New Superb L&K interior questions

Hi all,

I'm intending next year to buy a Superb L&K when my BMW's PCP finishes in March. As I obviously can't view one at the moment (or don't want to just yet), I was wondering if any MY2020 Superb L&K owners could help me with the following questions, please?

1) Are the door cards (above the leather door arms)  leather or plastic in an L&K? I believe the cards in Sportlines are nice alcantara and look really nice, but I can't tell from pictures and videos alone if the L&K's are leather or not. 

2) Do the L&K seats have a pull-out thigh support at the fronts?

3) Is the massage seat option worth it, or is it just naff?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rob

I think massaging car seats are a waste unless you’re buying a Roller 🤑

For me though it would depend upon the price because anything to stimulate blood flow etc on a long drive is a plus!

I would love ventilated seats which I think is a standard feature on L&K now, wasn’t when mine was built 😢 it’s on my shopping list for the next car

Edited by drewellis

8 minutes ago, drewellis said:

I think massaging car seats are a waste unless you’re buying a Roller 🤑

For me though it would depend upon the price because anything to stimulate blood flow etc on a long drive is a plus!

I would love ventilated seats which I think is a standard feature on L&K now, wasn’t when mine was built 😢 it’s on my shopping list for the next car

Heated and Ventilated seats in my Superb are "SUPERB"!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ope126 said:

1) Leather

2) No

3) I have the massage option in my Passat (not in my Superb) and it is ok.

Great, thank you. Shame about the thigh supporter, as I like that. Our Audi & BMW has it but I’m guessing the Superb seats may be deep enough. I believe Sportlines do have it. 

Sad they also stopped the high level electric seat adjuster in the middle too (in the UK at least). 

The massage option is £155. One of those things I think they might as well have made standard (like the flipping DSG paddles that have been standard on every auto car I’ve owned since 2008!) 🙂

Cheers

Rob

Door cards have "leather" inserts in Style (SEL?) trim too. Vegan leather clearly. 

As for thigh support, there is no such thing at all. Sportline seats look like they have a longer cushion in this area, but when I sat down I did not feel it at all.

Yes I wouldn't class the door cards as leather they are some artificial material. Also the sides of the seats and headrests are artificial. They look fine though!

3 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Yes I wouldn't class the door cards as leather they are some artificial material. Also the sides of the seats and headrests are artificial. They look fine though!

Are the arm rests underneath leather, or the same mystery material?

At least they’re something squidgy, not hard plastic like I feared. Yes, from what I’ve seen the leather quality is definitely a step down from Audi. I like the Sportline alcantara but will most likely choose L&K for the toys. I can’t keep a Sportline with options under £40k. 

Rob

I have a Style model, but pretty much the same as the L&K interior wise. The arm rests are the same material. It's all soft and easily cleaned so possibly more practical than leather. The central arm rest is leather I think.  My interior is ivory and all the materials blend in well.

I wouldn't bother with the massage function - certainly not if it's an extra £155 (don't think I paid that for it a couple of years back - I certainly hope not). I use it occasionally on long drives - mainly because I've got it rather than it making a huge difference.

The ventilated seats are subtle necessary in hot weather with the leather seats. I had to option these as they didn't come as standard on the L&K then. Would have much preferred the alcantara seats (without ventilation) but L&K was only leather at the time.

30 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I wouldn't bother with the massage function - certainly not if it's an extra £155 (don't think I paid that for it a couple of years back - I certainly hope not). I use it occasionally on long drives - mainly because I've got it rather than it making a huge difference.

The ventilated seats are subtle necessary in hot weather with the leather seats. I had to option these as they didn't come as standard on the L&K then. Would have much preferred the alcantara seats (without ventilation) but L&K was only leather at the time.

Yep, I would much prefer alacantara too, whether in the same physical design as the L&K or the Sportline seats. Unfortunately it's not an option. In the UK, the L&K seats are as standard electric, heated & vented. The massage function is the only option. I'd also prefer them without the L&K logo and with the high level passenger seat adjuster, even if I had to pay for the privilege.

I think a lot of the standard options are bizarre on the UK Superbs. Why no 1.5TSI option on the L&K? Why are the gear paddles an option? Why not just make the traffic sign recognition standard instead of charging £90 for it? Why remove the high level adjuster, seemingly only in the UK? Why no sleep package option? Why no alcantara headlining option? The list goes on. 

Rob

38 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I managed to get paddles on my UK MY2018.

You’re lucky. All the ready-built ones I’ve enquired about always have the requisite Trinity wheels, spare tyre & traffic sign recognition, but nobody bothers with the paddles. Totally bizarre, they’re absolutely essential in my opinion, especially with the ‘tip’ being back to front on VAG cars. 🤪

Rob

MY21 Superb L&K will have DSG paddles, however no thigh extension for the front seats unlike the MY21 Kodiaq. MY21 Superb will also have Area View available.

6482967B-1981-45C9-9FC6-C9A30F70EBEF.jpeg.d2138ea1ae46aaac89215ee31d1a1aa3.jpeg

Edited by ZacDaMan72

19 hours ago, sula_rob said:

2) Do the L&K seats have a pull-out thigh support at the fronts?

3) Is the massage seat option worth it, or is it just naff?

2: the square fronted seats on my Karoq give plenty of thigh support but tbh, the more rounded seats in my Octavia I didn't like due to the lack of thigh support. But the reason I bought my Octavia was because it had electric seats. Electric seats mean you're able to tilt the seat base thus that's what provides the extra thigh support. You'll have the best of both worlds in the Superb then.

Not sure about BMW electric seats but was able to tilt them with manual adujstment. I never felt the need for the extended seats on the M-Sport models.

3) I sat in a Tiguan with massage seats which I thought were awful. The term 'massage' conjores up the sensation of someone pressing all over your back when in fact all it is is the lumbar support moving in and out horizontally and up and down vertically on your lower back. In no way is it a massage, it feels more like the electric seat is broken :D. I just found it very irritating hence would never use it.  But that might just be me.

Edit - the electric lumbar on VAG is excellent because it also moves in the vertical plain therefore you're able to adapt the lumbar depending on the size of the driver - great. But what's the bloody use of then the system adjusting the lumber to the area where you don't need it? All that means is the area where you do need lumbar is no longer there so in fact it's actually doing more harm than good. Gimmick doesn't even begin to describe what I think of it, but I suppose some folk think it works.  You'd be better of using the £155 for a proper massage. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, sula_rob said:

You’re lucky. All the ready-built ones I’ve enquired about always have the requisite Trinity wheels, spare tyre & traffic sign recognition, but nobody bothers with the paddles. Totally bizarre, they’re absolutely essential in my opinion, especially with the ‘tip’ being back to front on VAG cars. 🤪

Rob

I've never felt the need for paddles, the car seems to always be in the right gear for me.

1 minute ago, facet edge said:

I've never felt the need for paddles, the car seems to always be in the right gear for me.

Fair enough. I use it to initiate engine braking as much as to drop a gear or to upshift quicker... but even so, it was standard on my mid-spec 2008 Seat Leon so I'd expect it to just be a given these days!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, facet edge said:

I have them and use them frequently, anticipating steep hills etc. Skodas calibration always lugs the engine too much for my tastes.

39 minutes ago, digifish said:

I have them and use them frequently, anticipating steep hills etc. Skodas calibration always lugs the engine too much for my tastes.

Exactly. I mean, I’ll be making sure I get both, but quite who decided that paddles should be optional but a heated wheel standard should be shot. 

4 hours ago, sula_rob said:

Exactly. I mean, I’ll be making sure I get both, but quite who decided that paddles should be optional but a heated wheel standard should be shot. 

And that is why we are all different. I would have the heated steering wheel over the paddles any day.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

And that is why we are all different. I would have the heated steering wheel over the paddles any day.

Fair play. I wouldn’t be without either now, but my point really was that at this price point & at the top of the range, it ought to be standard. Not 100% sure but I think it’s only the L&K where it’s not standard on all auto engines. It definitely is on Sportline (but there the heat is an option). 

9 hours ago, sula_rob said:

Fair play. I wouldn’t be without either now, but my point really was that at this price point & at the top of the range, it ought to be standard. Not 100% sure but I think it’s only the L&K where it’s not standard on all auto engines. It definitely is on Sportline (but there the heat is an option). 

To be doubly fair to you sula_rob, I quickly responded with my thoughts but having had a serious motor bike accident I can now only drive an automatic which would probably tilt me to having both.😄🤣

I use the paddles a lot. I use it to upshift, as the DSG doesn’t change up when it could. So at 30mph, it tends to stay in 3rd so I upshift to 4th, thus improving mpg. I tend to downshift when I’m planning to overtake but don’t want it to automatically downshift two gears as I accelerate and then scream away like a banshee. 

Have just taken delivery of a 2018MY Kodiaq which I'd bought unseen in the flesh and hadn't expected to have the paddles, was pleased to find it has them together with a heated wheel. I was looking at a 2-3yo car with a budget of 20-25k, having looked at new I couldn't justify the additional cost and every other used car I'd enquired on didn't have them. After two Audi's which both had them (my first autos), I'd found them useful, particularly on the Q5 when on mildly off road routes, but having ruled out new, I'd resigned myself to having to do without them, the other attributes of the Kodi had made it a firm favourite and led me to dismissing just about everything else I could buy for 25K, although the Seat ran it close.

Having now driven it a couple of hundred miles, I find the gearchanges are slicker than the Q5 but it downshifts later so the opportunity to drop it down sooner is welcome, particularly approaching roundabouts and looking for a gap in the traffic to pull away sharpish. I suspect that I'd have been a bit irritated by the lack of paddles on any other car and maybe it justifies the view that you should never buy a car you haven't driven!

• 2 weeks later...

I had massage drivers seat on my 2008 Citroen C5. Expected it to be like the E-Class with variable areas, but not. Lumbar area only, when it got to the bottom it felt as though you were being pushed out of the seat.

Do I miss it? Would I have it spec’d into a new car? Defiantly yes.