Recommend me a film to watch...

ColinD

6 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

And now I've just watched Death to 2021 and I enjoyed it. I thought it was better than last years, which I also enjoyed :) 

I was going to watch that last night but ended up watching Sharpe series 4. It's on for tonight though.

I hope he stops after the second film - ie the first novel. I enjoyed the second book in the series, but felt it was diminishing returns after that. The third book is incredibly 'talkie' with not much happening (apart from the Duncan Idaho ghola wanting to be dead... a lot). By the time it got to the 6th book in the trilogy (  :thinking:  ) I'd given up hope. I initially read the books as  a child, but a couple of years ago re-read the first 3 books again, but couldn't stomach reading on after that. I can recommend the original 'Dune' as a brilliant book if anyone hasn't read it yet :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

By the time it got to the 6th book in the trilogy (  :thinking:  )

Trilogy, tetralogy, pentalogy, hexalogy, heptalogy. You can get sextupluts but sexology is a whole different genre :D 

• Haha 1

I couldn't bear to even begin watching it. I've never been a fan of Princess Diana if I'm honest, but the whole premise of this movie is just a total none starter for me. Glad I didn't waste even 30 minutes now :)  

• Like 1

I think I preferred Death to 2020. There was more to laugh at when tRump was in office :D 
I know it's Netflix so global but it seems too focused on US politics now. I know Charlie Brooker has a mortgage and all but it'd be nice if he made a more UK focused 'wipe' IMO. It's not as if there's not enough material is it :D 

Edited by @Lee

• 3 weeks later...

In a dramatic shock twist to this thread, I can recommend a movie that you should not watch!

Eternals 

Perhaps if I was 14 again, I might have enjoyed it, but what a dull fest. The dialogue is best described as dire, which is perhaps why Angelina Jolie doesn't actually speak until nearly 30 minutes into the movie. In fact, she could have sent her wig in to act for her and phoned in her dialogue afterwards. The script really is cringe worthy. An Eternal helps a girl under a table during an apparent earthquake, (like she couldn't remember how to bend down on her own!) with the words "let me help you" and as the same Eternal casually takes her leave from a group from an ancient civilisation, she says "see you", which is as we all know how language was used a couple of millennia ago. 

The music is dull, the CGI is generic, the characters are inspired by wet lettuce and after about 30 minutes I was rooting for the monsters.

I would only think you might enjoy this movie if you had started drinking a minimum of 2 hours before sitting down to it....and keep topping yourself up as you go. It may also help to have Brisky on a laptop by your side for much of the film too. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Eternals 

I'd noticed it had popped up on Disney+ ,  it can't be as bad as the "Inhumans" - can it?  I've got quite a high tolerance of poor things, wife doesn't, so may have to watch this on my own.  (If I get bored there's always the fast forward :) )

53 minutes ago, io1901 said:

I'd noticed it had popped up on Disney+ ,  it can't be as bad as the "Inhumans" - can it?  I've got quite a high tolerance of poor things, wife doesn't, so may have to watch this on my own.  (If I get bored there's always the fast forward :) )

I thought it was awful tbh. Perhaps it's the saturation of Marvel movies of late, but they seem to be running out of ideas and are replacing talented writers with CGI . The original Ironman was a terrific movie because it had heart, a great script, brilliant lead actors and it didn't rely on 'Deus ex machina' to solve every problem, unlike the latest crop of movies 😞 I really don't care if I see a new Marvel movie ever again (apart from the latest Spiderman), I'm just so bored with them. Never thought I would say that. It's a bit like Michael Bay or Roland Emerich movies, once you have seen the planet blow up you haven't got anywhere to go for a greater spectacle. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 17:06, Lady Elanore said:

I thought it was awful tbh. Perhaps it's the saturation of Marvel movies of late, but they seem to be running out of ideas and are replacing talented writers with CGI . The original Ironman was a terrific movie because it had heart, a great script, brilliant lead actors and it didn't rely on 'Deus ex machina' to solve every problem, unlike the latest crop of movies 😞 I really don't care if I see a new Marvel movie ever again (apart from the latest Spiderman), I'm just so bored with them. Never thought I would say that. It's a bit like Michael Bay or Roland Emerich movies, once you have seen the planet blow up you haven't got anywhere to go for a greater spectacle.

I've watched it this afternoon (the advantage of being retired), it was quite bad, the "bones" of the story were OK. Very strange production, CGI obvious, strange music choices (wtf Pink Floyd's 'Time' in titles), the character's didn't engage me at all. It was too long, I found myself wandering off to do other things.

• Like 1

We watched Free Solo on Amazon Prime last night. I loved it, partner hated it "I felt sick with anxiety from start to finish".

It's about a rock climber who tackles enormous and extremely difficult faces without a rope or parachute.

I was thinking the new West Side Story might be a film to watch and hence recommend, possibly. But I've just seen a clip of it on the Graham Norton Show and the two main protagonists singing to each other were awful. Autotuned to within an inch of their lives. Noooooooo! Why? I've become accustomed to every single pop song in the chart being autotuned up to the hilt and hence all voices sound like Daleks gargling in the bath (assuming the bath is in a bungalow) but surely not in one of the greatest musicals of all time!

Just let them sing you morons and leave it alone. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone has SKY Movies, then I can recommend Kimi not a biopic about a tacit racing driver, but a thriller about an agoraphobic young woman. It runs a taut 83 minutes if you don't count the credits and is directed by Steven Soderberg no less and stars Zoe Kravitz (daughter of Lenny and Lisa Bonet, so she has pretty good genes :) ). It's fairly routine and the ending is a teeny bit contrived, but it has a claustrophobic feel and is very like a 21st century Hitchcock, especially the music and some of the scenes - with perspective being a constant, subtle part of the image (well a lot of corridors and stuff :D) 

it’s also in HDR and 4k if you have that too :) 

I'd give it a solid 7/10 

Edited by Lady Elanore

• 2 weeks later...

I've just watched the Steven Speilbergs version of West Side Story. The music is fab, the sets and costumes are wonderful, the acting and dancing is great, but...

The AUTOTUNE!!!!

I can recommend the film. If you liked the original, you should like this one (it's hard to screw up the fabulous score). But if you hate AUTOTUNE then be prepared to have is spoil the film, just a little. A beautiful duo called "one hand, one heart" between the two main protagonists, is completely wrecked. It should be called "Battle of the Autotunes". Why oh why do they do that? Get people who can sing if your chosen cast is really that bad! (which I doubt). 

Most people aren't that bothered by autotune and anyone who listens to and enjoys, current pop music must be immune to it, or possibly, even like it? So on that ground I can recommend the movie, but don't expect me to recommend the singing (mostly Ansel Elgort's singing 😞 )  

it is worth a watch though and especially if you have never seen the original (they have kept the musical numbers pretty faithful to the exceptional originals)

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Two films, one crap one fairly fun, both Netflix.

enough charades.

last man standing… dire, took four goes to get through it. Heck of a set of pecs mind!

the hunt… some good, don’t make it a date night choice. #animalfarm.

think both were trying too hard and could of done better.

4 hours ago, ColinD said:

Two films, one crap one fairly fun, both Netflix.

enough charades.

last man standing… dire, took four goes to get through it. Heck of a set of pecs mind!

the hunt… some good, don’t make it a date night choice. #animalfarm.

think both were trying too hard and could of done better.

I quite enjoyed the Hunt. A bit like Battle Royal Lite though. Is that first film the Bruce Willis one?