Has anyone actually removed the stop start

I know you can turn the stop start off using a button, but has anyone actually been able to remove it??. or knock it off altogether

8 minutes ago, skippy41 said:

I know you can turn the stop start off using a button, but has anyone actually been able to remove it??. or knock it off altogether

You can alter a parameter with VCDS or OBDEleven to raise the battery voltage required for stop/start to be active. Raise it high enough and it never kicks in. Plenty of people on here have done this.

I believe you need to hook it up to VCDS and change the conditions of stop/start i.e voltage  needs to be about 18 to allow it so effectively that condition will never be met.

Over time I have trained a lot of drivers in their vehicles, with quite a few vehicles having the stop start system. At the time I owned a 2011 Octavia VRS that did not have this tech, but I did wonder whether I would like it on my car? Now I have a motor with the stop start, I find it really quite good. My car is a manual and it certainly fires up the motor in a split second when you put the clutch down, so no delay in setting off. Automatic cars with this system can take that little bit longer, which can be frustrating when you want to take that small space entering a roundabout. Usually though, you get round that by easing off a bit of brake pressure just before you want to move, which can fire up the engine. Or with some cars, mine being one of them, move the steering wheel and the engine fires up ready to go. This system does in a small way of course, help your fuel economy. I know, rather a long post on a small subject, but personally,  now I have it, I know I like it.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

I have seen this discussed over on the Audi forums several times, there are various devices around similar to this........

https://www.kufatec.com/en/coding-diagnosis/kufatec-coding-dongle/coding-dongle-disable-start/stop-for-vw-seat-skoda-audi-40019

39 euros seems steep for a 1 function device? For about 25 more you can buy OBDEleven which would allow you to do this and many other adaptations, diagnostics etc.

2 hours ago, Bouncypete said:

It works a treat for me too, I can't see a reason to even turn it off.

DSG or Manual?

With DSG it stops the engine virtually every time you brake to a stop. When you go to pull out at a junction you get a worrying delay before you move off. Scary at main roads. 

Engine has to be stopped for more than 30 seconds for it to be worth the re-start. 

Its pretty useless at best and dangerous at worst. 

I always turn it off when starting the car. I sometimes turn it back on, if I think it will do any good. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, TDIum said:

With DSG it stops the engine virtually every time you brake to a stop. When you go to pull out at a junction you get a worrying delay before you move off. Scary at main roads. 

Engine has to be stopped for more than 30 seconds for it to be worth the re-start. 

I always turn it off when starting the car. I sometimes turn it back on, if I think it will do any good. 

Where did you get the 30 second stat from? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIum said:

Absolute piffle, you have got to learn how to drive and use the fuel and environment saving facility. It's not rocket science for goodness sake!!! ;<)

• Like 3

On a manual it is no problem, the engine cuts when you want it to. I found it no real problem on DSG cars MY15 and earlier.

However from MY16 there was a change in the parameters it uses to cut the engine and it cuts very sharply even before the wheels have come to a halt on the slightest downhill section.

It is no coincidence that this happened at the same time as a reduction in numbers for the infamous certification test which had a period at ‘idle’. 

It it doesn’t bother me enough to disable it as I use it now and again but it is switched off most of the time for the reason above and if you have a MY16 and later DSG I can understand the want to disable it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Where did you get the 30 second stat from? 

Do you agree at least that re-starting the motor takes some amount of energy? That would equate to keeping it running for a certain amount of time. I don;t remember where I got that "stat" from, but I believe that figure to be approximately correct. 

3 minutes ago, TDIum said:

Do you agree at least that re-starting the motor takes some amount of energy? That would equate to keeping it running for a certain amount of time. I don;t remember where I got that "stat" from, but I believe that figure to be approximately correct. 

And leaving the engine running when stationary doesn't?

Obviously there's a cut off point and sometimes it's not a black/white scenario in the real world as opposed to a lap where these systems are developed i.e. my SS seems to come in less than 10s after I become stationary.  If I'm the first at a set of red lights, that's fine as I'm not going to be sitting there idling for 30+ seconds but if I pull up behind a short queue of cars and the lights go green, the engine may only be off for a few seconds so would probably use more energy to restart than it's saved by not idling.

However, SS is all about cutting CO2 emissions, the less time the engine is running, the fewer CO2s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ77 said:

However, SS is all about cutting CO2 emissions, the less time the engine is running, the fewer CO2s.

Agreed but making the cutoff so harsh on the later cars to get the most out of the 'stationary' section of the certification rolling road run means that many (including me) just turn it off every time I get in the car. If they made it a bit more user friendly and gave it a 5 or 10 second delay I may leave it switched on.

And for those with earlier DSG cars that can bring it to a halt with light brake pressure but not activate the SS, be warned the point that the SS cuts in is also the release point for the DSG clutches. If you are stationary and the engine is still running (start/stop not inhibited) you will be slipping the DSG clutches.

4 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Agreed but making the cutoff so harsh on the later cars to get the most out of the 'stationary' section of the certification rolling road run means that many (including me) just turn it off every time I get in the car. If they made it a bit more user friendly and gave it a 5 or 10 second delay I may leave it switched on.

And for those with earlier DSG cars that can bring it to a halt with light brake pressure but not activate the SS, be warned the point that the SS cuts in is also the release point for the DSG clutches. If you are stationary and the engine is still running (start/stop not inhibited) you will be slipping the DSG clutches.

Completely agree with you and it cutting in so aggressively is definitely counter productive but manufactures aren't too bothered what happens after certification and the cars are released into the wild.

1 hour ago, Russ77 said:

Do you understand how your car charges its battery? You do know, don't you, that it takes energy from the battery to re-start the engine? 

21 minutes ago, TDIum said:

Do you understand how your car charges its battery? You do know, don't you, that it takes energy from the battery to re-start the engine? 

To be fair the energy required to restart a petrol engine from warm (around 300 amps peak, 100 amps average / 12v / 1 second ) is pretty minimal - maybe  1 watt hour per start maximum if my caclulations are correct.

45 minutes ago, TDIum said:

Yes thanks :giggle:

I also understand how cars with SS also have batteries that are designed to cope with the extra strain that's put on them and smart charging systems to cope with this too. :thumbup:

• Like 1

The engine is warm and (apparently) the SS system will bring the crankshaft to a stop at the optimal point for re-starting it. But inevitably there will be some energy used in re-starting it. There must be a time period for which it is better, in terms of total energy use (and therefore fuel use and CO2 emission) to keep it running. 

I believe that time period is approximately 30 seconds in normal conditions. 

You are obviously such an expert, that it is pointless me arguing with you any further. I bow to your superior knowledge. 

But I will keep on turning off the SS in my Octavia, thanks very much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TDIum said:

You are obviously such an expert, that it is pointless me arguing with you any further. I bow to your superior knowledge. 

But I will keep on turning off the SS in my Octavia, thanks very much. 

No not at all but I do note how a lot of your replies (that I've seen anyway) tend to be obnoxious and condescending so on the basis of "speaking how you are spoken to", I was just doing my bit ;)

What you do in your car is none of my business so the best of luck to you however you decide to set SS in your car :)

• Like 1

I will claim to be a bit of an expert on the electrical side as I have designed systems to test the stop start wear and capabilities of engines. Designing something to start an engine 100k+ times over a period of  6 months was fun but a little challenging.

It isn't just the power consumed from the starter motor on the stop / start - don't forget all your other ancillaries are still running (dashboard / lights / wipers / blowers etc etc) - These will easily add up to as much as it takes to start the engine over say 20-30 seconds of use.

I'm personally more concerned about the wear and tear on the start motor / flywheel teeth for long term issues - personally for any stop start time less than 10-15 seconds  at a time and I'd probably turn it off. The 30 seconds mentioned above is also a resonable figure but you'd be saving fuel for most stop / start cycles over 5-10 seconds anyway (with accelerated mechanical wear on at least the starter / flywheel).

Now the belt driven combined alternator / starter systems look good but I've not had much exposure to those yet ......

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BBDom said:

Now the belt driven combined alternator / starter systems look good but I've not had much exposure to those yet ......

I believe my Swift mild hybrid has one of those and I have found it excellent.  Stop cuts in at about 9mph in neutral and it restarts instantly (and very quietly - none of this starter motor clanking) as soon as the clutch is depressed,  Granted it's not an auto but is very well integrated as far as I can tell.  I've certainly never felt the need to turn it off but have, on one or two occasions got my arm and leg 'out of sync' such that I've had it in gear before it's tried to restart (which it doesn't like).  That's me though - not the car!