Bonnet vents

Has anyone ever given thoughts to fitting functional bonnet vents?

The strengthening beams on the underside don't leave much room to do this but I guess that part can be reworked.

I would like to put wire meshing on the underside of the vents to. 

I have given thought to protection from water too and I have drawn inspiration from https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/380511-diy-rain-guards-ts-hood.html

I would also like to be able to remove the water shield in summer so I can hear the engine noises.

I welcome your positive thoughts......

Where would I disconnect the water pipe for the windscreen washers?

And IF ive got heated washer nozzles, would the power supply be running in the same 'wrapped' pipework?

@Bigeater

Get a hole in the bulk head and a bit of vacuum cleaner pipe through it and take your engine noises and also get the smells into the cabin.

(Opening the windows to be sure you have fresh air will also help you hear the engine noises.)

Or is it the engine noise when standing outside the car that you want more of?

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Haha 1

Is the area highlighted in red, the place where I should disconnect the water supply?

(with thanks to alf.onso for the best image on the net for under hood picture)

under bonnet picture2.jpg

Edited by Bigeater

That's a real stupid idea for multiple reasons... You can have a lot of issues with electronics / engine in long run. I suggest against this stupid idea... 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 09:37, Bigeater said:

I've not suffered overheating. I just like my cars to be loud. Plus, I like the look of louvres/vents.

It's a 4 pot, it's never going to be vocal from the front end.  

Here, treat yourself: 

https://www.doorsuperstore.co.uk/product/masons-timber-1981mm-x-533mm-individual-white-painted-pine-open-louvre-door.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-r71BRDuARIsAB7i_QP-jCE19cVeK7-0o6WZQUIoFPR67M_VZSz2n4zFpyqKW_vko_pKa64aAuatEALw_wcB

Sorry, but it’s a bit of a daft idea, given the 280/270/276/272 is all about being a Q Car. This was back in ‘76, but the principal is the same... what it’s not is a rusting red 1967 MGB Roadster, upon which my mate Mick added bonnet vents and a scoop (WTF?), white go faster stripes, chucked the original Rostyles for white Weller’s and added a Peco rear box, thus ruining the MGB exhaust sound. What was the point? 

Edited by numskull

• 1 year later...

Each to their own.

And right to ignore those with differing minds.

Is what modding and personalisation is all about.

Wouldn't be my choice, but looks a decent job and hope they are issue free.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks far better than I thought it woukd, and makes me smile like a 70's viva with a cherry bomb would. ( thats a good thing)    Cant remember if you said the engine but assume it wont drip anto anything 'sensitive" when it rains?, 

• Like 1

I drove through torrential rain the other day and it didn't let anything in. I have though paid for a k&n air filter sock to cover the filter, 

Weeks ago i bought a roll of 3M magnetic tape. It's only a few mm thick and i made these for when the car is parked up, until i can find the time to make a better rain guard....

IMG0097A.jpg

• Like 2

Nice. Driving through rain was not something that I had bothered thinking on with rearward facing vents, it was sitting parked in torrential rain or with snow on the bonnet and it melting which is why waterways are usually part of the design. 

• Like 1