Cam belt and water pump

I had mine done at 32000 miles 6 years old. superb td140. the belt as in perfect condition good for at least 10 yrs. garage said they suppose its peace of mind 

On 24/07/2020 at 13:47, kwmax said:

I had mine done at 32000 miles 6 years old. superb td140. the belt as in perfect condition good for at least 10 yrs. garage said they suppose its peace of mind 

Skoda told me

Age - 5 years

or

Mileage - 140,000

however id never go near those, its a big bill if it breaks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2020 at 13:58, chimaera said:

UK importer specifies every 4 years or 100000 miles. Skoda CZ says at 210000 km without a time limit.

I have read this. In Germany they say 210000Km and no time limit. Driving profiles here are not very different from Germany.

Why would the UK importer go against the manufacturers guidelines?

2 hours ago, rover220 said:

One reason. 

O.K., but Skoda UK will not do all the increase number of cam belt changes. The majority will go to independent workshops. So just a small financial gain.

5 years / 80,000 miles. That's on a 61 plate 140 CR.

I looked at independents last time & for various other bits but haven't found much of a saving, so still using Skoda dealer.

Mine is a 1.6 TDI 2011 Octavia estate. I've been told 4 years and also 5 years for my cam belt to be changed by a Skoda dealer. 

It was last changed at 39k in 2016. It's now on approx. 81k. Can anyone advise me on this. 

Edited by Tezza2020

On 22/08/2020 at 19:10, 26DIPP said:

I have read this. In Germany they say 210000Km and no time limit. Driving profiles here are not very different from Germany.

Why would the UK importer go against the manufacturers guidelines?

I think the air in the UK is more corrosive to cam belt material than in other countries and the UK motorist has a proven track record of being quite happy to bend over and take it up the tail pipe

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I had to do mine just before Christmas thanks to a failed water pump at 150000 km. €540 including replacement of cam and crankshaft oil seals (they weren't gone but mechanic suggested it'd do no harm to change them while everything is opened up).

I confirmed with dealership and Skoda UK at the time that mine was every 5 years... (car built in October 2010). Apparently they changed the time from 4 to 5 years for cars built some point just before mine was built from what both the dealership and Skoda UK told me.