Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

8 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

Just looking in after a couple of months of ownership of this 1.5 engine in my Audi A3. It is unbelievable how this engine can perform so differently in different cars.

Colin

Which MY is it?

I also have A3, since 2017 October, and you can read my story on below link.

A3 1.5 Kangarooish - Link

• Thanks 1

Audi A3 use same engine ECUs as Skoda OctaviaIII, so 05E906018 A (likely without OPF), 05E906018 AL (likely wih OPF), according ETKA breakpoint made on October 2018???

Same ECUs as Karoq have yet VW T-Roc and Seat Ateca, those are the most problematic cars with 1.5 TSI DADA engine.

Edited by rayx
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StEdmund said:

Is that a manual, or automatic gearbox in your A3, please?

Sorry, forgot that bit, it's a manual. Also a 2019 model, collected March 1st 2019.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

59 minutes ago, RichardKE said:

Booked my Karoq in for the software update. Did everyone whose had the update get this done free under warranty? Bristol Street Skoda Derby wouldn't commit when I asked.

The engine had an update applied last week for what Skoda called hesitation I haven't driven the 600 miles yet that SUK suggest is required for the ECU to be fully updated and trained into your driving style, so after around 220miles the low rev second gear hesitation appears to have gone although living in a very rural area I haven't tried the slipping onto a roundabout without stopping scenario i.e. flat spot/no power second gear when throttle pedal fully depressed.

There does seem to be an issue post update when using stop-start ie. not deactivated, in that at certain times when starting off the engine stalls or stutters (small kangaroo?) and  the stop-start seems to kick in and out faster than it did before, as previously mentioned the engine now ticks over from a cold start at 1250rpm when previously it was 1000rpm, as before it does drop to a lower rev count.

As far as SUK are concerned they haven't heard about this post update issue before and still recommend waiting until the 600 miles post update have been driven before taking the Karoq to a Skoda retailer for further investigation.

Time or rather mileage will tell.

* Forgot to mention that I made sure with SUK that they would pay the Skoda retailer if there were any charges for applying the update etc. etc.

Edited by Apprentice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My MY19 Karoq is going to the dealer tomorrow to have a a new plastic cladding piece put on the passenger door. I’ve spoken to Skoda UK about having the software update applied to it at the same time.

I am a bit concerned following my calling them today to check that the plastic panel had arrived as when I said it was to have the update they had only got down ‘diagnostic for juddering in 1st gear’. After explaining it wasn’t a diag but an update the chap told me there was no recall or TPI on it which I explained I’d already gone through once with someone there hence speaking to Skoda UK about it.

Suffice to say that when I go there tomorrow I’ll be telling them it’s getting a software update and calling Susie from Skoda while I’m there if they try to argue the toss.

• Like 1

Seems that some dealers are somewhat obstructive. Perhaps if you put something in writing with reference to the safety aspect of the 'stall' phenonemon and hand it to the service manager he might wake up. Foretunately my dealers, Robert Eardley were very forthright even to giving me the details to contact Suzie at Skoda UK.  Hense I had the update applied early April and so far it has done what I hoped. Good luck!

:-D

The reality of business is they they need to be assured they will get paid for the work and what they do is an approved procedure. 

My fix seems to have been successful. I'm half way through my adaption period. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stevieweevie said:

My MY19 Karoq is going to the dealer tomorrow to have a a new plastic cladding piece put on the passenger door. I’ve spoken to Skoda UK about having the software update applied to it at the same time.

I am a bit concerned following my calling them today to check that the plastic panel had arrived as when I said it was to have the update they had only got down ‘diagnostic for juddering in 1st gear’. After explaining it wasn’t a diag but an update the chap told me there was no recall or TPI on it which I explained I’d already gone through once with someone there hence speaking to Skoda UK about it.

Suffice to say that when I go there tomorrow I’ll be telling them it’s getting a software update and calling Susie from Skoda while I’m there if they try to argue the toss.

When I took the Karoq in to the retailer the young lady at the service desk was a bit unsure about the update and the service manager wasn't in to confirm or deny it, anyway she said she would check out the recent emails from Skoda UK regarding the update for my vehicle.

When I collected the Karoq the rattle/noise etc in the door void had been sorted and the "update" done, I was given a waranty invoice listing all the work and various checks completed at no cost to myself, amongst the Notes was "Confirmed on road test vehicle is hesitant at time. Found TPI for fault. Requires an engine softwear update. Carried out softwear update, carried out road test and now all OK." 

No mention of the 600 miles to be driven for the ECU to be fully updated that I got from Skoda UK 😉

Edited by Apprentice
typo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

What is the actual difference between the MY18 and MY19 cars? different ECU?

Just wondering why it's taking so long to get a fix for MY18.

MY19 vehicles have a gasoline particulate filter. Beyond that I don't know that there is any significant difference to the engines.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

When I took the Karoq in to the retailer the young lady at the service desk was a bit unsure about the update and the service manager wasn't in to confirm or deny it, anyway she said she would check out the recent emails from Skoda UK regarding the update for my vehicle.

When I collected the Karoq the rattle/noise etc in the door void had been sorted and the "update" done, I was given a waranty invoice listing all the work and various checks completed at no cost to myself, amongst the Notes was "Confirmed on road test vehicle is hesitant at time. Found TPI for fault. Requires an engine softwear update. Carried out softwear update, carried out road test and now all OK." 

No mention of the 600 miles to be driven for the ECU to be fully updated that I got from Skoda UK 😉

I was called by the dealership to say technician couldn't find any update and had to call Skoda UK to get the person to call the dealership with instructions.

It's been done now but the cladding has some clips which are broken and didn't come with the new piece so I have got a courtesy car until Monday. Will update then when I have driven it.

• Like 2

They have obviously different software in the ECU since the emissions' manipulation is different.

MY19 are surely a priority since new cars are surely affected.

My question though is, why don't they apply the fix directly to new cars but instead the dealer has to do so after customer's request.

You would expect that a new software would be the formal one loaded to all new cars. Because if its a software problem how does it affect only some percent of production and not all running under the same software.

• Like 2

@ fidelio

Good point and one I asked Skoda UK a good number of weeks ago, still waiting for an answer (which I won't get ) however the so called Q2 update for my Karoq did eventually appear, updated on the 30th April 2019.

18 minutes ago, fidelio said:

They have obviously different software in the ECU since the emissions' manipulation is different.

My question though is, why don't they apply the fix directly to new cars but instead the dealer has to do so after customer's request.

You would expect that a new software would be the formal one loaded to all new cars. Because if its a software problem how does it affect only some percent of production and not all running under the same software.

My car a MY18 has been affected since brand new, In my eyes I have had a defective vehicle longer so surely would be the priority!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

My car a MY18 has been affected since brand new, In my eyes I have had a defective vehicle longer so surely would be the priority!

Mine too. In fact mine was fine when i bought it and due to an ECU fault, i had it updated and then i got the problem.

I  believe as i have said before that the initial software was only covering the kangaroo.

But i only made a logical argument, I didn't speak through my eyes :)

Edited by fidelio

4 hours ago, fidelio said:

My car was produced few weeks ago and probably it would still come with the old software. But you can see that they don't roll out update to everyone because they are on the stage of collecting user feedback now. It looks like there is no obvious and very easy fix, so it's understandable that you shouldn't install it to all new cars without collecting feedback, otherwise you will have plenty of customers with kangaroo problem but also all cars produced from April 2019 onwards will have something else :)

10 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

Seems that some dealers are somewhat obstructive.

I think this is unfair. Skoda UK do not appear to have sent out any sort of general bulletin or information on this and it has been very much left to dealers to work out, in conjunction with their customers, how to address this.  My dealer has only sold two 1.5 TSi Superbs and it was only when I raised the issue of the fault with them that they became aware of it. Even the way Skoda UK dealt with the update required dealers to log individual requests to download it.   

When I first contacted Skoda Customer Services during the endless wait for the update, the first guy I spoke to denied all knowledge of a fault and a fix. My guess is that the issue is known to a small number of central technical people and senior customer service people (and presumably to line management all the way to the top) in Skoda UK, but not to staff generally in Skoda UK and not to dealers generally.  It may be that the senior technician at a dealership is aware, but that doesn't mean the people we interface with as customers, whether sales or after sales, necessarily know about this.

Of course, I may just be naive!