MPG. It's taking over my life.

Hello! 

I have always been obsessed with how much MPG I can get out of any car I own and love smashing what the cars specs say it can do! I guess I'm not wired right as anyone I admit this to gives me an odd look. Never mind! 

My current car is the Skoda Superb 1.5 Petrol Sportline Plus Estate Auto. And according to the WLTP figures I should get 36 - 39mpg out of this engine. These figure seemed a little low but I'm pleased to say that with a very light foot and in eco mode I can push this to as high as 65.2mpg on a 20ish mile drive to work.

So I want to know if there are any weirdos like me and if so how far have you pushed your car past its expected figures?! 

IMG_20200427_184414.jpg

IMG_20200422_234617.jpg

@CharlieFarleyy

Can you actually drive 62.5 miles and use only 4.546 litres of petrol, if you brim to brim,  maybe doing the 20 ish mile trip 3 times?

The WLTP , RDE or RDE2 has nothing to do with actually driving the car with someone driving and passengers and luggage and real world.

It is good to better those figures when going places in the weather what ever that be in what ever country and whatever season.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Several advantages of being a careful driver are making consumables last much longer than the drive it like you stole it brigade. Tyres last much longer as well as brake pads and discs. My last 66 litres of petrol lasted me 22 days so less time at the garage filling up as well as less money wasted and better for the enviroment.

Yep, I like to get good mpg too (Octavia 2.0tdi cr150). I do a lot of rural driving and my commute is now on the flat in Shropshire so I can happily get 60mpg. Often driving across Wales I enjoy making progress, but sometimes if you get stuck in a queue behind a lorry with no hope of passing you can get a great mpg just from doing no more than 50mph, 78.9mpg has been my best from Welshpool across to Aberystwyth. I also record every fill up of fuel in a spreadsheet on my mobile to work out mpg, fuel cost per mile and monthly cost, which at the moment is incredibly low!

I am guessing you are very lucky with your choice of roads.

On my same commute at roughly same time of day (about 13 miles, 15 traffic lights) through SW London into Surrey.  Typically get 42-45mpg, but traffic (and how many traffic lights are red) are main determinant.  Have seen 53mpg indicated on clear run, but also down to 34mpg when accident pushed journey to 70 minutes 

Therefore I have concluded can’t control a +/- 20% variation, on commute, so now given up worrying about it

However have seen 60mpg plus when driving in rural areas, on clear roads without traffic lights, so can get 80% more than worst journeys with right conditions.

Edited by SurreyJohn

I occasionally get pleasure from this also... Well actually seeing how low I can get the MPG .. It's surprisingly difficult to get below 22 MPG so always a challenge  ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Nick_H said:

I occasionally get pleasure from this also... Well actually seeing how low I can get the MPG .. It's surprisingly difficult to get below 22 MPG so always a challenge  ..

We need proof post a photo next time the urge strikes. Managed a 9 and 10mpg around Snetterton and Donington Park circuits in the Octavia and didn't go over 120mph on the straight bits.

18 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

We need proof post a photo next time the urge strikes. Managed a 9 and 10mpg around Snetterton and Donington Park circuits in the Octavia and didn't go over 120mph on the straight bits.

I did post the picture in the long distant past but cant be bothered to go hunting for it 🙂

21 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Several advantages of being a careful driver are making consumables last much longer than the drive it like you stole it brigade. Tyres last much longer as well as brake pads and discs. My last 66 litres of petrol lasted me 22 days so less time at the garage filling up as well as less money wasted and better for the enviroment.

My current 66l are style on going after 7 weeks!... Never burnt so little diesel 👍... But only drove 10km 🤔... Lockdown, is better than me for high mpg 😜 !

3 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

My current 66l are style on going after 7 weeks!... Never burnt so little diesel 👍... But only drove 10km 🤔... Lockdown, is better than me for high mpg 😜 !

Greta from Sweden is very proud of your sacrifice and reminds you to pump your tyres up to avoid flat spots.:clap:

• Haha 1

I'm also a hypermiler myself, always looking for the next low figure. Last summer I made it from Bordeaux to Paris on my 150 TDI superb estate, loaded trunk and seats, AC on, with an average of 4.3l/100 (65.7 mpg) while driving at the max legal speed. My best ever mileage was in one of my commutes back home on a secondary road, empty car, made 3.3 l/100 (85.6 mpg).

Edited by pcspinheiro
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Short drive in the Cotswolds last night, disappointed that I couldn't stop to capture the peak of 118mpg!

IMG_20200604_210248.jpg

Snowshill to Broadway in case you're wondering, perhaps not representative of normal usage 😉

Edited by D402

42 minutes ago, D402 said:

Short drive in the Cotswolds last night, disappointed that I couldn't stop to capture the peak of 118mpg!

IMG_20200604_210248.jpg

Snowshill to Broadway in case you're wondering, perhaps not representative of normal usage 😉

Big downhills always help!

That figure would be halved if not divided by 3 or 4 if you had turned around and returned to your start point for a 6 mile journey.

On 29/04/2020 at 12:55, CharlieFarleyy said:

My current car is the Skoda Superb 1.5 Petrol Sportline Plus Estate Auto. And according to the WLTP figures I should get 36 - 39mpg out of this engine. These figure seemed a little low but I'm pleased to say that with a very light foot and in eco mode I can push this to as high as 65.2mpg on a 20ish mile drive to work.

The WLTP figure is for Mr Joe Average driving in an average manner in average conditions and is a indicator of what someone can expect to achieve over the long term. ( HJ real world says 40mpg ) You're comparing that to someone with a light foot over a very short journey in favourable conditions. Oranges and apples.

What about posting your long-term which gives the best comparison to WLTP and HJ and lets see just how low those WLTP figures were.

PS - This is something I have real trouble understanding about WLTP. The combined figure is taken from a list of results yet for the 1.5tsi Sportsline DSG:

WLTP fuel consumption - Combined  39.3 mpg
WLTP fuel consumption - Low  30.9 mpg
WLTP fuel consumption - Meduim  40.0 mpg
WLTP fuel consumption - High  45.3 mpg
WLTP fuel consumption - Extra high

38.4 mpg

Does anyone know why the Combined figure or even the High figure is lower than the Extra High?  Seems very weird on the face of it.

I'll try to get the uphill reading next time if I can work out how to reset the trip data. I know it knocks 15 miles off the estimated fuel range. I also know it's not much fun on a pushbike!

52 minutes ago, D402 said:

And that's with a pi55 poor ECO figure of 81 too.   You should try it downhill next time :D

I was unfairly penalised for having to turn round on a steep slope before commencing the descent, bike on the roof rack too 😜

Wife did a 5 mile trip to a local Town today in her petrol Karoq 148bhp 1.5TSi and 5 mile return and got a reasonable 40mpg on the maxidot. Her car's Long Term is now just over 48mpg and when I drive it I'm probably averaging around 56mpg.🙂