Death of diesel

xman

40 minutes ago, Offski said:

'No MOT diesel test run in Northern Ireland for 12 years'.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45643031

They tend to do things a bit different up in Norn Iren...

Like the wood pellet heating grant scandal a couple of yrs ago...

On 27/09/2018 at 19:49, studmuffin said:

Well i hope diesel doesn't die soon when im getting these mpgs....B)

IMG_20180924_115128.jpg

Can get that from a petrol with a good (ie 7 speed and better) advanced autobox with coast function.  

21 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Can get that from a petrol with a good (ie 7 speed and better) advanced autobox with coast function

but the big question is would studmuffin get that mileage from 'a good (ie 7 speed and better) advanced autobox with coast function?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

but the big question is would studmuffin get that mileage from 'a good (ie 7 speed and better) advanced autobox with coast function?'

Well the performance of the mark 2 VRS diesel (nominal 170 hp) was a rather sad at 0-60 in 8 seconds so rather similar to the 1.4 TSI 150 hp petrol in performance.

If course when in DSG form the VRS used that quite poor 6 speed DSG, no coast feature on that age of box.

A comparison shows just how far the petrols have improved to  the point of making most diesels, especially in the UK where diesel fuel is more expensive, pretty pointless (with an exception or two occasions), and with the far worse emission output (NOX/PMs) it is hardly surprising we are on the verge of having most diesel cars effectivly banned by punitive financial penalties from the largest cities in the UK and Europe.

Where diesel do do well is of course towing and they do make sense on mainland Europe where diesel fuel is much cheaper than petrol. 

Hoping to get a nice hoofy diesel car in a drive I have to do from Nijmegen to Frankfurt and hopefully a bit of road where one can drive legal at 80 mph plus unlike the poxy UK roads.

I made my comment as you can't compare different drivers to each other. You might naturally be economical and Studmuffin might like to press on. 

I still get better economy in any like for like petrol/car combo that I drive. 

8 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I made my comment as you can't compare different drivers to each other. You might naturally be economical and Studmuffin might like to press on. 

I still get better economy in any like for like petrol/car combo that I drive. 

You can do both.  Police driver training teaches greater anticipation, as does experience if one is able to learn such techniques,  and one can crack and on and get great mpg. 

• Like 2

On 02/10/2018 at 01:53, lol-lol said:

Can get that from a petrol with a good (ie 7 speed and better) advanced autobox with coast function.  

Could you post a photo of your average mpg as your figures appear to be higher than the figures quoted by Skoda for the 1.4 tsi. 

• Haha 2

Figures quoted by Skoda had nothing to do with a car driving on the road & not just on a test rig with a trained by the Police Driver anticipating the road ahead and having their fuel paid for by their employers in no particular hurry to get to the next location.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

Hypermiling is easy when Average Speed Cameras cover hundreds of miles of routes.

post-86161-0-76977200-1455208089.jpg.9bc1ec752c512e3d0be36fd745fa93f1.jpg

post-86161-0-97124100-1455207773.jpg.6ad2666a3ee321f2381e6a5e4e4017bb.jpg

post-86161-0-81529800-1455207874.jpg.1e5aa2e78b000dd4f8eb7ec35fc94a93.jpg

Edited by Offski

Does anyone pay any serious attention to fuel economy figures published by the manufacturers? A rough guide maybe, but you'd never buy an octavia for example if you really wanted to find cheap motoring. You'd probably catch a bus or take the train. 

16 minutes ago, Offski said:

Figures quoted by Skoda had nothing to do with a car driving on the road & not just on a test rig with a trained by the Police Driver anticipating the road ahead and having their fuel paid for by their employers in no particular hurry to get to the next location.

Hypermiling is easy when Average Speed Cameras cover hundreds of miles of routes.

post-86161-0-97124100-1455207773.jpg.6ad2666a3ee321f2381e6a5e4e4017bb.jpg

post-86161-0-81529800-1455207874.jpg.1e5aa2e78b000dd4f8eb7ec35fc94a93.jpg

16 minutes ago, Offski said:

Hmmmm!  Using a camera to take photos of your dash while driving at (over) the speed limit.  Naughty boy!

• Sad 1

Using a camera on automatic, be that for video or timer / time laps and remote operation on a holder, & not hand held is perfectly legal.

Thank goodness for new technology, set on bluetooth, wi-fi,  that can be used on bikes, cars, motorbikes, ropes, doing surveying etc.

(There are always road captains out there, you want to see just what they might be doing.)

DSCN4425.JPG

DSCN4430.JPG

Edited by Offski

95% of all of those cars are tiny toy cars I would not be seen dead in (my sister was killed in the back of an Aygo along with 2 others when hit by a speeding Focus so tinpot tiny cars are out)

Lupo? Starlet? Ax? Saxo?? Was this list compiled in 1991? I'd be surprised if many of those cars that made up that list ever went above 50mph, those that aren't sitting in the scrap yard.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Using a camera on automatic, be that for video or timer / time laps and remote operation on a holder, & not hand held is perfectly legal.

Thank goodness for new technology, set on bluetooth, wi-fi,  that can be used on bikes, cars, motorbikes, ropes, doing surveying etc.

(There are always road captains out there, you want to see just what they might be doing.)

DSCN4425.JPG

DSCN4430.JPG

Hmmm! You still have to move the camera to view the speedo rather than the view through the windscreen.  That comes very close to hand held".

Wise up maybe, open your mind, embrace the technology.

No you mount it on a holder, and you can have 2 phone and camera. Go-pro etc.   rear view,

and you use voice command, and that is an example of one bigger & useful to wear on the body in a chest mount, i have a velcro mount for it,

smaller ones are available.

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

Wise up maybe, open your mind, embrace the technology.

No you mount it on a holder, and you can have 2 phone and camera. Go-pro etc.   rear view,

and you use voice command, and that is an example of one bigger & useful to wear on the body in a chest mount, i have a velcro mount for it,

smaller ones are available.

You mus look like the Terminator whenever you're behind the wheel!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1