1.4 or 1.5 ?

I can't say that I've noticed any real change in engine noise when my car switches to running on two cylinders, it actually runs fairly quietly to be honest. Interesting the comments further up about keeping the revs a bit higher to get slightly better fuel economy, not sure if that will work or not but worth experimenting a bit at any rate. With my current commute to work, I usually drive out one route and come back another way because of higher traffic in the late afternoon on the first route but depending upon how busy it is my car can read from mid 50's up to maybe 58mpg in the morning (route downhill and then fairly level on a country road with a lot of twists and turns. Going home is always uphill, so best I can get then is around 44mpg, which tends to average to in and around 50mpg overall.

If people want petrol engines with Skoda cars, you really don't have very many options if you ignore the 1.5 engine. The 2 litre engine is more about performance than economy and the 1 litre three cylinder engine is an out and out economy engine, which in most situations will probably be around about the same fuel economy as the 1.5 (maybe a bit better with no cylinder deactivation to think about) but with a bit less power. By all accounts the 1 litre engine drives very well and I did wonder about choosing that instead of the 1.5 litre version, it would probably be more than good enough for most drivers. Those who like sportier engines would take the 2 litre version in petrol or diesel anyway.

4 hours ago, TDIum said:

The petrol hybrids are coming 

From what I have read the VW hybrids will have the first iteration of the Bosch 48 volts system and the consumption improvement claims are less than impressive.

Bosch have already recognised their initial systems limitations and have already released details of an updated version with relocated motor, giving far better energy harvesting, and water cooling of the electric motor for more sustained use.

That is all could remember but could include a bigger battery and sounds like the one to wait for.

FYI according to the various configurators, the 1.5tsi engine seems to have been deleted from a number of VAG models with presumably immediate effect. Reason is unknown.

Among the cars no longer available with 1.5tsi afaik

Skoda Superb

Skoda Kodiaq

Seat Tarraco

Seat Leon

VW Passat

Audi A3

There may be more.

Draw your own conclusions

Edited by xman

19 hours ago, Scot5 said:

I have 150bhp 1.4tsi in my Skoda and the 150bhp 1.4tsi in my SEAT.  Is there something I should be worried about. Is my SEAT about to suddenly self-combust?  For feck sake, if I knew there were going to be so many things to worry about I'd bought a single gear bicycle instead.

According to your profile you have an Octavia, these don't have ACT in 1.4tsi guise. Don't know about your SEAT.

8 hours ago, cr_2dman said:

so it's not the same engine, the 1.4 and 1.5 have different cycle and are heavier, so the noises the engines make are different. The 1.4 tsi you have is an ACT ?

They both run a conventional OTTO cycle in 150ps versions. Weights are very similar, the 1.5 maybe a few kg lighter.

In my limited experience, the 1.4tsi ACT in a Superb III is an impressive engine capable of impressive economy and performance. I have driven a non ACT version in an Octavia III while abroad, and was also good but IIRC not quite as economical.

On the other hand ACT adds a layer of complexity, whether it lasts the test of time, reliability wise, remains to be seen.

I personally would not touch the 1.5tsi and today's revelations that its being withdrawn from several models across VAG UK confirms something is wrong with it or its about to replaced with a different/revised unit.

Edited by xman

2 hours ago, xman said:

They both run a conventional OTTO cycle in 150ps versions. Weights are very similar, the 1.5 maybe a few kg lighter.

i'm not familiar with all technical terms. i read about the 1.5TSI "1.5tsi: Millerization and the VTG turbo. The Miller combustion cycle uses a higher expansion ratio than compression ratio " (source: https://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160428-tsievo.html)

I also found the youtube video explaining the different cycles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUfP-Wh3M2s

Do the Millerization/OTTO work at different components?

VAG version of Miller cycle operation is only used on the 130ps version of the 1.5tsi and involves switching cam profiles on all four cylinders to modify valve lift and overlap and force ¿asymmetric compression/expansion ratios which theoretically increases efficiency. It switches between Otto and Miller timing depending on engine speed/load. The 130ps engine also has a Variable Geometry Turbo, giving high turbo boost at low engine speeds to support Miller cycle operation.

The 150ps version of the 1.5tsi uses conventional OTTO cycle all the time but can close down two cylinders at low engine loads on the 150ps version, to lower pumping losses, increasing efficiency, nothing to do with Miller however. It has a conventional single scroll wastegate turbo, wastegate position controlled electrically.

The new 2.0tsi gen3b engine, uses switched cam profiles, VAG trademarked (patented?) this technique as Budack cycle, presumably to protect it from being copied, its a variation of Miller cycle.

On 17/07/2019 at 14:38, logiclee said:

Not according to the people on this board who say their Mk2's were built better, were more refined and drove better than their Mk3's.  Myself included.

Its all opinions but mine is the mk 3 is vastly superior to the mk 2 in every respect. Especially the engine. Car law by James May: newer is always better 👍

maybe not 100% accurate bit it is with Skodas 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

Its all opinions but mine is the mk 3 is vastly superior to the mk 2 in every respect. Especially the engine. Car law by James May: newer is always better 👍

maybe not 100% accurate bit it is with Skodas 

Agree having owned Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 Superbs the latest car was much much better than the two earlier models.:thumbup:

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 09:18, AllanDJ said:

I can't say that I've noticed any real change in engine noise when my car switches to running on two cylinders, it actually runs fairly quietly to be honest. Interesting the comments further up about keeping the revs a bit higher to get slightly better fuel economy, not sure if that will work or not but worth experimenting a bit at any rate. With my current commute to work, I usually drive out one route and come back another way because of higher traffic in the late afternoon on the first route but depending upon how busy it is my car can read from mid 50's up to maybe 58mpg in the morning (route downhill and then fairly level on a country road with a lot of twists and turns. Going home is always uphill, so best I can get then is around 44mpg, which tends to average to in and around 50mpg overall.

If people want petrol engines with Skoda cars, you really don't have very many options if you ignore the 1.5 engine. The 2 litre engine is more about performance than economy and the 1 litre three cylinder engine is an out and out economy engine, which in most situations will probably be around about the same fuel economy as the 1.5 (maybe a bit better with no cylinder deactivation to think about) but with a bit less power. By all accounts the 1 litre engine drives very well and I did wonder about choosing that instead of the 1.5 litre version, it would probably be more than good enough for most drivers. Those who like sportier engines would take the 2 litre version in petrol or diesel anyway.

I wouldn’t say the 2.0 is all about performance not economy, If you drive it with the flow of traffic 40+ is the norm with a proper one ie manual. Mine did 45 mpg on a recent 600 mile trip. Has averaged 38 in 48000 miles. I had a courtesy diesel vrs and it was virtually no better, maybe 2mpg and 10p litre more at the time, and it was horrible. Rattly rough slow thing. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

I wouldn’t say the 2.0 is all about performance not economy, If you drive it with the flow of traffic 40+ is the norm with a proper one ie manual. Mine did 45 mpg on a recent 600 mile trip. Has averaged 38 in 48000 miles. I had a courtesy diesel vrs and it was virtually no better, maybe 2mpg and 10p litre more at the time, and it was horrible. Rattly rough slow thing. 

May sound like your echo but only yesterday driving home in 25C temps and after just 9 miles of my 26 mile mainly motorway commute maxidot was showing 45mpg. Ended up averaging 40mpg after traffic lights and 14 roundabouts.:thumbup:

Well, having just taken delivery of a VAG (not Skoda) car with the 1.5 TSI engine and DSG, I think it’s a bloody brilliant combo and can’t recommend it enough!

The DSG seems really smooth in all situations, from manoeuvres on the driveway all the way up to motorway cruising, and everything in between. The switch from 2 to 4 cylinders is virtually imperceptible - if the display didn’t show me I’d not have realised. I haven’t noticed any hesitation when trying to pull away at junctions or roundabouts, either, which is another apparently common gripe. 

The car has done under 300 miles so far, so it’s still bedding in, but I did manage the figures in the picture without any effort at trying to be economical and using ACC for 95% of the journey. And that’s on a car which weighs something like 300kg+ more than an Octavia.  

958EA5B6-5AFB-44AE-A071-453C88EC80D0.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maffyou said:

Well, having just taken delivery of a VAG (not Skoda) car with the 1.5 TSI engine and DSG, I think it’s a bloody brilliant combo and can’t recommend it enough!

Maybe because Audi get to choose the good bits out of the parts bin first, then VW, next SEAT. Skoda get the scraps left over.

😁

• Haha 1

On 19/07/2019 at 09:18, AllanDJ said:

All good about what I would expect, be even better if it were manual. Average 46 suggests some steady open road cruising though. Be nearer 40 mpg with 35mph averages that most have to put up with. 

14 minutes ago, maffyou said:

The DSG seems really smooth in all situations, from manoeuvres on the driveway all the way up to motorway cruising, and everything in between. The switch from 2 to 4 cylinders is virtually imperceptible - if the display didn’t show me I’d not have realised. I haven’t noticed any hesitation when trying to pull away at junctions or roundabouts, either, which is another apparently common gripe. 

The car has done under 300 miles so far, so it’s still bedding in, but I did manage the figures in the picture without any effort at trying to be economical and using ACC for 95% of the journey. And that’s on a car which weighs something like 300kg+ more than an Octavia.  

958EA5B6-5AFB-44AE-A071-453C88EC80D0.jpeg

All good about what I would expect, be even better if it were manual. Average 46 suggests some steady open road cruising though. Be nearer 40 mpg with 35mph averages that most have to put up with. 

20 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

Sure, this was m40 and m25 (Coventry to Gatwick) so there was a fair amount of stop-start traffic on the second of those. Might be slightly better economy in a manual but it would’ve been a much less comfortable drive too. 

On 19/07/2019 at 16:20, xman said:

According to your profile you have an Octavia, these don't have ACT in 1.4tsi guise. Don't know about your SEAT.

ACT in the SEAT, no ACT in the Skoda. One car is SUV the other an estate so hard to say for sure but ACT appears to add nothing to economy. Emissions perhaps - dunno.

But the question still stands.  cr_2dman said he wouldn't go ACT again, but gives no reason. Why not go ACT?

ACT has been available for many years and I've certainly have never read of any issues with it.

Edited by Guest

I'll chip in on this thread. I have the 1.4TSi 140 (pre cylinder deactivation) and it's a DSG. Lovely smooth car that pulls everywhere in the rev range. Very economical too. The DSG gearbox is great and normally damn near perfect. But here at the bad bits, slow speed manoeuvres e.g. tight parking spaces are jerky and awkward but I can live with it. Engine's great but mine whistles when cold (turbo I presume) and sounds rough when cold (almost like a grinding noise) though both disappear when the engine's warm. The engine takes an age to warm up the oil to operating temperature i.e. 74C, in the winter it can take a very long time but the heater works quickly thanks to exhaust manifold being embedded in the cylinder head.

IMHO the DSG gearbox is nothing to be scared of but be aware of its limitations and you have to learn/adapt your driving to get smooth driving. Crawling along in walking pace traffic is a potential way to fry the clutches if you let the drag alot, a traditional torque convertor auto gearbox has none of those worries and is smoother at very slow speed.

Well I was reading an old Auto Express earlier today (dated 20/02/2019) and a VW T-Roc owner with the 1.5TSi manual was complaining about the marsupial nature of his vehicle and VW Dealers lack of interest in fixing it. VW did admit to the magazine there were a few vehicles that had an issue with a cold start in first gear and were working on a solution. That was 5 months ago.:rofl:

12 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well I was reading an old Auto Express earlier today (dated 20/02/2019) and a VW T-Roc owner with the 1.5TSi manual was complaining about the marsupial nature of his vehicle and VW Dealers lack of interest in fixing it. VW did admit to the magazine there were a few vehicles that had an issue with a cold start in first gear and were working on a solution. That was 5 months ago.:rofl:

They are full of fob you off  bull mate. Its  all to do with emissions and approvals. Once achieved they cannot go changing anything without applying for approval again, especially VAG!!  They will have to change the ecu calibration to remove the pull away over revving which they could sort in 2 mins if they weren’t **** scared of infringing the rules😂

And looks like the wltp standards are already being gashed by diesels. Petrols are pretty much spot on but diesels are still ending up over 10% worse than claimed. A Audi or might have been merc exec blames the test. I blame the likes of him. Sorry drifted a bit

Edited by teescom09

I think the problem is its a new test and no one knew the solutions before hand or had yet to find a way to cheat.  but they will and scores will average out :)