ECE 2019/2020 maps are now available on the Skoda Update Portal

7 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

I'll have a look next time I have a chance, probably won't touch the car until the weekend :) my wife who uses it most during the week isn't interested in this stuff in the slightest she just wants the car and nav to work lol she probably hasn't even realised it's had its own internet hotspot for a couple of weeks sat in the boot :) Google poi lookups make the built in nav work now.

I'll report back asap on the maps I have.

Morning Scotty,

Have you put a USB WiFi hotspot stick in the 12v port in the boot?

Was thinking of doing that as I know it’s a first world problem, but it does get a bit boring remembering to switch on the iphone’s hotspot every time I get in the car...

if if that is what you’re doing, what stick have you bought, and I guess it’s just on a basic PAYG data plan?

Cheers,

Nick

2 minutes ago, Cubbington said:

Morning Scotty,

Have you put a USB WiFi hotspot stick in the 12v port in the boot?

Was thinking of doing that as I know it’s a first world problem, but it does get a bit boring remembering to switch on the iphone’s hotspot every time I get in the car...

if if that is what you’re doing, what stick have you bought, and I guess it’s just on a basic PAYG data plan?

Cheers,

Nick

Yes it's in the boot attached to the 12v socket there. It's perm live. I have a giffgaff sim in it. A secret it's a bit more than a hotspot but that's all its being used for.. Brought my old Samsung Galaxy S4 out of retirement :)

7 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Yes it's in the boot attached to the 12v socket there. It's perm live. I have a giffgaff sim in it. A secret it's a bit more than a hotspot but that's all its being used for.. Brought my old Samsung Galaxy S4 out of retirement :)

Aha, nice solution, thanks!

Might be cheaper to buy an secondhand phone rather than a portable router!

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cubbington said:

Aha, nice solution, thanks!

Might be cheaper to buy an secondhand phone rather than a portable router!

Cheers,

Nick

I'd agree!

I was contemplating what to do originally read a load of threads on here about the Skoda carstick and other alternatives - skoda options releving you of up to double the cash of getting it elsewhere of course. I'd already chosen the Mifi hotspot from Huawei on amazon to order for about £44 for a 4G one. Then I remembered my old S4 sitting idle in a cupboard which was my first 4g phone. It fired up luckily (had to be around a year since it had last had any charge in the battery) so I got myself the sim and configured the hotspot making sure to set the timeout to never i.e. keep the hotspot perm active. Only issue I had the infotrainment copped out on the original wifi settings I used after about 1.5 weeks refusing to show a connection to the internet (red globe issue - which looks like the EE challenge even though I'm on giffgaff/O2 ).. when I changed the SSID and password its been working ok since.

Edited by Scotty72
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

I'd agree!

I was contemplating what to do originally read a load of threads on here about the Skoda carstick and other alternatives - skoda options releving you of up to double the cash of getting it elsewhere of course. I'd already chosen the Mifi hotspot from Huawei on amazon to order for about £44 for a 4G one. Then I remembered my old S4 sitting idle in a cupboard which was my first 4g phone. It fired up luckily (had to be around a year since it had last had any charge in the battery) so I got myself the sim and configured the hotspot making sure to set the timeout to never i.e. keep the hotspot perm active. Only issue I had the infotrainment copped out on the original wifi settings I used after about 1.5 weeks refusing to show a connection to the internet (red globe issue - which looks like the EE challenge even though I'm on giffgaff/O2 ).. when I changed the SSID and password its been working ok since.

Makes for a cheap GPS tracker presumably as well should the worst happen, if you've linked your Google account etc?

1 minute ago, dogdiego said:

Makes for a cheap GPS tracker presumably as well should the worst happen, if you've linked your Google account etc?

Correct ;) That my next thing I've been playing with implementing too. Just looking at which app to go for by trial/error.

5 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Correct ;) That my next thing I've been playing with implementing too. Just looking at which app to go for by trial/error.

It's built into Android/Google maps so shouldn't need to download anything. 

https://myaccount.google.com/find-your-phone

So as long as you login to your google account with your phone, you should be able to track it at all times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogdiego said:

It's built into Android/Google maps so shouldn't need to download anything. 

https://myaccount.google.com/find-your-phone

So as long as you login to your google account with your phone, you should be able to track it at all times. 

That makes sense and is useful.. I'm looking at additional stuff via apps if possible

Hey Scotty,

That really is a great solution :thumbup:

Thanks for the info, and I think I may try the Huawei option, but using a phone as a GPS tracker is pretty cool too...

Typical difference between Apple & Android...Android allows you to permantly enable hotspot, Apple just doesn’t, as Apple knows better and will make these choices for you :notme: 

I think I have a little project to do now over the Christmas break!

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 2

On 16/12/2018 at 19:41, SashaGrace said:

Somewhere in the nav settings on the car there is a way to find out the map version. Can’t quite remember off the top of my head 

2D511248-0C19-4D93-B663-D43BE35E2F4E.thumb.jpeg.8f0553760b16be614434984acab728e9.jpeg

Ok my first chance to check today. This is what mine came from new with just over a month ago.

20181222_180119.jpg

Just updated my maps for the first time thanks to the advice on here - thanks everyone.

One thing that caught me out for a while.  The Skoda SD card has a sliding switch on the side that needs to be moved to allow the card to be written to, so that you can delete the old files and upload the new ones.  Then slide it back where it was before re-inserting the SD card into your car.

42 minutes ago, sniffermark said:

Just updated my maps for the first time thanks to the advice on here - thanks everyone.

One thing that caught me out for a while.  The Skoda SD card has a sliding switch on the side that needs to be moved to allow the card to be written to, so that you can delete the old files and upload the new ones.  Then slide it back where it was before re-inserting the SD card into your car.

Standard write protect switch fitted to fill size sd cards since they were introduced. Not present on the micro jobs. I must admit all my cards are micro now due to phone use and I use the full size adaptor for computer or car use. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2018 at 18:45, Olearysp said:

Hi has anyone got issues with the speed sign indicators since updating? Updated mine yesterday using map 1 and noticed today that on a lot of national speed limit roads , I get a 50 and a 60 sign on the display on single carriage roads and a 60 and a 70 sign on dual carriage ways ! Most confusing.

Just updated my Karoq and getting this speed limit error also. Anybody found a fix?

3 hours ago, Lincolnlad said:

Just updated my Karoq and getting this speed limit error also. Anybody found a fix?

Mine does it as well. I don't think it's an error though - I've a feeling that it might be intentional. I read somewhere that there are now new lower speed limits in place for combis and vans etc on national roads and dual carriageways. Since the nav unit does not know what type of vehicle you are driving I think that the displaying of the two speed limits on the respective roads might be a system workaround. This is only a guess by me though.

Differential speed limits are not new in the UK, as this table shows: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

I think showing them on a satnav is a good idea in principle, though for those of us with (for example) a standard car that isn't towing, there should be a settings option for something like "hide / show lower differential speed limits".  That would need a software update, though.

I've not noticed this just yet but will test when I can get out of the city to test.

I managed to update the maps to the 2019 version but noticed my SD card is now very full with little space left if these updates get any bigger!!

Out of interest does anyone know how to suppress the message that pops up saying "No street data available for this location" when I put in a post code to navigate to?  

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Plantman

On 02/01/2019 at 14:44, bigade1 said:

Mine does it as well. I don't think it's an error though - I've a feeling that it might be intentional.

I assumed the second limit is the towing speed limit, seems logical to me.

I'm getting random "SD Card Error" while driving out starting since upsetting, very intermittent. Is anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Just updated my Map, 2014 version to the 2019 version on the portal.

No issues identified as yet and only took just over an hour or so.

Thanks to all for links and advise.

• 1 month later...

Very stupid segmentation of the areas, several smaller ones instead of big one like ECE 1 2018/2019. Terrible stupid.

It is impossible to combine areas, making it useless for me to travel to EU. It is also useless for all western Europeans travelling to Greece for example. 

Solution for my upcoming travel to France is to revert back to 2018/19. 

I don't understand the logic behind driving around only narrow area. Maybe someone can enlighten me? We have 16Gb or 32Gb Skoda SD cards, so it is not a space saving.

• Like 1

Is there an option to put one map on one SD card and another map on another SD card as there are two slots in the car? Combining ECE 4 + ECE 2 or ECE 6 + ECE 7 would cover the needs of us living "on the border".

Hi everybody,

Is there definitely no solution to combine (merge) multiple 2019/2020 maps on the SD card ?
In my case, how can I travel between Belgium, Italy and Spain in these conditions ?
Should I change my car ... or just keep my old 2018/2019 maps update ?