Reversing camera retrofit - connecting up

Contributing as i'm going through this install once the correct camera arrives.

Car is a 2015 hatchback/saloon. Here's my notes from removing the boot trim.

There are 8 of these clips to be removed using tool or a fork, you can see the holes where they were on the top of the trim in photo below.

pic1.jpg

Trim photo:

Pic2.jpg

Edited by lway
add detail.
  • Like 1

Word of warning regarding the A Pillar routing, if you have Curtain Airbags in the A Pillar make sure you are routing the cable close to the body and not between the Airbag and the Trim as this could impede the deployment of the Airbag. Route it and clip it securely away, this also prevents rattle from loose cables against the A Pillar trim.

This applies to Cameras and anything else that has cables you want to install in the A Pillar area.

• Like 1

Having had success with this reverse camera addition, I'm now finding it is working intermittently. I had an issue with it a few months back, the power jack plug was a poor connection as was the RCA connection. Iirc I cut them out and reconnected them with straight crimp connectors, but alas I keep getting no picture in reverse and a message saying that it is not available.

Now a job for the weekend to try and diagnose and fix, I'm hoping it's just a poor connection in the boot area 🤔

On 30/05/2019 at 16:30, bigade1 said:

After doing a great deal of in depth research I took the plunge and settled on this model and highly recommend it:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JIAYITIAN-Rear-View-Camera-For-Skoda-Octavia-MK3-A7-5E-2016-2017-2018-2019-Instead-of/32832472217.html

Following SashaGrace's thread I've installed it on a 17 plate hatchback and a 16 plate estate just last week. The dimensions are 110mm X 50mm which is the exact measurements for the Octavia from 2016 onwards. If your 2015 handle measures the same then this is the one you need. A straight forward clip in without any bolts. Earlier Octavias are a bit smaller 92mm X 35mm. It took 10 days to arrive, no need to buy any connectors or pins - everything you need is included in the kit except for  heat shrink tubing. Excellent picture results in both day and night. Both NTSC and Pal compliant with static guide lines. For approximately £24 you can't go wrong. I am so pleased with it that I even left a review on aliexpress along with a couple of pictures . 

Thanks for the recommendation - I've seen so many kits available so good to know this one works well. I've just placed an order myself, I'm not brave enough to tear apart my car myself (and don't have VCDS) so I'm paying a local auto electrician £60 to fit and code for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmyB said:

Thanks for the recommendation - I've seen so many kits available so good to know this one works well. I've just placed an order myself, I'm not brave enough to tear apart my car myself (and don't have VCDS) so I'm paying a local auto electrician £60 to fit and code for me.

You'll definitely be pleased with it. Stunning pictures in both day and night time. A good quality product and a perfect replacement trunk handle fit for estates or hatchbacks from 2016 onwards. Just to add though - your local auto electrician will still need VCDS or OBD11 or some other software to programme it :thumbup:

Edited by bigade1

On 19/06/2019 at 13:25, Stonker said:

Having had success with this reverse camera addition, I'm now finding it is working intermittently. I had an issue with it a few months back, the power jack plug was a poor connection as was the RCA connection. Iirc I cut them out and reconnected them with straight crimp connectors, but alas I keep getting no picture in reverse and a message saying that it is not available.

Now a job for the weekend to try and diagnose and fix, I'm hoping it's just a poor connection in the boot area 🤔

Update.

Now rectified, the power connection was not as good as it should have been. Now remade and working again. 

A great little extra, for not a lot 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigade1 said:

You'll definitely be pleased with it. Stunning pictures in both day and night time. A good quality product and a perfect replacement trunk handle fit for estates or hatchbacks from 2016 onwards. Just to add though - your local auto electrician will still need VCDS or OBD11 or some other software to programme it :thumbup:

sounds good to me - I checked that they had the right tools to program, and have made a note of which coding blocks to change in case he needs a point in the right direction!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zippair said:

This has a real 170degrees lens? The lens looks like flat, not like a fish eye optic. Please, someone, who uses this type, show me a picture about a radio screen, when the cam is working. Thanks!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832472217.html

If you read the 55 reviews on the item you have linked to you will see a couple of pictures that I posted showing the camera working on my car. You can tell it's not a fish eye optic though. From what i've seen If you look carefully at most of the fish eye type camera pictures you will notice that the four corners of the screen will be missing. It's a matter of your own preference.  My reviewer name on the listing is shown as

B***A  UK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/06/2019 at 15:05, bigade1 said:

I've got my camera fitted now, and the image is great. I've noticed that the distance lines on the screen don't move as you turn the steering wheel though as they do on my wife's Volvo - they always point straight up. Is this normal on the Skoda system or is there some additional coding that I need to do?

On 06/08/2019 at 13:48, TimmyB said:

I've got my camera fitted now, and the image is great. I've noticed that the distance lines on the screen don't move as you turn the steering wheel though as they do on my wife's Volvo - they always point straight up. Is this normal on the Skoda system or is there some additional coding that I need to do?

The lines come from the camera, there are other cameras on Aliexpress that have 'Dynamic' lines that move (add dynamic to the search ) but I'd imagine that it is from an internal gyroscope within the camera itself as there is no link to the steering system in these aftermarket add ons.

The official Skoda reversing camera has moving guide lines with the steering as well as parallel parking and trailer hitching modes. 

31 minutes ago, lway said:

The lines come from the camera, there are other cameras on Aliexpress that have 'Dynamic' lines that move (add dynamic to the search ) but I'd imagine that it is from an internal gyroscope within the camera itself as there is no link to the steering system in these aftermarket add ons.

The official Skoda reversing camera has moving guide lines with the steering as well as parallel parking and trailer hitching modes. 

Thanks, I had assumed the lines came from the head unit (as there is no way of sending the steering wheel to the camera) but that makes sense. I'll stick with the static lines for now.

3 hours ago, TimmyB said:

Thanks, I had assumed the lines came from the head unit (as there is no way of sending the steering wheel to the camera) but that makes sense. I'll stick with the static lines for now.

You should be able to cut a wire (or join a wire) at the camera end to remove the lines completely.

• 2 months later...
On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:26, lway said:

I'm looking at this one on Aliexpress that has the dynamic lines and shows that it connects to canbus. I sent a message to ask where it connected to canbus and was sent back a picture of the head unit highlighting the connector block diagram on top.

Any thoughts on it before I pull the trigger?

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/8F3xooJ4B

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2019 at 10:05, devopuk said:

I'm looking at this one on Aliexpress that has the dynamic lines and shows that it connects to canbus. I sent a message to ask where it connected to canbus and was sent back a picture of the head unit highlighting the connector block diagram on top.

Any thoughts on it before I pull the trigger?

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/8F3xooJ4B

Thanks

Pull the trigger!!!!

Works perfect!!!

I received the camera before a week and tried this morning to check if works.

I was surprised with the coding. When i was ready to do the coding with vcds, i saw that the coding was already done. I didn't do anything at all.

Now i have to install the camera and pass the cable for the connection.

I must mention that my Octavia is MY2018 facelift.

Edited by ksts
  • Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 19:58, ksts said:

Pull the trigger!!!!

Works perfect!!!

I received the camera before a week and tried this morning to check if works.

I was surprised with the coding. When i was ready to do the coding with vcds, i saw that the coding was already done. I didn't do anything at all.

Now i have to install the camera and pass the cable for the connection.

I must mention that my Octavia is MY2018 facelift.

So as mine is a MY19  Octavia estate tech, do you think i would get away without having to do any coding if i ordered that camera?

16 hours ago, ksts said:

Your platform is the same with nine.

So i believe that you can take the risk.

But, i suggest that you must have the vcds ready to make the coding check.

Ok thanks.  the penny is finally dropping with this camera stuff.

Checked size=ok

had head unit out=ok

Checked connection block =ok

Pane/cover off inside of estate boot lid= tomorrows job.

vcds if needed via local vw independent garage.

But i take it the camera you linked to seems to come with the extra plugs on it, do they just clip over the original one, or do i have to cut them off and join to pins on the original block?

A picture speaks a thousand words 😀  when/if you get chance you you please post a picture of the rear of your head unit connection.

Shame i won't get it until after xmas, as would have been nice to play with it whilst off work.

also as it's coming from America it will work ok on uk car?

Edited by skoda2019

You will need to code it, 5F Byte 19 Bit 4 enable reverse camera low and 76 Park Pilot Long Coding, Camera type enable rearview low. 

When I do cameras I power it from the rear wiper plug (positive to pin 4 and negative to pin 1) then the headunit connections are positive to pin 6 of the blue plug in the quadlock and negative to pin 12 of the blue plug in the quadlock. I usually order the cameras from China, doesn’t matter where they are from, as long as the video format is correct they will work.

9 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

You will need to code it, 5F Byte 19 Bit 4 enable reverse camera low and 76 Park Pilot Long Coding, Camera type enable rearview low. 

When I do cameras I power it from the rear wiper plug (positive to pin 4 and negative to pin 1) then the headunit connections are positive to pin 6 of the blue plug in the quadlock and negative to pin 12 of the blue plug in the quadlock. I usually order the cameras from China, doesn’t matter where they are from, as long as the video format is correct they will work.

Thank you sashagrace.

Been saying I'm going to do this for ages, but defo am this time. Thank you so much for the pin configuration,  have noticed it says postage from China on the order. Should have ordered it earlier.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

........and 76 Park Pilot Long Coding, Camera type enable rearview low. 

I didn't knew this one.

Where can i find this coding? Can you give us the path please?

17 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I don't have rear wiper so i had to use the connector that the camera has. Otherwise i was ready to follow your way.

19 hours ago, skoda2019 said:

But i take it the camera you linked to seems to come with the extra plugs on it, do they just clip over the original one, or do i have to cut them off and join to pins on the original block?

It's only the blue one that you have to unclip and clips the two wires to the original blue. No need to cut them.

A picture speaks a thousand words 😀  when/if you get chance you you please post a picture of the rear of your head unit connection.

Of course i will upload photos when i find time to take the unit out and take some photos.

also as it's coming from America it will work ok on uk car?

I think that it is universal. I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, ksts said:

I didn't knew this one.

Where can i find this coding? Can you give us the path please?

That is the whole instruction, if you have rear sensors you need to look up module 76 Park Pilot, enter long coding, and in OBDEleven text view there is a box for Camera Type, enable rearview low. If you have VCDS I’m not sure off the top of my head which Byte it is, but there are only 6 or so and I think it’s either Byte 3-4 as use the long coding helper to find the Camera Type box.