Infotainment retrofitting

The screen in the centre console is just that, a screen.

The main unit is in the glove box, if you're going to change to a Columbus then there's no point paying to have Smartlink added to the Amundsen because you'll be swapping that out!

Edited by PetrolDave

Yes the screen can be swapped with affect on mib2. There is a thing I think that prevents the latest Columbus screen working on mib2 as it requires 2.5. otherwise the slightly older Columbus screen will work fine.

On 12/07/2019 at 15:18, haris said:

are these infortainment able to work , if the car has the the cheap stock radio without lcd? ( i think called blues radio)

is it plug n play or i need to do strange things?

also , my car is not the elegance edition, but ambition which means it has not got bluetooth.

with these screens will i have also bluetooth or i need extra things ?

pic_5E0057187.jpg

Hi, did u manage to find something out? I'm on the same boat. I can get hold of a swing 6.5 mib2, but not sure if it will be plug & play. 

On 12/10/2022 at 18:16, ormand1976 said:

Hi 

Does anyone know the connection points for the sub on the Columbus Mib 2.5 ?

Thanks in advance 

If you have a separate subwoofer it’s done through the canton amplifier which is under the left hand seat.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

So my system is the:
Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

Can I rework my system to be a MIB2.5?

The endgoal would be a 9.2" screen upgrade, can anyone point me what would be the correct part number for my car?

466451377_Skoda(10).thumb.jpg.3995ac91ce82c1f37ca7b9319b7ecb0f.jpg386711220_Skoda(11).thumb.jpg.2cbda5b89b37d17f19a13f081eef4d20.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 20/09/2020 at 09:25, Jbeat said:

Hello,

On my 2015 Octavia I have Columbus MIB1 with Canton, so please tell me if is possible to upgrade to MIB2 without changing display unit and what parts number do i need to do that (for central unit,  canton amp and USB port).

Best regards

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-25 at 18.30.41.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-25 at 18.30.49.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2019 at 22:03, pab567 said:

Due to high number of requests let me make some short summary of units that can be installed in Octavia III cars. I have focused only on MIB2 / MIB2.5 units, to indicate differences between them.

1. Amundsen MY16 unit 5Q0035864A (without DAB) or 5Q0035874A (with DAB)

2. Amundsen MY17 unit 5Q0035864B (without DAB) or 5Q0035874B (with DAB) 

3. Amundsen MY18 unit 5Q0035864C (without DAB) or 5Q0035874C (with DAB)

4. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035020x (with DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

5. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035021x (with DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

6. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

7. Columbus MIB2 unit 3V0035044x (without DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

8. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035020x (with DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

9. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035021x (with DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

10. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035043x (without DAB, with regular Bluetooth, without LTE Modem)

11. Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035044x (without DAB, with premium Bluetooth, with LTE Modem)

All MIB2 units (as well as Columbus MIB1 which is not listed here) work with 800x480 pixels screens, either 6.5 or 8 inch.

Amundsen MY16 has old style (rotating, monochrome) menu, with only 1 skin having 5 memory buttons in radio and phone menu. They  don't support for APP key in 8 inch FL screens.

Amundsen MY17 has old style (rotating, monochrome) menu, with 2 skina having 5 or 6 memory buttons in radio and phone menu. It may also support Media Command (depneding on FEC.SWaP codes installed).

Amundsen MY18 has both old style (rotating, monochrome) and new style (pictures, color) menu, with 2 skina having 5 or 6 memory buttons in radio and phone menu. It may also support Media Command (depneding on FEC.SWaP codes installed).

Columbus units have built-in DVD drive and HDD for maps and audio / video files.

Only Coilumbus units can play video files.

Every MIB2 Columbus unit can be reworked into MIB2.5 unit if required. MIB2.5 Columbus requires new 9.2" screen 5E0919606D.

Every Columbus unit can drive directly subwoofer and central speaker (although this setup is not officially supported by Skoda).

"x" at the end of Columbus units model number is letter A/B/C/D. Can also be missing. It makes no difference, just indicates original SW release family.

Every of listed above units can be reworked into Plug&Play version (no need to visit SKODA dealer).

Hallo pab567 

I have the headunit listed under nr 4 (3v0035020D) and can get a hold on a 9.2 inch screen. So if i understand correctly. I have a MIB2 that needs to be reworked into MIB2.5 unit? Do you know where i can get this fixed? And then it will be plugg & play? Or does it need more rework to get it fixed? Greeting Erikjan

I have a mib2 with the glass touch screen with the 2 dials.is there a option for wireless carplay without using a dongle of one of them adaptor units that sit behind the dash?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've just replaced the screen on my 2016 car fitted with, what I understand from this thread, is a Columbus.  It looks like the SW hasn't been updated since the car was new.  Could you tell me what my options are to upgrade, please?

I'm not really fussed about any extra functionality as I mostly use CarPlay, but I may as well get it up to date if something is available.

Thank-you.

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2376.jpeg

• 2 months later...

hi, Pab567

I need advice on exchanging 5Q0035864C with 5Q0035874C in my Octavia 5E5 2019. I would need a DAB. Where to get the cheapest?

Is it worth switching to Columbus if I'm already changing?  I would like LTE as well...   , but is probably pretty expensive.

VIN: TMBJS9NE9K0019589

Thank you in advance, Mitcho

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade my Columbus MIB1 with Canton to a MIB2 unit however I have read conflicting threads about whether an amp upgrade is also required. 

I have found the below article on another website that suggest the MIB1 Amp can be coded to work with a MIB2 Head Unit. While I appreciate this is for a Golf I am under the impression that the amps are identical from a hardware perspective but may contain different firmware/coding.

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1) | Page 40 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

I have VCDS and I have tried the suggestion in the thread however it has not worked, this maybe due to the different Skoda/VW coding requirements. 

Does anyone know if this is actually possible or am I wasting my time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

JimmyM

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have on my o3 2016 , got my  Amundsen 5Q0034864A with 0253 sw  and i would like update/change  my screen with bigger one at 8 inch.

I have serached here but i not sure what what part nr i should be looking for . can you please be so kind and tell me what part number screen unuit i should be looking to buy ?

I allready have activated smartlink, do i loose it if i change the screen?

Can i aslo update /convert to 0480 i hearred, it's possible?

Thanks !

On 04/02/2024 at 13:56, MihaiRo2022 said:

Hello,

I have on my o3 2016 , got my  Amundsen 5Q0034864A with 0253 sw  and i would like update/change  my screen with bigger one at 8 inch.

I have serached here but i not sure what what part nr i should be looking for . can you please be so kind and tell me what part number screen unuit i should be looking to buy ?

I allready have activated smartlink, do i loose it if i change the screen?

Can i aslo update /convert to 0480 i hearred, it's possible?

Thanks !

Contact @pab567 we will fix you up good

Edited by nickytheshaft
  • Like 1