VRS MPG - Miles per Gallon

When I feel like going for a drive, but have no particular place to go, I have a favourite 20 mile circuit.  A mix of A & B roads, three dual carriageway blats and around three miles of 30mph.

For the interest I did it twice today.  First time driving sedately, reading the road, steady 60mph on the dual carriageways - 41mpg, and at one point in a 40mph zone it was ticking along at 63mpg for over a mile.  Second time I drove spiritedly, accelerating hard, overtaking whenever possible, enjoying the drive - 21mpg, and I could have probably got it lower had it not been for traffic holding me up.  I've learned nothing that I didn't already know, but it was interesting all the same. 

Gaz

• Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 23:57, stubev156 said:

Those of you getting decent mpg, are you driving in 'Eco mode' or 'Normal'? 

Always in Sport for me. Just crunched some numbers for the first 18 months in the 245. Over 19,952 miles used 2,291.96 litres of Shell V-Power which is 504.17 gallons so overall 39.57mpg.:thumbup:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, stubev156 said:

But does ECO mode actually work and save MPG? Anyone worked it out? Thanks. 

Personally, I found it worse, struggled to clear 40mpg using Eco mode, very easy to clear 40mpg in normal.

3 hours ago, stubev156 said:

But does ECO mode actually work and save MPG? Anyone worked it out? Thanks. 

If you have a DSG auto box then ECO gives you a few things that MAY assist better economy:

The gearbox changes up at lower revs, the throttle is less sensitive (more throttle to achieve the same power), and off-throttle 'coasting' is enabled.

There may be other less obvious benefits such as air-con cooling may be less aggressive but I cannot confirm these.

Depending on how and in what environment you drive then you may get some benefits from eco mode but there have been many statements made in this forum that owners have achieved better economy figures in the other modes than in eco.

Personally I think that dulling throttle response achieves very little (it may be more useful in icy conditions though) most people drive to the conditions and automatically adjust the throttle as required.. so little or no savings.

Changing up early can be of benefit but I have driven manual cars where the recommended change point was not the most economical.

Coasting can be beneficial but in a limited number of circumstances and only where the driver is using a great deal of traffic anticipation. Most drivers in UK conditions get more benefit from engine braking available in Norm or sport modes.

Sorry to be so vague but there are so many variables. 

Personally I would not buy a VRS for economy. 

• Like 3

On 21/03/2019 at 10:11, shyVRS245 said:

Always in Sport for me. Just crunched some numbers for the first 18 months in the 245. Over 19,952 miles used 2,291.96 litres of Shell V-Power which is 504.17 gallons so overall 39.57mpg.:thumbup:

no idea how you manage that, I have done 29mpg since new in my 230 (pre facelift). it gets into high 30's on a long run but that's it!

20 minutes ago, marko said:

no idea how you manage that, I have done 29mpg since new in my 230 (pre facelift). it gets into high 30's on a long run but that's it!

Would be higher but let SWMBO drive it at least once a week and she normally gets 30-34mpg on her rush hour commute. 26 miles each way and takes her 2 hours. My commute less stop/start and different roads/time of day which helps. Having 142bhp at 2,000rpm and 212bhp at 3,000rpm also means not having to rev the nuts off it to make decent progress. This is where a tuned car really beats a stock car day to day, low rev punch and flexibility (350lb/ft at 2,000rpm).:inlove:

Nice easy run down to Dover today, filled to top before leaving and 14L to top up again before getting on ferry.

245 DSG Shell V Power/Esso driving In Normal coasting at 50/70mph depending on limits.

8F2E1131-DD97-4989-B5B6-342AA93446EF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 10:11, shyVRS245 said:

That is great.

43mpg out of the VRS diesel driving like the vicar's wife is all I could achieve; you got close to that in a 245 petrol in Sport mode, fantastic.

And so much more fun to drive, I'll bet?

That's why Skoda's diesels are dead in the water, their petrol engines are so far ahead of their diesels it's almost unreal.

Almost unreal.

28 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

43mpg out of the VRS diesel driving like the vicar's wife is all I could achieve

Either all your mileage was around town in traffic or it was broken then. 

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

That is great.

43mpg out of the VRS diesel driving like the vicar's wife is all I could achieve; you got close to that in a 245 petrol in Sport mode, fantastic.

And so much more fun to drive, I'll bet?

That's why Skoda's diesels are dead in the water, their petrol engines are so far ahead of their diesels it's almost unreal.

Almost unreal.

far a head in terms of power? or efficiency?

On 17/03/2019 at 12:54, jonnyboy78 said:

Any Diesel vRS owners like to comment on real world mpg, going by the petrol numbers I am guessing they average around 50, always good to know when diesel is 10p more expensive but at the moment the diesels models are now cheaper to purchase than the petrols.

Comfortably achieve mid 40s, 50+mpg isn't that difficult, traffic / road conditions permitting.

Could average between 25mpg and 35mpg in my TDIvRS could achieve better but choose not to due to all that torque after the stage one remap. Then the figures just descended with the new turbo and stuff. Before the mods and driving the speed limit the mk3 easily retains awesome millage of 50s 60s without a problem. I can still get about 75mpg on the motorway when doing the speed limit.

2 hours ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

Could average between 25mpg and 35mpg in my TDIvRS could achieve better but choose not to due to all that torque after the stage one remap. Then the figures just descended with the new turbo and stuff. Before the mods and driving the speed limit the mk3 easily retains awesome millage of 50s 60s without a problem. I can still get about 75mpg on the motorway when doing the speed limit.

do you live at the top of a very long downhill stretch of motorway?

sorry but i cant believe that for a second.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

do you live at the top of a very long downhill stretch of motorway?

sorry but i cant believe that for a second.

No I live in middle of town. 

It's ok you don't have to be sorry and you don't have to believe it for any length of time. 

2 hours ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

No I live in middle of town. 

It's ok you don't have to be sorry and you don't have to believe it for any length of time. 

dont worry i dont as you are into hybrid figures. I could coast down hill and not get within 15mpg of those figures.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

dont worry i dont as you are into hybrid figures. I could coast down hill and not get within 15mpg of those figures.

Ohh I don't worry about anything really. No its not a hybrid. Ok we obviously have different driving styles but that's fine, everyone is different and every car is different. :biggrin: