Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

Many thanks Skoffski  for the info and for all the other comments and replies.

It seems that there are good well informed dealers in the UK, just a bit of a lottery as to where you live.

I did buy the Karoq in Preston ( 100 miles away) as they had one in stock in January but my nearest main dealer is in Carlisle 25 miles distant where it is booked in.

• Like 1

@JakeB1941  Thanks for that, but what else can Dealerships do other than print something like that.

Before i would sign anything i would want Written Information from VW Group / Skoda UK with a signature with them taking responsibility and an admission of a known issue and an assurance it is not a Warranty issue and more a Fundamental Design , Manufacturing or Software failure and that will be dealt with beyond the Warranty Period if it affects the early demise of hardware, clutch or clutch packs as an example.

Yes, I take on board and agree with your observations on this sad affair! It is a great shame that the reputation of the Skoda brand is suffering amongst owners affected.

Personally I have found Skoda UK to be very responsive and supportive to my concerns and I would urge all who have not contacted them to do so.

I decided to contact Skoda UK regarding the software patch for the 2nd gear hesitation to hopefully ensure that the local dealer is fully aware of the problem and the fix.  And also to ask why after 12 weeks I have not heard the result of a Warranty claim for a paintwork fault on the tailgate.

The chap on the helpdesk was most helpful and said they had not received any Warranty claim for the paintwork from the local dealer. Harumph!  Skoda UK must have spoken with the dealer as I had a text message confirming the appointment for the fix, that is a first!

So I have to agree with Jake B1941 that Skoda UK could not have been more helpful.

Edited by Karock
typo
  • Like 1

Hi all my dsg equipped car has similar problems to everyone else 20-30 mph light throttle gives it a nice stutter but mine also had a very dangerous thing as it suffered from no throttle response which was very unnerving and scared the hell out of the wife. The problem occurred when rolling up to a junction lift off the brakes rolling momentum carries you out into the road and you naturally press the accelerator and yep nothing happened engine sat on tick over not to bad in town but when joining a 60 mph road made it interesting. Took skoda over 2 months to write new software for it, l refused to drive it so they put me in a hire car hope this helps. Ironically it's going back in Friday as the stutter is no better but not had the unresponsive issues reappear yet

• Sad 1

Like several others have reported on here, I received a call from Skoda UK on Friday; it was a new person - the 3rd to have been dealing with my case - you can make of that, what you will. The question was 'How are you getting on with the car since the software update was applied?' - some 6 weeks and 930 miles had passed since the fix. I reported that the car had not died on me when pulling out of junctions etc but the kangarooing was as bad as before, if not worse. I was then informed that a second software update to sort out the marsupials would be released in a couple of months time.

The fact that the story has changed over time worries me somewhat - first it was a software update, then a 2-stage software update, then a single update and, now, it's back to 2 again. I get the impression that they are stabbing around in the dark and I am one of many unofficial road-testers for VAG.

So - do I throw in the towel at this stage? I guess the reason for not rejecting the car has been the fact that it is, in every other respect, the car that perfectly fulfils our needs - it was purchased after very careful comparisons with other marques and models. So, I am now asking myself whether or not I should hang on to the car - what will be the effect on the resale value of the car if it carries a 'reputation'  and will there be any long-term repercussions on the health of the car e.g. the clutch? Certainly, after one of the dreaded 'dying at junctions' incidents, there was an evil smell of burnt clutch pervading the atmosphere.

Edited by StEdmund
removal of spare words

1 hour ago, StEdmund said:

I was then informed that a second software update to sort out the marsupials would be released in a couple of months time.

That's typical cat&mice game and guess what role you play in there ...

TPI 2050744 and its version 2050744/8 with published updates versions is solving kangarooing

TPI 2053902/1 is solving dying of the engine

Updates they released were related to both TPI according erWin ...

German Kodiaq forum

Interesting comments. 

I am now 1 month in, and a few hundred miles, from the update. My feelings mirror others on here.

the revs on startup are certainly higher than previously.

the second gear flat spot/ hesitation has gone. But........ even when the engine is warm, when at low speeds in second gear, for example when creeping round a carpark with dogs and kids everywhere, the revs creep up and there is a degree of ‘runaway’ where it just gets faster and faster to the point that you have to ride the clutch . I assume that this is the ecu trying to avoid the famous stall/ flat spot but it’s not great. And when I do my report to the dealer on the update I will include the fact that I expect the car will need a new clutch while I own it and I don’t intend to pay for it. 

The kangarooing is still there. It is only , for me, for the first couple of hundred meters. But it’s not right and shouldn’t happen.

AND...... I’m not sure about this. About once a week or so the car will stall. A proper stall requiring a restart. Not the flat spot. It’s  normally at low speeds or going into first. It’s not like the original problem but I can’t help feeling it’s related. I don’t think it’s me because as an experienced driver with professional driving qualifications I like to think I’m a better driver than that. Does anyone else have this issue? 

Im interested in a second update to deal with the hopping . If I get a follow up call from Skoda UK I’ll ask the question.

Its all a bit irritating really. It’s a nice car but it was really very naughty indeed of Skoda to keep these on the forecourts without doing something about it or, apparently,  informing the dealerships of the problem. I know it’s been covered in this forum. It’s all about profit. It’s early days yet but Skoda are going to have to try very hard next time round to keep me as a customer for a fourth Skoda. 

When Skoda UK have a Communications Manager call i would always ask if they can put their information on further Software Updates / Enhancements in writing and put in the post or by Email.

Best keep the paper trail as Skoda / VW really hope that those that expect a perfect product for many thousands of GBP will just bog off.

Memories are short, the Media Fan Boys / Girls don't bother with it being such a small number involved and after all VW at least call and keep in touch.

This will drag on for years as usual as VW / Skoda / SEAT / Audi Approved used cars do the rounds, even rejected cars with un-resolved issues.

Edited by Skoffski

On 21/05/2019 at 22:57, skodafab said:

Hi all my dsg equipped car has similar problems to everyone else 20-30 mph light throttle gives it a nice stutter but mine also had a very dangerous thing as it suffered from no throttle response which was very unnerving and scared the hell out of the wife. The problem occurred when rolling up to a junction lift off the brakes rolling momentum carries you out into the road and you naturally press the accelerator and yep nothing happened engine sat on tick over not to bad in town but when joining a 60 mph road made it interesting. Took skoda over 2 months to write new software for it, l refused to drive it so they put me in a hire car hope this helps. Ironically it's going back in Friday as the stutter is no better but not had the unresponsive issues reappear yet

When I read this post, I thought I’d written it! It mirrors my history with the 1.5 DSG Karoq. 

The car had three weeks off the road in the first three months. Totally unacceptable, even though I had a hire car. Now the stutter is as bad as ever and like the OP I haven’t had the dangerous zero throttle response issue.... BUT.... it’s much warmer now and my zero throttle response only happened when the outside temperature was about 5 degrees or below, so it could be next winter before it raised its head again.

It’s very sad as apart from the above it’s an excellent vehicle.

I see that some on here are reporting that their 1.5 Karoqs appear to be fine, so there appears to be a fair degree of variability. If that is the case, why can't dealers take in the dodgy ones, and replace them with good ones? Presumably, the ones that are arriving into showrooms now must be working ok - I'd settle for one of those .............

Presumptions can bite you on the bum.

If VW Group / Skoda wrote down. 'All new cars with 1.5 TSI EVO engines arriving in the showrooms or PDI bays have no need to have a Software Update because of poor driving behaviour' that would be a good 'Trust building measure'.

They can not do that though, so best not assume.

Edited by Skoffski

4 hours ago, Quickasaquickthing said:

Interesting comments. 

I am now 1 month in, and a few hundred miles, from the update. My feelings mirror others on here.

the revs on startup are certainly higher than previously.

the second gear flat spot/ hesitation has gone. But........ even when the engine is warm, when at low speeds in second gear, for example when creeping round a carpark with dogs and kids everywhere, the revs creep up and there is a degree of ‘runaway’ where it just gets faster and faster to the point that you have to ride the clutch . I assume that this is the ecu trying to avoid the famous stall/ flat spot but it’s not great. And when I do my report to the dealer on the update I will include the fact that I expect the car will need a new clutch while I own it and I don’t intend to pay for it. 

The kangarooing is still there. It is only , for me, for the first couple of hundred meters. But it’s not right and shouldn’t happen.

AND...... I’m not sure about this. About once a week or so the car will stall. A proper stall requiring a restart. Not the flat spot. It’s  normally at low speeds or going into first. It’s not like the original problem but I can’t help feeling it’s related. I don’t think it’s me because as an experienced driver with professional driving qualifications I like to think I’m a better driver than that. Does anyone else have this issue? 

Im interested in a second update to deal with the hopping . If I get a follow up call from Skoda UK I’ll ask the question.

Its all a bit irritating really. It’s a nice car but it was really very naughty indeed of Skoda to keep these on the forecourts without doing something about it or, apparently,  informing the dealerships of the problem. I know it’s been covered in this forum. It’s all about profit. It’s early days yet but Skoda are going to have to try very hard next time round to keep me as a customer for a fourth Skoda. 

It's nearly a month and 540 miles since my Karoq had the update and I haven't noticed the flat spot/no power at low revs in second gear issue so fingers crossed that it is sorted, however like you I have experienced on around three occasions and during the first 200 miles post update the "runaway" issue and as it happened it occured in car parks driving slowly in second gear but it hasn't happened again. In the early days/ low miles post update the engine stalled a few times for no reason when moving off or coming to a stop and had to be started manually, at first I thought it had something to do with stop-start but it also happened when the S-S was deactivated, during the last couple of hundred miles of driving it hasn't stalled again regardless if the stop-start is on or off.

The Karoq never had any of the Kangaroo problems although there could be a muffled Joey sometimes when setting off in first gear, will need to check but I don't think the anti-stall system i.e. a small increase in revs (750 to 1000rpm) when you you let the clutch out in first gear is so obvious now post update.

Reported fuel consumption for a round trip of 44 miles on Highland A class roads this Saturday was 47.7mpg.

My driving style has probably adapted unconsciously/or had to after nearly 4 months of driving the Karoq so that might explain some of the changes never mind the update  :sadsmile:

The wife and I are about ready to chuck in the towel with ours nipped out in ours the other morning and I was convinced that while approaching home going up the hill the stuttering was that bad at 20mph that I would have sworn it was gonna break down 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Sad 1

Driven over 600 miles since the update for "hesitation" and there is no sign of the previous instances of the no power/dead spot in second gear and the engine is running pretty sweet just now, a return trip of 42 miles this morning had a recorded fuel consumption of 49.5mpg and on a longer round trip yesterday of nearly seventy miles the recorded figure was 47.4mpg with tyre pressures of 32psi front and back.

It may be me but the ACT seems to be cutting in more often than it did before post update.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/evo-engines

2 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

Driven over 600 miles since the update for "hesitation" and there is no sign of the previous instances of the no power/dead spot in second gear and the engine is running pretty sweet just now, a return trip of 42 miles this morning had a recorded fuel consumption of 49.5mpg and on a longer round trip yesterday of nearly seventy miles the recorded figure was 47.4mpg with tyre pressures of 32psi front and back.

It may be me but the ACT seems to be cutting in more often than it did before post update.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/evo-engines

Good to hear at least one very positive experience following the update.

1 hour ago, AlanHH said:

Good to hear at least one very positive experience following the update.

Initially there were a few post update related issues that were not there previously but as the mileage got to around 400+ miles they were no longer evident, hopefully gone for good now that the ECU has been re-educated  :giggle:

I checked my MY19 1.5SEL manual (2200 miles) into the main dealers for the software update only to be met with: " The software update is due out next month" This was after Skoda UK confirmed that the  dealer had the update and all should go smoothly.

I was rather peeved to say the least. The Dealer suggested I go with them for a run and attempt to demonstrate the fault which for my car was very occasional second gear hesitation.  I explained that the fault is well documented on several Forums only to be met with " I never look at Forums" by a guy I presumed was the head of reception. I further explained that many owners had received the update up and down the country so their stance was surprising.  The Master technician appeared who was most helpful and said he would check again. I was just about to drive off when he said that the software update had just arrived that morning and that was the first he knew about it. He further explained that the update was for the Kangarooing in first gear not the second gear hesitation as that update was due next month. As my car had never suffered kangarooing I suggested to wait until next month but he thought it worth updating the software to the latest version. They subsequently updated the software and must have given the car a decent road test as 20 miles was recorded.  It is too early to say if the update has had any effect, I certainly did not notice any difference driving home. On getting home there was a recorded message from Skoda UK customer service to say to ring them If I needed anything.

Communication between Skoda UK and the dealers appears to be sadly lacking or even worse. 

Many thanks to this Forum as armed with other owners experiences I was able to argue my case and hopefully  move forward.

In spite of this shambles I do like the car it suits our life style very well and on the 25 mile  trip to the dealer returned an indicated 50.2 mpg.  The seats are now out to pick up a greenhouse (kit) tomorrow.

I will report back when I have driven a few miles.

Thanks for all the most useful comments!

I intend writing to the owner as I believe not all the staff involved were at fault, e.g. the receptionist had only been in post for a few days, and the Master tech was very helpful

There is another outstanding matter regarding a paint defect that they were told about in February and took photos to send to Skoda UK as a guarantee claim.  Skoda UK had no knowledge of the claim and as its now 12 weeks could be awkward to process.

At the time I was told by the reception manager that claims take at least 6-7 weeks!  Skoda UK said 7-10 days was the norm. Again huge discrepancies!

I was speaking to a service manager this morning and got chatting about the 1.5TSI issues, and mentioned the updates, he replied that they have had 3 updates sent to them but all three have since been revoked and he doesn't know when any more will be issued, it seems some are helping the problems but not on all cars!

I was in picking up my 1.0 TSI as it broke down just as I was setting off on holiday, result was I was given a Tiguan for two weeks, I will explain the breakdown in a new topic.

• Like 1

An Update to my software update Saga:

Skoda UK rang me, presumably as a courtesy call following the update at the local dealer.  The young lady explained that the update I received was for 2nd gear hesitation not Kangarooing  and that the software update for Kangarooing is due shortly. This is the direct opposite of the information I was given  by the dealer, she also added that the ECU requires at least a 600 mile drive to accustom itself to my style of driving. I have no problem with this as other computer based systems e.g. Broadband Modems also require time to adjust.  What is of concern is the apparent conflicting information being promulgated by dealers and Skoda UK. I thought Brexit was bad enough!

Regarding my paintwork defect it was suggested that I contact the dealer who supplied the car ( 100 miles away) as the local dealer had failed to make a claim under warranty when I reported it in February, they took photographs but apparently failed to forward them to Skoda UK. I replied that as the failure in communication was between the dealer and Skoda UK it was up to them to sort it, I have been inconvenienced enough.  Skoda UK promised to ring back next week.  We shall see?

• Like 1

The Paint & the Corrosion Warranty T&C's are that you report ASAP to an Official Repairer so a Main Dealer your concerns.

You did that, the 'Official Repairer then 'failed' to do as they should.

So Skoda UK now know that, and they can act, they can arrange a 'Warranty Manager' to visit the car at your pleasure or when in at a Dealership.

They need to sort their sh!t, and deal with their Approved Dealerships, and Customer Services lack of Customer Service.