1.4 or 1.5 ?

13 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Wait until your clutch packs go bang and repeat the above statement.:sweat:

I will never go back to manual.

But will never buy another DQ200 either.

There are plenty of options.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Surely finally VW have the DSG for the MY2020 1.4TSI Hybrids fully sorted.

We'll know in 4 to 5 years time.

Can't understand why car manufacturers don't do it the locomotive way.

Engine drives big generator nothing else, charges battery and/or provides leccy for electric traction motors, 1, 2 or 4 of them. No gearbox required. 

Maybe I'm just being stupid. 👺

2 minutes ago, xman said:

Engine drives big generator nothing else, charges battery and/or provides leccy for electric traction motors, 1, 2 or 4 of them. No gearbox required. 

Sounds like you want my job now.;)

• Haha 1

The A3 & Golf Hybrid they had to stop building and selling because of 'Implausible / Irregular' C02 test results drove very nice and the gearbox was a treat.

They must have managed to get the test results required for RDE2......   Have they?

Edited by Roottootemoot

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Just buy a Vauxhall Ampera.

In reality it's not an efficient or environmentally friendly way to do things for car use.

2 hours ago, xman said:

It will be increasingly difficult to get a manual car, thanks to WLTP forcing manufacturers to heavily rationalize power trains, options etc. Hybrids/EV will be exclusively Auto only. 

Add to that the millennial generation that want to text while they drink their latté while they watch the latest love island clip. No hands left for gear changes.

VW will like it because their cars will be scrapped much earlier, dealers will love the multi thousand pound repairs for the few that decide to bite the bullet.

Manuals on ALL big sellers of which the vast majority are manual will be about for a long time yet and will last the life of combustion engines. You find on popular cars the manuals always get released first as they far outsell autos. It seems dct will die as they refine slush boxes to be as fast and less inefficient. The new focus auto is now way behind the manual on emissions. Back to the bad old days now wltp had sussed them out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teescom09 said:

Back to the bad old days now wltp had sussed them out. 

Need to look further than Ford.

Take the typical rep mobile the new 3 Series.  The manual has been dropped from all petrols and is only available on the 2wd 318d and 320d.

The  Auto has lower emissions 118g/km manual, vs 113g/km auto for the 320d

The Auto is  1% lower on BIK tax. 31% vs 30%

The Auto is three tenths faster 0-62mph.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Seems the topic has gone from 1.4 or 1.5 to manual or auto, Lol.....................Inevitable shift of some sort (pun not intended) (shift / gearbox, get it?).

I will not go back to a manual though not really a choice but a necessity for me, but I do find driving mine much easier with the auto

Forget 1.4 / 1.5. With the weather we're having lately think I'm gonna get myself one of these little beauties, Lol...

image.jpeg.92b015d1c637c596968e05535bb9619e.jpeg

• Haha 1

Having owned my first automatic car for 2 weeks, I don’t ever want to own a manual again*! Why did I not buy one sooner? So much more comfortable and easy to drive and makes trudging through traffic far less gruelling (coupled with TJA and auto hold). Bliss!

* unless I’m owning it for driving fun - I have a vague idea I’d like a Caterham in a few years, but that’s very different from a daily driver. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maffyou said:

Having owned my first automatic car for 2 weeks, I don’t ever want to own a manual again*! Why did I not buy one sooner? So much more comfortable and easy to drive and makes trudging through traffic far less gruelling (coupled with TJA and auto hold). Bliss!

* unless I’m owning it for driving fun - I have a vague idea I’d like a Caterham in a few years, but that’s very different from a daily driver. 

Automatic Caterhams, good luck with that search.:thinking:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, maffyou said:

i prefer a manual over auto, the auto doesn't know about junctions and traffic. it goes to low in rpm or to high. On the other hand if i'm in busy traffic i do prefer the auto.

42 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Automatic Caterhams, good luck with that search.:thinking:

Did you miss the “unless”?

51 minutes ago, maffyou said:

I don’t ever want to own a manual again*!

* unless I’m owning it for driving fun

42 minutes ago, cr_2dman said:

i prefer a manual over auto, the auto doesn't know about junctions and traffic. it goes to low in rpm or to high. On the other hand if i'm in busy traffic i do prefer the auto.

Each to their own, I guess. I’ve found it nothing but a pleasure to drive over the 500 miles it’s done so far...

... to make a vague attempt to get it back OT, it’s in a 1.5 too (but the DQ380 I believe). 

6 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Manuals on ALL big sellers of which the vast majority are manual will be about for a long time yet and will last the life of combustion engines. You find on popular cars the manuals always get released first as they far outsell autos. It seems dct will die as they refine slush boxes to be as fast and less inefficient. The new focus auto is now way behind the manual on emissions. Back to the bad old days now wltp had sussed them out. 

Europe maybe , but SE Asia it's near enough 100% automatics

3 hours ago, maffyou said:

Welcome to the club😉

• Thanks 1

I much prefer manuals but here in Australia more than 80% of cars sold are autos and the VW groups are well on the way to removing the manual option entirely from their range.

Ironic I read the other day that VW have just developed a new much more efficient manual transmission for more powerful engines.

Be nice if they introduced similar efficiency tech for the small engines.

21 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

I much prefer manuals but here in Australia more than 80% of cars sold are autos and the VW groups are well on the way to removing the manual option entirely from their range.

Ironic I read the other day that VW have just developed a new much more efficient manual transmission for more powerful engines.

Be nice if they introduced similar efficiency tech for the small engines.

Variable pulley with steel belt type like Subaru are using. Old idea but know some people who got one.....  Really pleased 

4 hours ago, benterrier said:

Variable pulley with steel belt type like Subaru are using. Old idea but know some people who got one.....  Really pleased 

There is no doubt that modern automatic transmissions are far more efficient than the old go to 4-speed torque converter but what I was trying to convey is that VW was able to develop a new manual box which was claimed to be at  least 10% more efficient for more powerful engines and I would like that tech in a new manual box for less powerful engines.

I'd contend that more manual boxes are sold in smaller engines (cheaper vehicles) than at higher price points.

The last time I saw a Caterham it was being pulled out of a hedge in Monmouthshire. I didn't stop to find out what engine it had or whether it was a manual or automatic transmission.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TDIum said:

The last time I saw a Caterham it was being pulled out of a hedge in Monmouthshire. I didn't stop to find out what engine it had or whether it was a manual or automatic transmission.

Unusual place to park?:tongueout:

• Like 1