vRS Heated leather seat retrofit

Wangarai

• 1 month later...

Balls of Steel doing this.....reminds me when I took on wiring up cruise on my Fabia vRS when it was still quite brand new and in warranty .....:D

Bonkers...still works though lol.

• Like 1

Hey are you pleased with the leathers btw ?
For me they don't seem "recaro" quality but are good enough and definitely better than what was in it and adding the heated like you have is just icing on the cake

The cloth really seems low rent to me its crazy they put such good seats with such basic material as it looks odd with leather/cloth combo to me, so you must be chuffed.
They seem to easily dent as in your pics can happen with poor storage, handling or whatever but don't worry they seem to just even out after enough normal use, mine have mostly anyway as there were some "creases or dents" like that they seem prone to strangely.

• Like 1

I'm very pleased with the seats, a great improvement on the standard vRS seats (albeit the difference is the seat covering and heating elements; the seat itself is the same).

They really finish off the car and he red/black is a good match to the red calipers and my red/black roof rails and bike carriers. My colleague did laugh when she asked if I had chosen my site boots (red/black Dunlop shorty wellies) to match my car. Now that would be really sad :D

Granted the seats are not in the same league as the Audi S-Line seats or the Recaros in Fords (I'm an ex-Ford enthusiast) but they look good and are easy to keep clean which, having two young children, is very important!

I've removed some of the bumps/dents in the seat using a heat gun and wetting the leather, it was only the passenger seat that had an indent, so much improved :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can recall (I think) that all electrics (seat motor & heater) are via the single 10pin connector for each seat. Your best bet would be to download the wiring schematics for Erwin - there is reference to "J810 Driver seat adjustment control unit, under driver seat" which includes additional wires. I don't know if the driver seat control unit part of the seat structure, or a separate module?

• 3 months later...

@Vilho I'm not altogether sure. I suspect the backseat may be the same, but the door cards will differ?

It may be worth reviewing an online parts catalogue to see if there are different part numbers for wagon / hatchback. I had a quick check of the Body Work manual, Section 72 - Seat Frames, however there is no mention of difference in the installation/removal of the rear bench.

8 hours ago, Wangarai said:

@Vilho I'm not altogether sure. I suspect the backseat may be the same, but the door cards will differ?

It may be worth reviewing an online parts catalogue to see if there are different part numbers for wagon / hatchback. I had a quick check of the Body Work manual, Section 72 - Seat Frames, however there is no mention of difference in the installation/removal of the rear bench.

Okay. thanks for your answer, need to check that more closely.

• 1 year later...

hello sir ,looking for you help 
i upgraded my interior from non electric seats to electric vrs seats 
all i want is just to make it move and save position 
i dont really want to make my tooot hot haha
could you help with the wiring 
i allready ordered the connector from ali express 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

A great write up, definitely made me consider giving this a go.

I have a 2017 vrs, with fabric seats. I want to keep the seats but get the heated inserts.

Had anyone done a retro fit with the genuine inserts, rather than replacing the actual seats

Am I right in thinking to do this on my Mk3 Vrs,

I would need the seat inserts, climate control panel with heated seat buttons and the kufatec loom.

Is there anything else I would need other than to sort the coding after install? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK so today i installed the wiring and control panel. 

I am still waiting for the seats pads to arrive.

Once I installed the new control panel with heated seats buttons, I tested the buttons and they lit up as expected and displayed the seat levels on the infotainment display.

There was also an option for heated steering wheel.

I noticed that the sync buttom my new panel seemed to be operating like a left hand drive (passenger one controlled both dials). 

I assume my unit was from LHD. I changed the setting to RHD, but didn't do anything. Randomly I plugged the old unit back in and coded RHD again, then plugged the new one in and it seemed to solve the issue. Don't ask me how?.

The problem I have now is, after the sync started working the heated seat level no longer displays in the infotainment screen. 

Any ideas?

Edited by STU3Y

On 22/10/2021 at 06:28, Sampower said:

hello sir ,looking for you help 
i upgraded my interior from non electric seats to electric vrs seats 
all i want is just to make it move and save position 
i dont really want to make my tooot hot haha
could you help with the wiring 
i allready ordered the connector from ali express 

@Sampower

Did u end up doing this? I wanted some help with this too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2024 at 17:42, STU3Y said:

OK so today i installed the wiring and control panel. 

I am still waiting for the seats pads to arrive.

Once I installed the new control panel with heated seats buttons, I tested the buttons and they lit up as expected and displayed the seat levels on the infotainment display.

There was also an option for heated steering wheel.

I noticed that the sync buttom my new panel seemed to be operating like a left hand drive (passenger one controlled both dials). 

I assume my unit was from LHD. I changed the setting to RHD, but didn't do anything. Randomly I plugged the old unit back in and coded RHD again, then plugged the new one in and it seemed to solve the issue. Don't ask me how?.

The problem I have now is, after the sync started working the heated seat level no longer displays in the infotainment screen. 

Any ideas?

So i have sorted this. It was previously fitted to a LHD, so is now changed to right and syncing correctly. Turned out it just needed a couple of minutes with the ignition off for the coding to take. 

With regards to the heated seat levels showingon infotainment screen, i have discovered these only show when the heated wheel is coded and shown to multi stage, ao at least i know nothing is wrong. 

So just installed everything today. 

For anyone the is going to do thsi by inserting pads rather than buying the sears, here are a few pics of what to expect in a Mk3 Vrs fabric seat

First I took the last seats out, undoing the 4 multi spline bolts. I found it easier to lay the seat flat and remove it via the back door as there is less chance of damaging the dash etc. 

Once out I removed the plastic compartment underneath, which was a few torx screws.

I then removed the side plastics, these were held in by little plastic pin clips. You push the oin in the it allows the main body of the clip to be pulled out.

There are a few clamps inside that just need prying open with a screw driver or trim tool.

I then removed the metal rails that the plastic clips too. This is a few torx screws also.

Having done that you get access to the covers. Start with the base cover. They take a bit of encouraging to get off, but you basically unclip the fabric from each side underneath. It is like a U shaped plastic that slots over the frame. Once you start taking it off the rest gets easier. 

After all the front and side are done, the foam will lift up freely. On these seats there are no wires connected to the foam base. They are only connected to the bakc rest. 

Now is the time to undo the 4 multi spline bolts that hold the backrest to the base frame. 

Once these undo, you can lift the backrest off. BE CAREFUL as there is not much free play in the cable that is still clipped the underside of the base frame. 

You can move it away enough to get to the back of the base. Again unlcip the cover from the back. This will then free up the entire base foam and cover.Screenshot_20240312_202239_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8d0d9ba7a6a32c31e1e20f8197a9c8a0.jpg

Now this is off you can start peeling the cover off. Both sides and front and back will lift off. 

However the cover is held with 4 hog ties each side of the seam. It also has plastic v groove clips along the back seam. 

Screenshot_20240312_202345_Gallery.thumb.jpg.65532ab1cbab4bc602e44f05d7d4dbc8.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202350_Gallery.thumb.jpg.178b545b34a26d310f7f99b0aa43b66f.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202341_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2295cd819b2dda7ec55ad753816d832f.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202332_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c7651e84e50e1b6b5eaf60ca02fa81ba.jpg

The above pics are the sides

I used Long nose pliers to start opening the hog tie, and then one there was enough room I used Cir'clip pliers to open them fully. 

Screenshot_20240312_202335_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5b03ed341ccd33b100475be15fb550c7.jpg

once the cover was away, i removed the hog tie and put it aside to be re used when putting things back together.

Having removed all hog ties on both sides I was left with the v groove clips, one row at the front edge of the cross hatch stitching, and one at the backScreenshot_20240312_203813_Gallery.thumb.jpg.dbe7959db9c5cd5986a9cebaad46b0b5.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202339_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d94731de667cd131b668da57ba4f36ac.jpg

For ease and to prevent damage, i just slid the cover slowly out of one side. This stopped me having to lever theem open, which is needed on the back rest later.

You are now left with thisScreenshot_20240312_202322_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a51eaa57d6e956ef238ffe77c42ff44b.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202316_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2dd523672b31876bbcc0c8e6b3ed0e51.jpg

Now I fitted the heated seat pad. It is shaped perfectly to the seat so you can't really get this wrong.

The only important thing is to take your time and make sure you fold the joins into the gaps properly to stop them breaking when you reassemble the cover.Screenshot_20240312_202309_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a4e216a8de73665b546265aa1f4f128e.jpg

Now you can refit the cover.

This is it, inside out after removal, you can see the holes where the hog ties go.

Screenshot_20240312_210309_Gallery.thumb.jpg.85e3b34d023dd353310e0c55c174c036.jpg

I used the original hog ties and hog tie pliers I bought from Amazon 

Screenshot_20240312_202244_Gallery.thumb.jpg.834191e41bb17eaf05aa9af1af003a24.jpg

Insert the hog tie, loop one emd through the gap in the seat cover, then push down into the channel gap on the Seat base. As soon as you see the hog tie go under the retaining rod, squeeze the pliers and job done!