Spare Wheel or Repair Kit

Hi, I'm buying a 3 yr old Octavia Scout and it looks as though there is only a puncture repair kit, rather than any kind of spare wheel.  I've occasionally had punctures over the years and  at least two of them have been in the side wall or on the edge, so I've always used my full size spare wheel. Personally I wouldn't be entirely comfortable without a spare wheel, but how do others on here feel?  Also, how much, roughly, would a spare alloy wheel cost?

Having just used a plug kit to temporarily repair a nail hole near the sidewall I will absolutely keep the kit in the car. Was very easy to use and much more capable than a can of gunge. Looking at trading my TDI in for a superb iv so no space for a spare. 

The consensus on here seems to be to get a spare from dealer or eBay.

I called Skoda assist when I got a screw in the tyre a few weeks back - no way I was ruining a good tyre with gunk. I might put a spare in at some point, but I don't want to have to swap it between summer and winter tyres... <sigh>. 

- Bret

• Like 1

I've currently got a skinny space saver, bought a Golf Mk7 original steel full size spare today which matches the wheels I've got on. I haven't had a puncture for years but  having a proper spare gives you a chance of getting to your destination in a reasonable time.

When you get a tear in a side wall at 3 o'clock in the morning you'll know a spare wheel is the only way to go. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies folks. All things considered, I'll make buying a full size spare a priority. We travel a fair bit in the country where the potholes have sharp sides and no amount of gunge will heal a tear in the sidewall. It's not a cheap option, but I keep my cars for around 8 yrs+, so it's peace of mind.

• Like 1

Spare wheel every time. My car also came with a can of gunk only, just like my previous Octavia. With my previous car I bought a full size steel wheel. and needed it too. Hit a pothole and badly damaged the N/S front tyre. Used the spare to drive safe until I could have a new tyre fitted. One month later, hit another pothole with the same wheel as last time while turning right on a roundabout. Completely burst the new tyre I had fitted only a month ago. On went the spare wheel to get me home. So after not having a puncture for decades before that, had two occasions in one month where a spare wheel was needed. With my present car, I have bought a space saver wheel this time, just in case bad luck strikes again! 

• Like 1

I just bought an Octavia estate, 4 years old, with a can of slime and a pump in the boot. I don't like the idea of doing any journey without a spare wheel, so I ordered one. There are plenty of cheap wheels with tyre on eBay, but I got a genuine Skoda kit with wheel/tyre, jack and tools, all in the proper black foam thing that fits in the wheel well. Also very important, the correct device to attach to the boot floor to hold it down, for safety reasons. It's very neat and well-designed, and I am happy with it. Caffyn's (Skoda dealer), £170 shipped, arrived ion 3-4 days. I had the spare before I had the car :)

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 21:52, RichardB53 said:

I just bought an Octavia estate, 4 years old, with a can of slime and a pump in the boot. I don't like the idea of doing any journey without a spare wheel, so I ordered one. There are plenty of cheap wheels with tyre on eBay, but I got a genuine Skoda kit with wheel/tyre, jack and tools, all in the proper black foam thing that fits in the wheel well. Also very important, the correct device to attach to the boot floor to hold it down, for safety reasons. It's very neat and well-designed, and I am happy with it. Caffyn's (Skoda dealer), £170 shipped, arrived ion 3-4 days. I had the spare before I had the car :)

Yes, I've ordered a genuine one as well, with matching wheel design. I often swap wheels around as and when necessary, and a non-matching one would look strange. I can then relax when out and about, not living on my nerves about getting a puncture I cannot deal with or being in a place with no phone reception.

On 30/08/2020 at 12:15, BorderCollie said:

Yes, I've ordered a genuine one as well, with matching wheel design. I often swap wheels around as and when necessary, and a non-matching one would look strange. I can then relax when out and about, not living on my nerves about getting a puncture I cannot deal with or being in a place with no phone reception.

Mine is a plain old steel wheel (full-size) whereas the car wheels are alloy. So not a match visually, but should get me home after any wheel-related incident without fuss. I generally only rotate side-to-side anyway (can't remember when I last did it, mind) so I usually relace tyres in pairs as they wear. Having all 5 matching is not a requirement.

This maybe a little late, but I've  just bought an octavia VRS from a dealership and one of the conditions of the sale was that they fit the spare wheel kit as it had the tyre gunk. Might be worth a try

• 1 month later...

I cant remember what the dealer charges for a spare wheel kit. 

Mine doesent have a spare wheel kit. All ive got is the gunk and a pump that enjoys distroying fuses.

On 30/08/2020 at 12:15, BorderCollie said:

I did exactly the same, having looked on eBay the wheel and tyre was cheaper, just but with the tool kit and secure fixing it was more cost effective to get them from the dealer. 

A few months later after getting a full set of cross climate tyres fitted, I ended up with a puncture close to the sidewall, the spare wheel was fitted and worked a treat. So in my mind it's already paid for itself.

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

I did exactly the same, having looked on eBay the wheel and tyre was cheaper, just but with the tool kit and secure fixing it was more cost effective to get them from the dealer. 

A few months later after getting a full set of cross climate tyres fitted, I ended up with a puncture close to the sidewall, the spare wheel was fitted and worked a treat. So in my mind it's already paid for itself.

The problem is, the well / cavity in the boot is designed for a space saver wheel and it's a very very tight fit for the full size wheel. It also means that there's now a slight hump in the boot floor, but it's not noticeable below the carpet I put in.

30 minutes ago, BorderCollie said:

The problem is, the well / cavity in the boot is designed for a space saver wheel and it's a very very tight fit for the full size wheel. It also means that there's now a slight hump in the boot floor, but it's not noticeable below the carpet I put in.

There is plenty of space for a a standard wheel in my2016 estate. I can put in 225x45xr17 without effecting the floor.

IMG_20201021_111117.jpg

Get a basic steel wheel, and fit a cheap tyre (not a directional tyre, as want to be able to fit either side, ideally all season as you want to be able to use it any time of year)

Its only for temporary use to get you home and to tyre dealer day or two later, so doesn't need to be premium

If you get one from scrapper (or ebay etc), might need to change tyre (check 4 digit date code, dont really want the tyre more than 8-10 years old, last 2 digits are year), old tyres will crack and deteriorate, but should be obvious visually

Finally remember if you only have gunk, and no spare, then you will also need the jack and wheel brace 

Edited by SurreyJohn

Apologies. I was regurgitating info received from someone (forget who, was on here though). The 5 year rule is used by tyre fitters from the looks of the interwebs. No legal issues.

Carry-on.

I think there was a suggestion a while back that it was under consideration for the future, but no more than that.

You don't need a spare tyre or repair kit to pass an MOT. If you do have one, it can't make you fail whatever its condition.

Obviously it makes little sense to carry a spare that won't be usable when needed, but MOT doesn't care. 

• Like 2