Has 1.5 TSI engine now been fixed?

Yellowduck

On 08/07/2020 at 17:47, markpipa said:

Thanks for that Anders, I am feeling better about giving the 1.5 TSI another chance, just have to convince the wife now.

Yes, that's often the biggest hurdle - but it can be done 😃

• 3 months later...

Where do I start with my Karoq 1.5 TSI Sportline, engine problems.
On the day on picking up the car, call from dealership this was damaged to the bonnet, it’s was that bad, bonnet replaced, was this a bad omen.

Just after picking up the car from the body shop, travelling to work overtaking a Octavia on the bypass, loss of power and no acceleration.

Managed to regain power, carried onto work when entering into the car park area, loss of power and no response from the accelerator.

This fault happened three times, along with poor fuel consumption and EPC light lit on starting the engine, meanwhile the car is only 6 weeks old.

Fault diagnosed with a fault inlet cam sensor, known faulty batch of sensors, the sensor was replaced, drove the car felt fine.

About week later, entering a roundabout had no response from the engine, had to change down a couple of gears before getting a response from the engine.

No problems for couple of weeks, fault appeared again with loss of response from the accelerator, poor fuel consumption (27 mpg), kangrooing and hesitation in acceleration.

Contacted the dealership, telling me return the car ASAP.
After delivering the car, I told the sales manager I was rejecting the car.

Heard nothing from the dealership for couple weeks later, had a telephone call from them, saying they were unable to find fault with car.

Told the dealership, I was not accepting the car back, so they drove car for another couple of weeks, not updating me what was happening with the car, with the rejection and fault finding.

So after listening to the dealership, they were waiting for the south west area manager to contact them.

I started researching about how to rejecting the car, so googled the fault with 1.5 TSI engine, definitely few complaints across the VAG range.

So officially rejected the car under Consumer Act 2015 (Not fit for purpose and safety issue) emailed the dealership, waited and waited, then dealership advised me to rejected to Skoda finance and Skoda customer services. Two telephone calls later and emails received to confirmed rejection, this can take up to 8 weeks, now 5 weeks left and still no case manager allocated to the rejection.

Meanwhile, this week spoke to Customer case manager and found out that she had spoken to the dealership and found a fault, EPC warning light lit on starting the engine. The fault was diagnosed with faulty inlet cam sensor again, from the same batch from the original fault sensor.

Dealership offered me a replacement car, same engine and model, rejected the offer not wanting the 1.5 TSI engine.

Now buying another car from the VAG range, but not 1.5 TSI engine.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Scuba Steve 827

It would be dead useful if you said when this was that you got your car, and when your car was built?

The fault started to appear, 3-4 weeks after picking up the car.

Car was built around March/April 2020.
Also there was a Skoda bulletin issued in March 20, stating a faulty batch of inlet cam sensors across the VAG range.

Edited by Scuba Steve 827
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve 827 said:

The fault started to appear, 3-4 weeks after picking up the car.

Car was built around March/April 2020.
Also there was a Skoda bulletin issued in March 20, stating a faulty batch of inlet cam sensors across the VAG range.

I took delivery of the car in June 2020.

I’ve taken delivery of a 1.5 DSG Sportline build date 16th September 2020 and apart from a dent in the bonnet also on delivery, successfully removed by a PDR technician I sourced and paid for by the dealer, it’s been great. 

Engine very smooth and no problems so far (been a couple of weeks only). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Dlanod said:

That’s a shame. Mine continues to be absolutely fine. How odd. Wonder if they changed something between July and September. Would seem unlikely though. 

Should have said April and September......

We have a 1.5tsi SEL new in March 20, it’s always felt a little strange, abit jerky when cold, lacking abit of power till further up the revs. 
well about 6months in, we started to get the EPC light come on intermittently only on a cold start, turning off and back on it went out every time. Only once a week sometimes once every 2 weeks this happened. Called Skoda assist to it who said it had a fuel delivery code logged, the guy followed his guided diagnostic’s which pointed to a cam sensor fault, ordered and changed the sensor... car is like new! More responsive, no jerking and feels smoother. Result!

ultimate test SWMBO drove it.... and I quote “ wow!..it feels so much nicer to drive” 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a Skoda Karoq 1.5tsi, engine code DPCA. It has the kangaroo problem for 2 min on cold engine in the summer and for 5 min in the winter.

The behavior is like a cracked inlet manifold or like a lean carburetor setup.

The car was manufactured on 05 of December 2020.

The map gas for the cold engine is wrong, too less gas for that temperature, even if is direct injection is still too less.

The accelerator flap tries to open in correlation with the accelerator pedal request but the engine is not receiving enough gas to be able to accelerate.

Still don't understand why VW is not updating the firmware with the corrected gas map?!

//sorry for my bad english :)

• 11 months later...
On 19/09/2022 at 15:40, cri1410sti said:

Hi,

I have a Skoda Karoq 1.5tsi, engine code DPCA. It has the kangaroo problem for 2 min on cold engine in the summer and for 5 min in the winter.

The behavior is like a cracked inlet manifold or like a lean carburetor setup.

The car was manufactured on 05 of December 2020.

The map gas for the cold engine is wrong, too less gas for that temperature, even if is direct injection is still too less.

The accelerator flap tries to open in correlation with the accelerator pedal request but the engine is not receiving enough gas to be able to accelerate.

Still don't understand why VW is not updating the firmware with the corrected gas map?!

//sorry for my bad english :)

hello,

My kangaroo was fixed 2 days ago by the dealer with an ECU sw update from 0863 to 1910.

Karoq 2021 - 1.5tsi 150hp DPCA, Mq281-UET

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 24/08/2023 at 11:43, cri1410sti said:

hello,

My kangaroo was fixed 2 days ago by the dealer with an ECU sw update from 0863 to 1910.

Karoq 2021 - 1.5tsi 150hp DPCA, Mq281-UET

Update:

Partially fixed, the kangaroo still exist but it is only in the first minute of the engine startup (there is a 20% gap in the gas pedal response), after the idle is dropping back to 700-800rpm the engine is working better.

TMBJR7NU0M5023155, 1.5 TSI-DPCA. cri1410sti=at=yahoo=com

i'm 99% sure that the kangaroo is from bad ECU maps engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say not entirely fixed - my wife and I find our manual 1.5 TSi (2023 - owned from new) difficult to drive smoothly, especially in traffic and very easy to stall.

It seems slow to rev and it proves difficult to modulate the throttle and clutch, which often leads to it stalling at inopportune moments.

The engine also stalls at low revs, without my much/any prior warning (it does not appear to "labour" prior to stalling).

No fault found at recent service.

17 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

I would say not entirely fixed - my wife and I find our manual 1.5 TSi (2023 - owned from new) difficult to drive smoothly, especially in traffic and very easy to stall.

It seems slow to rev and it proves difficult to modulate the throttle and clutch, which often leads to it stalling at inopportune moments.

The engine also stalls at low revs, without my much/any prior warning (it does not appear to "labour" prior to stalling).

No fault found at recent service.

As I said before, there is no fault because according to the ECU all the parameters are not exceeded the maps. So please ask the dealer to connect your car to ODIS and to update your ECU rom. Please note your engine code (dpc, dxd) and old/new version of the rom.

Edited by cri1410sti

5 hours ago, cri1410sti said:

As I said before, there is no fault because according to the ECU all the parameters are not exceeded the maps. So please ask the dealer to connect your car to ODIS and to update your ECU rom. Please note your engine code (dpc, dxd) and old/new version of the rom.

The main dealer said the car was 'up-to-date' when it was recently serviced. 

Not sure where I'd find the engine code?

Edited by pinkpanther

20 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

The main dealer said the car was 'up-to-date' when it was recently serviced. 

the engine code you can find it in the car registration/papers, 4 letters like: dada, dpca, dfya, dxdb.

usually only the 150hp/250 Nm engines have the kangaroo problem.

the others with 130hp and 200/220Nm are working better.

54 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Skoda did not use 1.5TSI engines with 130 ps. and they are not ACT,s.

there was no need to manipulate engine management of those Engines to get the WLTP Certification as happened with the 1.5 TSI ACT,s.

vw is forcing the engine to run at lambda 1 or more(lean fuel/air) on small acceleration request, that why you get less torque and you have kangaroo.

i think that this can be fixed by adding 5% more for every value in the ECU fuel map.

usually any engine needs (short term) a reacher fuel/air ratio in order to start accelerating, and in normal/constant driving is using lambda regulation only.

Edited by cri1410sti

52 minutes ago, cri1410sti said:

vw is forcing the engine to run at lambda 1 or more(lean fuel/air) on small acceleration request, that why you get less torque and you have kangaroo.

Lambda 1.0, the Stochiometric ratio is what every engine made since the early 90's has been set to run at, you may be right with the underlined text though 👍

8 hours ago, cri1410sti said:

On mine, it's also printed on the label affixed to the B pillar, driver side.

Edited by agedbriar

On 22/02/2024 at 10:25, J.R. said:

Lambda 1.0, the Stochiometric ratio is what every engine made since the early 90's has been set to run at, you may be right with the underlined text though 👍

usually in short acceleration lambda 0.86 to 0.95 is used,

only when the engine torque/power is reaching(or is almost) to the driver pedal demand - then the lambda is going back to 1 - 1.05

(and maybe ~1.55 to max 3.0 when you light driving)

you can find more info in the SSP-253 --the TSI modes: homogen, homogen lean, stratified.

Edited by cri1410sti
  • Like 1