Reversing camera retrofit - connecting up

Don’t know of anyone personally, if you can come to Anglesey one weekend day I can fit it if needed. The fitting isn’t much more complex than an aftermarket one except you will have to follow the OEM wiring layout which adds a few hours to the fit time compared to my usual wiring route for aftermarket cameras. In a nutshell, the extra connections are spliced to CAN in the passenger footwell and I presume there is a power connection as an OEM system wouldn’t have a connection spliced to the rear wiper, though that may remain an option. Then it’s a case of adding the module the gateway via coding and coding the radio to match in a slightly different way compared to an aftermarket or lowline one.

• Like 1

ok... thanks for the offer.
this has already become too complicated and expensive. It was supposed to be a quick mod i would do myself. Times have changed!

Rang Skoda and a few local garages. nobody will do it. A couple of auto electrics places will, but they are too far away and it will cost ~£150 or more to even fit it. that's over 300 with the spend on the camera, so not bothering

So i'm selling the camera and will use my mirror for reversing :)

• Like 1

Anyone know if any of the things they sell work with 2014 sized to not require chopping in the boot area ?  Other than the number plate versions....tho they seem to have good feedback and have been thinking of getting round to for a while but hate ****ing around with electrics ( I wired my Fabia mk1 in keeping with warranty tho so shouldn't be impossible for me, I just don't enjoy it(.

This is a roundtuit for me I just havent bothered with but seeing as I also need Towbar fitting and don't seem to have towbar prep either...

On 19/02/2020 at 10:25, SashaGrace said:

I have a highline camera and loom from the same Hungarian seller and got a chance to connect it up and test today (actually pulling off all the trim and running cables will have to take place another day!) 

The wiring should be a fairly easy job for anyone that's done similar retrofits in the past: The loom I received has a piggyback connector fitted for the CAN high and low wires, a ring crimp for the earth and a VAG fusebox 12V connector so it all fits together very well, no cutting or joining cables required. Coding as noted in the file Sasha links to also works for the 3V0... camera I have, including the dynamic lines following steering and the various trailer/camera view modes.

I did pay for the parameter file to be loaded to the camera by the seller. 

rearview.thumb.jpg.f4c6d5dad529d09b2492095accdc7ebe.jpg

IMG_20200222_142939.thumb.jpg.3ada1c71b91fceb08fe791beee0d8eba.jpg800651833_piggybackCAN.thumb.jpg.159403f611ff6c69826b4abd4a82ff59.jpg

IMG_20200222_142933.jpg

IMG_20200222_133702.jpg

Edited by simion_levi

Hi everybody,

I just ordered a reverse camera(the one with a slightly bigger trunk switch 2015+) and one thing is bothering me.

Will I affect the KESSY system if I replace the original trunk switch?

I beleive there is a sensor nearby that reads when I’m close in order for it to unlock and I hope that sensor is not inside the OEM trunk switch..

1 hour ago, Sava159 said:

Hi everybody,

I just ordered a reverse camera(the one with a slightly bigger trunk switch 2015+) and one thing is bothering me.

Will I affect the KESSY system if I replace the original trunk switch?

I beleive there is a sensor nearby that reads when I’m close in order for it to unlock and I hope that sensor is not inside the OEM trunk switch..

It’s not. Did a car with KESSY and virtual pedal last week. No issues with either function.

3 hours ago, Sava159 said:

Thanks Sasha,

What about parking lines and curves?

Did somebody found a way to activate it via vcds/obd11?

Or is the only way special type camera with can readings?

It requires a camera with the firmware in it and right now the options are the OEM unit or there are cameras that can do this popping up on AliExpress for about £30.

On 27/02/2020 at 16:10, SashaGrace said:

It requires a camera with the firmware in it and right now the options are the OEM unit or there are cameras that can do this popping up on AliExpress for about £30.

hello emailed local dealership and said that can not be retrofitted with oem unit please advise on parts and nessacery coding needed i have to do it myself.

5 hours ago, albadouche said:

hello emailed local dealership and said that can not be retrofitted with oem unit please advise on parts and nessacery coding needed i have to do it myself.

There are a few handles that fit, if you want an OEM one but the main thing is the end of line calibration which will be specific to each car. There are links above for the OEM camera and the coding. Please post the details of you car and the exact radio plus boot handle size and I can link you to some aftermarket and OEM options.

Hi

I have a 2016 Superb (wagon/staton) is it he high or the low camera that should be used?

Another thing, does anybody have experience with cameras from AliExpress? I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32917491245.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6e933c00ZSbXGq&mp=1

Quality of the picture, any difference in the functionalities? Or only the original camera the way to go?

thanks in advance:)

On 29/02/2020 at 18:07, SashaGrace said:

There are a few handles that fit, if you want an OEM one but the main thing is the end of line calibration which will be specific to each car. There are links above for the OEM camera and the coding. Please post the details of you car and the exact radio plus boot handle size and I can link you to some aftermarket and OEM options.

Which ones you mentioned from Ali? (same applying for Superb 3?)

8 minutes ago, QubiDK said:

Which ones you mentioned from Ali? (same applying for Superb 3?)

Depends what you want. Do you want an OEM camera? Do you just want a camera? If you want to try an aftermarket one with the guidance lines I can link that but I’ve not tried one myself.

57 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Depends what you want. Do you want an OEM camera? Do you just want a camera? If you want to try an aftermarket one with the guidance lines I can link that but I’ve not tried one myself.

The best would be of course the OEM / Original part but, if the quality of the picture, all functionality with the dynamic lines/boxes working and there is a washer too (i have rear wipers, so why not), that i am okay with an aftermarket one.

I would be more happier of course if somebody had experience with those ones.

I found also this guy, i saw some other people also purchased from him...https://www.ebay.de/itm/Neu-Orig-VW-Seat-Skoda-Audi-5NA827566D-3V0827566-H-Ruckfahrkamera-SET-mit-Kabel/283123335599?hash=item41eb7741af:g:LvYAAOSw8GtZW~hc

The price is acceptable.

It’s all about cost. £35 for an aftermarket one with the guidelines and no washer or £160 odd for an OEM one with the guidelines and the washer. My new camera was supplied by that vendor and everything is here and working. It’s certainly nice to go OEM but there is a little more to do with highline cameras vs lowline or aftermarket ones and you will have to do it the ‘correct’ way when it comes to routing the cables rather than cheating and going up the headlining and saving hours from the fitting time.

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

you will have to do it the ‘correct’ way when it comes to routing the cables rather than cheating and going up the headlining and saving hours from the fitting time.

What is the OEM routing please Sasha? I can't visualise much difference between running the cables under the carpet by the door sills vs. above the headlining. Ultimately one end is connecting to the headunit/fusebox and the other to the boot handle, is there really much difference in the up vs. down route between the two?

As you can see above, I have the OEM highline camera and will need to fit the loom at some point. Any guidance to save me time when that moment comes will be gratefully received. I do additionally have a rear camera to link up to the front dashcam at the same time, so there is certainly some efficiency in doing everything over the headlining if possible - but at the same time I am a little concerned about running two new video feeds and power up close to radio aerial cables, potentially resulting in some interference.

46 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s all about cost. £35 for an aftermarket one with the guidelines and no washer or £160 odd for an OEM one with the guidelines and the washer. My new camera was supplied by that vendor and everything is here and working. It’s certainly nice to go OEM but there is a little more to do with highline cameras vs lowline or aftermarket ones and you will have to do it the ‘correct’ way when it comes to routing the cables rather than cheating and going up the headlining and saving hours from the fitting time.

I have also a dual dashcam project with hardwiring, so I have to the installation anyway. 

What is the Highline and lowline differences?

What would be the 'correct' price for the original ones?;)

1 hour ago, simion_levi said:

What is the OEM routing please Sasha? I can't visualise much difference between running the cables under the carpet by the door sills vs. above the headlining. Ultimately one end is connecting to the headunit/fusebox and the other to the boot handle, is there really much difference in the up vs. down route between the two?

As you can see above, I have the OEM highline camera and will need to fit the loom at some point. Any guidance to save me time when that moment comes will be gratefully received. I do additionally have a rear camera to link up to the front dashcam at the same time, so there is certainly some efficiency in doing everything over the headlining if possible - but at the same time I am a little concerned about running two new video feeds and power up close to radio aerial cables, potentially resulting in some interference.

Down the C post, down to the sills and to the BCM then up to the radio. If the cabling is tight then you may run into snags if trying to route under the headlining as there’s plenty of space but lots of plastic and trim to route around. A 5m long RCA has plenty of length but the OEM cable tolerance is a bit tighter. 

39 minutes ago, QubiDK said:

I have also a dual dashcam project with hardwiring, so I have to the installation anyway. 

What is the Highline and lowline differences?

What would be the 'correct' price for the original ones?;)

Highline has moving guidelines and a washer, lowline doesn’t. The price from the dealer, fitted is £500 or so for the highline camera. If you want a price for the part only, ring the dealer on contact TPS though I would suggest they won’t be able to give you anything as the OEM cameras require calibration which can’t be done with VCDS. These eBay sellers calibrate the cameras before reselling.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 04/03/2020 at 14:40, SashaGrace said:

Down the C post, down to the sills and to the BCM then up to the radio. If the cabling is tight then you may run into snags if trying to route under the headlining as there’s plenty of space but lots of plastic and trim to route around. A 5m long RCA has plenty of length but the OEM cable tolerance is a bit tighter. 

Highline has moving guidelines and a washer, lowline doesn’t. The price from the dealer, fitted is £500 or so for the highline camera. If you want a price for the part only, ring the dealer on contact TPS though I would suggest they won’t be able to give you anything as the OEM cameras require calibration which can’t be done with VCDS. These eBay sellers calibrate the cameras before reselling.

It is possible to load the parameter file with VagCanPro.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Spent most of this afternoon and some of this morning installing the camera, the lowline from Aliiexpress as on this thread, Got the handle in, wired up and cables up the tailgate and through the rubber sleeve (That was fun....), back into the body.

Spent the next 2 hours trying to find a way via the roof lining to the front, Tried all sorts of ways in all sorts of directions, I used a stiff wire as a rat tail but reckon I need the rat to go in front and find the route!

If you thread wire through the body where the the rubber sleeve is attached  the wire seems to follow a groove/tube and ends up by the rear door airbag curtain, which I'd rather not disturb.  I cannot seem to get a hold of it by pulling down the headlining either and even if I did there does not seem a straight run through as the wire rat tail is blocked a short way in. Had a look at the C pillar/sills route but not sure how to remove the C pillar cover, managed to ease it away by the door seal but the side by the has pulled away slightly but not released.

Frustrating.

Please excuse the dumb questions.

As above I have  threaded the Video connector through my tailgate, tight fit in the rubber sleeve. According to the wiring diagram that came with the camera and the diagram on the item (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964908529.html)

there is no blue connector as shown in the photos early on in this thread. So, do you just cut off the video plug and wire in to the blue plug as per the above, and if so where do you get the required 'pins' to use with the blue connector?

Or do you need this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-View-Camera-RVC-Audio-Stereo-Cable-Adapter-for-VW-Golf-VI-Jetta5-AC1331/362990388523?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dcb27b806a49840758e1b88db43bdabea%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D362990388523%26itm%3D362990388523%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded%2FGeneric&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad62867ba-cb91-11ea-be6d-74dbd1806a3a|parentrq%3A73176a091730aaa32b8c3188fff48fca|iid%3A1

and swap the pins over from the original blue connector?

Or just buy these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TE-CONNECTIVITY-AMP-963715-1-CONTACT-SOCKET-20-AWG-CRIMP-Price-for-10/171641862721?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Being the right connectors for the blue plug?

Edited:

I now realise that I should have saved myself the struggle and just cut the Yellow Video lead off!

Edited by ajw1100