ventus v12 evo2s and fitted cross climates, have had the hankooks on other cars and been very impressed but they just did not suit the superb they seemed to be floaty and lacked grip when pulling away then again I have a remap but the grip just wasnt there, previously it had contis on and i hated those they tramlined like crazy and made the car very unsettled.

The cross climates so far feel great and as a decent all round tyre that will offer decent grip in colder weather and snow plus all year use then am happy so far, besides which costco have 80.00 off a full set so 346.00 all in not to be sneezed at

I have always been completely happy with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. Cheap, Grip well, brake well, very quiet, no stepping and usually last me about 40-50k miles ( I am a gentle driver) I am on about my 5th set across the three cars that we run. Have tried others, but usually end up coming back to the Goodyear's.

Another one for Michelin cross Climate +

Would of sworn by my Uniroyal Rainsport 3s and Conti winter tyres but the deal I got on 4 was to good to resist

Saves me having to change tyres in winter and the contis will go to the Wifes C class

So far really impressed with the Cross climate + for road holding wet braking and noise just hope the reports of higher mileage stand up as the Unis were soft as **** but were really good in the wet

Edited by DEL80Y
spelin
  • Like 1

Initially had 18" wheels but moved to 16" in the first winter of ownership and been on them since then - a big improvement in mpg and more comfortable ride on the roads round here.

Until May this year ran Continental Wintercontact ts 850 tyres all year round (climate in rural Aberdeenshire not that warm and roads invariably wet) and that worked perfectly for my circumstances. 

Found the ts850 to be great tyres, quiet and good handling in all weather - last set lasted 21k miles.

Now on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 tyres as got them through a special deal that made them nearly 50% cheaper than replacement ts860's.

So far, seem okay - no real difference seen in handling/noise in summer conditions, the real test will come when the first snow and ice appears around here.