Check your Haldex pump people...

Rustynuts

Well after doing my oil change and pump clean out I’m suspecting I need the thing resetting with vcds- I’m getting the traction control light flashing away, yes when giving it some in damp corners.

For anyone who’s got vcds, where did you get it from?  I don’t want to get secondhand fleabay kit as I want to make sure it’s right.

25 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

What car is yours?

As regards VCDS,  for a start.

https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

It’s a 2015 2.0 tdi 170 4x4, but it’s build date is sept 2014.

I’ve also got a 2011 fabia vrs, so I’m thinking it’ll be handy to have vcds!  I’m just finding it rather confusing as there’s lots of great info out there, as well as lots of rubbish.

On 29/03/2019 at 18:58, Rustynuts said:

If your version of VCDS doesn't have the required drop down options then maybe update your VCDS?

Ah, of course.  Yours is a gen 5 haldex, right?  Mines a gen 4, so the list of options will be different....   doh!

Andy

10 hours ago, mac26 said:

I’m getting the traction control light flashing away, yes when giving it some in damp corners.

I find this quite normal. My 2011 4x4 did it from new. Mind you, I drive it like an animal.

Yeah, I was noticing the TC light more and more when giving it some in the wet/damp.  Let’s hope the rest cures it!

I’ll find out the next time it’s damp- couldn’t make it do it in the dry today and I could before!

Thanks for today Rusty- you’re a gent.

• Like 1

I have the oil and plan on doing mine some time this week once I find some ramps, or alternatives at work!

You probably already have, but it might be worth trying to top up the oil after running it in case there is an air lock or something?

• Thanks 1

I had a complaint in with Skoda UK regarding my Haldex pump failure at 38k miles. My aim was to get reimbursed for the cost of the repair as i believe the failure was due to clogged filters. They contacted me yesterday with the usual scripted response and fobbed me off, because the repair was carried out by a 3rd party they cannot reimburse me blah blah blah. Could not or would not comment on why VAG don't have a replacement part for the filter when all other manufacturers that use the gen 4 haldex do. I hung up on the guy in the end cos it was like listening to a broken record.

I'll be submitting a new complaint.

Make a nuisance of yourself, go to honest john, watchdog, facebook, twitter, etc.  Give em loads of bad publicity "Latest VW scandal after dieselgate"  etc.  If they don't fold just get loads of evidence and take it to the small claims court.  It'll cost them more in legal fees to defend it than to pay up!  I'd expect them to at some point in the process realise you're not going to give up and go away quietly and will give you something to shut you up and make you go away.

1 minute ago, Rustynuts said:

The manufacturers responsibility ended as soon as the repair was effected by a third party. Even if you went to court with smart lawyers you'd get nowhere with that.

Exactly!

I went to a third party because the local dealer didn't complete the diagnostic and repair on the date they had the car, the next available date was a month away. 

The point is that i believe the haldex failed because VAG don't clean or replace the filters during the haldex service, and for that they should be compensating me. 

The third party garage is one of the most respected VAG independents in the country.

In that case, arm yourself with a qualified motor engineer's report stating reason for failure being due to VAG negligence in designing and maintaining a system which is not of acceptable quality and suitable for purpose, get yourself a lawyer and a second mortgage and instruct him to take the dealer to court for failing to diagnose and repair your vehicle in the time frame you expected and claim the incurred costs from said dealer, further instruct him to take VAG to court for the initial issue of system design in conjunction with the engineer's report and any further evidence you can obtain which isn't anecdotal or hearsay, you could also include in there Borg Warner for actually producing the system to VAG specification when they should be experts in their field and would be expected to advise VAG accordingly.

It's not gonna be easy I think.

Or you could take to soshul meedja and kick off I suppose which would be just about as ineffective.

Overall, if you'd informed the dealer you'd given them the opportunity to repair the car and they failed so you'd be getting it repaired elsewhere and claiming costs back from them then you might have a leg to stand on.

But as it stands you might have as much chance taking Woolworths to court for selling sweets that you didn't like.:biggrin:

On 31/03/2019 at 18:38, Rustynuts said:

The new Yeti occasionally shows it now when the Haldex is working, but I have to be driving like an arse.

You may not have meant it to be read this way, but I'll say this again anyway for those who may have missed it the first time: the TCS light does not indicate that the Haldex is working.  There is no indication on the dash that the Haldex is working.  The TCS light can in fact be a clue that the Haldex isn't working, because it shows that the other traction control and stability systems are having to intervene to control wheelspin.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Excuse a naive question from a 2.0 Litre diesel Yeti-owning novice but is it possible to do a Gen 4 Haldex service on without VCDS? ie; can the filter be removed and replaced without running the Haldex pump via VCDS (I don’t have a diagnostic interface unit).

On 06/04/2019 at 14:05, ejstubbs said:

You may not have meant it to be read this way, but I'll say this again anyway for those who may have missed it the first time: the TCS light does not indicate that the Haldex is working.  There is no indication on the dash that the Haldex is working.  The TCS light can in fact be a clue that the Haldex isn't working, because it shows that the other traction control and stability systems are having to intervene to control wheelspin.

However the stability system has to recognise wheel slip before the Haldex is engaged?