1.0 TSI MPG

We've a 2019 since new in January with the 115bhp 1.0 engine. My wife drives it mainly with a mix of city and motorway driving over a 20km commute. At best the car is doing 40mpg (when I take it and baby it) but mostly its around 35mpg. According to honestjohn and the dealer we should be getting more than that. Just curious what others are getting? 

Its going in for a 1st service at the end of the week and have mentioned it to the garage again. 

long term average is just over 5l/100. I can easily hit 4,5 at 80km/h. 

5l/100 gives 56mpg. If you are in town and it's not warm, it will easily go to 6,5 -7. If it's still under 10000km, your numbers will still be poor. Mine got better between five and ten thousand and have stayed stable since 20000km.

7l/100 is 40 mpg. I find that believable if it's hard acceleration, not prewarmed and still relatively new. It's also got a GPF, right? That will make a negative difference against my numbers.

- Bret

5 minutes ago, NicRobinson said:

1.0 estate here on a manual box, 2919 car.  Bettering 50mpg on nearly all journeys.

I think you need to get it checked.

Cheers,

Nic.

Wow that must run on compressed air or someting similar as 2919 models will be very advance as you are 900 years in the future. Your other car must be a DeLorean.:)

Can't comment on this engine in the Octavia but I did have a Fabia with this engine for a few days last week when I my car was at the garage. The Fabia version is lower powered than the one used in the Octavia but I was surprised at the average fuel consumption shown, which was actually much the same as my much larger 1.5 engined Octavia Estate, mid 40's and even though it was a small car, it felt completely gutless if asked to go up any steep hills but absolutely fine on the motorway. 

1 hour ago, AllanDJ said:

Can't comment on this engine in the Octavia but I did have a Fabia with this engine for a few days last week when I my car was at the garage. The Fabia version is lower powered than the one used in the Octavia but I was surprised at the average fuel consumption shown, which was actually much the same as my much larger 1.5 engined Octavia Estate, mid 40's and even though it was a small car, it felt completely gutless if asked to go up any steep hills but absolutely fine on the motorway. 

I too had a loan manual 1.0tsi Fabia earlier this year but conversely  I was impressed with performance and economy. A long run with passengers  got about 58 mpg which was about 5 mpg better than I would have expected to get in my 1.4tsi Octavia.

Comparisons are difficult with everyone's real 'real world' and driving style being different but in my opinion the OP is justified  in claiming he has significant consumption issues.

Unless an obvious fault is detected by the dealers I would not be surprised if they trot out the "nothing wrong'/'it will improve when it runs in'/' it's your driving style' type answer.

Hopefully they will be more helpful especially if it is suggested that the consumption is so far below expectation to consider rejection.

A friend actually rejected a brand new BMW for poor consumption a few years back, but he was very persistent..

Edited by Gerrycan

4 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I too had a loan manual 1.0tsi Fabia earlier this year but conversely  I was impressed with performance and economy. A long run with passengers  got about 58 mpg which was about 5 mpg better than I would have expected to get in my 1.4tsi Octavia.

Comparisons are difficult with everyone's real 'real world' and driving style being different but in my opinion the OP is justified  in claiming he has significant consumption issues.

Unless an obvious fault is detected by the dealers I would not be surprised if they trot out the "nothing wrong'/'it will improve when it runs in'/' it's your driving style' type answer.

Hopefully they will be more helpful especially if it is suggested that the consumption is so far below expectation to consider rejection.

A friend actually rejected a brand new BMW for poor consumption a few years back, but he was very persistent..

Might struggle if you bought an M2, M3, M4 , M5, M6 or M8 and complained about fuel consumption.:giggle:

I think the point is all of these small capacity turbo charged engines that are producing big numbers are very sensitive to driving style and conditions. Things like an old corsa 1.2 8v only used to chuck out a whopping 45 hp. At that time you used to have to look to a 1.6 or even 2.0 engine in some cases for 100+hp. Yes tech has been forced to moved on a very long way by legislation but if you are let's just say a spirited driver the fuel economy does suffer more over a larger capacity engine in the same conditions. That's not to say small turbo engines can't achieve their economy and performance numbers, they just seem to suffer more for it when being leaned on. 

Edited by Gmac983
Removed performance vs engine size vs economy comments to avoid the usual riot that discussions like that bring.

As said small turbo engines are very sensitive to driving style and conditions - an Audi S3 I owned (1.8T 225PS) would return around 20mpg on my commute to work, but when I changed to an Audi S4 (4.2L V8 normally aspirated) on the same commute I would easily get 28mpg).

• Like 1

Think technology has moved on quite a bit. For example my stage 1 Leon Cupra 230bhp (1.8T) couldn't manage more than 360 miles on 55 litres of Shell V-Power yet my current Octavia Vrs245 stage 2 336bhp (2.0T) can manage 526 miles from just 50 litres on the same fuel, which is a massive improvement.:thumbup:

• Like 1

I have the 115 1.0tsi in my Arona and mph varies depending on traffic (and others such as air temperature)

I have a 13 mile commute, and have got 53mpg when traffic is light, and traffic lights green

However on a couple of occasions when there have been accidents / heavy delays only got 32 mpg

Typically my morning journey is 41 (school term) - 46 mpg (school holidays)

and evening when traffic is less is 45 - 48 mpg

What I am saying is variations of 15-40 % on same route at same time of day are possible depending on traffic

(nearly always leave it in D, rarely use sport, eco, or manual modes)

• Thanks 2

Even a very wet road increases consumption. Recently I have been getting 41mpg on a dry road after 12 miles yet at the same point in the current wet conditions lucky to see more than 38mpg due to extra drag cutting through the wet road surface and standing puddles. (7-10% increase in wet weather).:thumbdown:

16 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

As said small turbo engines are very sensitive to driving style and conditions - an Audi S3 I owned (1.8T 225PS) would return around 20mpg on my commute to work, but when I changed to an Audi S4 (4.2L V8 normally aspirated) on the same commute I would easily get 28mpg).

Bigger is not always better though.

Driving a vehicle in 60 kph limited zones I could not better 9L/100 at the speed limit and the long term average showed 24L/100. The vehicle being a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk with supercharged 6.2L V8 (circa 550kw/800nm outputs?). Official combined is about 16L/100 although some trackwork will return about 40L/100. Nice to drive but not on my shopping list :)

Who said diesels are dead!!  Both my kids have 1.2l turbo VAG petrol and they get from 35mpg-50mpg.  Small engines in small cars seem to work at times. Put them in a big car.... My 2.0l diesel Octavia - 50mpg or more.  But I drive enough miles to make it worth it.  The problem with small engines is that you drive them harder to achieve the same speeds and we don't always accept we should drive them slower to get the economy out of them. Any engine driven hard will not do well.

Our 1.0TSi Octavia Estate is well run in now (18,000 miles) and we're averaging 45mpg, though the indicated mpg is generally around 5% higher than actual. Best we've got from a tank is 548 miles @ 53.9mpg on a motorway / A-road run up to, around and back from Norfolk. It's significantly better than the 1.4 Roomster we used to have (which averaged 34.7mpg), but with the benefit of 40 more horsepower

On 21/10/2019 at 07:56, Gmac983 said:

I think the point is all of these small capacity turbo charged engines that are producing big numbers are very sensitive to driving style and conditions.

^^^This ^^^

Seen it also in the 1L 3 cyl Ford. Drove like a N/A 2.0 or 2.5 of yesteryear but consumption dropped below 30 if you drove it anything above nannying.

Doing the same run for years in an E36 M3 it would return 29-30 without too much effort. It backed up what I laughed at when Clarkson followed a Stig-driven Prius round the track in an M3 and used less fuel.

DSG boxes are also hugely sensitive to throttle movement (Driving Style), slightly aggressive with the throttle and it is up and down the gears and using fuel as it goes.

We record the consumption of our vehicles and all I can say is bad consumption follows the driver not the vehicle. Poor consumption is nearly always completely rectified by changing the driver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the 1.0 is so quiet I sometimes find myself in 4 when I should be in 6... early changes help, and yes, the weather really does affect it. I'm up 0,5l with just winter tyres changed. Wet will add another 0.7l or so. Speeds also affect significantly.

The Ecoboost Fi used to return around 8l/100 around town, even more than the Octy...now the Swift gets revved everywhere, we're not much slower, have AWD and we're still hitting 6,5l/100.

- Bret

I have only a limited experience of driving a Focus estate 1.0L tsi triple about 5 years back in the UK and the car was obviously heavier than my 1.4tsi Octavia estate but it moved along ok. What disappointed me was at no time could I get the displayed consumption better than 45 mpg even in circumstances where I would expect around 55/60 in mine (Extensive roadwork 50mph limit zones on A road out to Chelmsford Essex). I did not refill the car so no idea of real consumption.

The available torque really fell off below at low revs which does not happen on the Octavia and also not experienced on a loan Fabia1.0tsi, remembering the Fabia is possibly 300kg lighter than the Focus which does make a big difference.

I don't think my UK sister's Fiesta gets good consumption either but she is a total hoon. Passenger side has an indent in the floor where a brake pedal would be from terrified passengers.

I get about 30% better consumption than the wife does while urban driving in the Octavia (I occasionally sacrifice a minute or so of travel time doing that) but there is little difference between us on open roads.

I changed from a Mk3 1.2 TSI Fabia DSG to a 1.0 litre Octavia in August.  I checked my actual consumption brim to brim earlier today.  It was 41.5mpg almost exclusively around town.  I was getting the same from my Fabia so am OK with this, given the Octavia is a much larger car.

• Like 1

After a just over a week in the Octavia estate 1.0tsi the lowest mpg I've had is 40. This was on a 3 mile school run that was heavy traffic, around 10mph avg speed. Comparing to both my old 1.6 focus zetec and current second car, a 1.2htp 3cyl fabia 63 plate which both did/do low 30s mpg. Technology has indeed come along way, I have since managed up to 60mpg on a quieter commute, 10mpg up on the fabia, 13mpg up on focus. I was nervous about such a small engine but have driven car full and have not had an issue yet, I have DSG on it, it definitely drives way smoother than my father's geartronic equipped Volvo v60 with around 150ps D3 and only feels marginally slower. I think the DSG works best if you drive light on acceleration, it does seem to go up gears very quick compared to what I would normally do so hence the economy. That said I always drive fairly economicaly on my manual cars.

I think the DSG works best to get most out of the small engine, another big benefit was price... I picked up an 18 plate estate with 14k miles at 1000 pounds less than anything I'd seen with 1.6tdi or 1.5tsi, it would have been 300 more for a 1.5 hatch with same age and miles. I think people being put off by idea of small engine makes the car a shrewd used buy. I have had 3 larger cars with a 1.6 petrol, no turbo and a 2.0hdi Citroen with a turbo, the Octavia pulls better than all of them and feels much more refined, only the 2.0hdi felt better fully loaded for obvious reasons but on everyday use I don't imagine most would need more than the 1.0tsi, fuel economy might be similar to 1.5tsi but cost to buy is definitely not.

• Like 2