Recommend me a film to watch...

ColinD

On 14/11/2021 at 21:13, pinkpanther said:

I'm just finishing Season 2 of War of the Worlds (Disney+) which put me in mind of the excellent Steven Spielberg film:thumbup:

IMDB

Watched that after seeing your post. Thanks, good series. I'm now just starting on Invasion on Apple TV. 

• Like 1

I gave up on Invasion. Might give it another go

Keep meaning to go back to the second series of War of the Worlds. 

But I wish these well know classics, once committed to a tv series, would have a predefined run. Otherwise, they drag out a story and dilute it to the point of being a holistic tv show, run out of steam after 2-3 series, the money dries up and the series simply ends before finishing the story arc. Grrrrrr

• Like 2

• Administrators

Power of the dog, Jane campion film, Netflix.

well worth a watch. Lovely scenery. A story that’s got a few stories within stories.

enjoy :)

swmbo said in the first few seconds, what is with you and westerns… at the end, she said a fab film. 

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1

I love a slow western and I loved Power of the dog. Quality film making at it's best and with a great cast.

I recently watched  No TIme to Die and Dune. I love a good Bond film, but for me this was merely a decent Bond, enjoyable nonetheless. But Dune was terrific. It danced along at quite a pace, at least if you compare it to the pacing of the book and of course, the novel is so packed, that a lot of the finer details get lost in the shifting sands of the movies desert. But the scale and imagination of the film is truly epic. Great CGI that has some clever lighting effects (I believe they lit the actors to simulate the flashes caused by the explosions that were later added to the green screen). The movie only covers the first half of the book, but they have now been given the green light to make the concluding part, much to many's relief. 

• Like 1

I watched The Unforgivable the other day and found it a compelling watch. Sandra Bullock taking the lead on a story that unfolds nicely. Quite a gritty film.

Gaz

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, olduns said:

for a Western to dip in and out of if you're short of time try The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a Coen bros production, Netflix

I second that. Any Coen brothers movie is worth a watch  imho :) 

19 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I love a slow western and I loved Power of the dog. Quality film making at it's best and with a great cast.

Just in from work, Mrs Gaz at work 'til late, leftover pizza in the fridge, cold beer at the ready.... settled down to put this on 😎..... but....

I watched it at the weekend. Oh for goodness sake!! 🙄 

Disappointed now 🤔

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

2 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

For a really good horror western try bone tomahawk with kurt russel

I bought the bluray as it was cheap and had Kurt Russel in it :)

It was a bit of suprise the ..er...lengths he went to in this movie!!!! Reminded me of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein. If anyone has ever seen that film they will know the scene I refer to :whew:

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 16:17, Lady Elanore said:

I gave up on Invasion. Might give it another go

Keep meaning to go back to the second series of War of the Worlds. 

But I wish these well know classics, once committed to a tv series, would have a predefined run. Otherwise, they drag out a story and dilute it to the point of being a holistic tv show, run out of steam after 2-3 series, the money dries up and the series simply ends before finishing the story arc. Grrrrrr

I definitely thought season 1 was better than season 2.

Seemed a bit of a cop-out when the aliens were just human looking.

Also got a little frustrated with the turnover of the cast.

Decent show though and much better than the BBC offering with Robert Carlyle a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Don't look up on Netflix. I'll be watching it tonight. Lots of good reviews.

And coming tomorrow also on Netflix, Death to 2021. Hopefully it's as good as Death to 2020.

Edited by @Lee

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

You'll wish that you hadn't watched Don't Look Up! 

21 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I’d echo that. Don’t know where it went wrong considering the cast. 

I'll get back tomorrow :thumbup:

Forty five minutes in and there's a lot to unpack. Social media, stupid Presidents, anti science idiots. Makes me think we could be just one generation away from Idiocracy (Possibly on Netflix).

Strong climate change message though so far.

'May Jesus Christ bless every one of you. Especially the members of my own party' :D 

Edited by @Lee

It sounds like you were describing my favorite film Idiocracy or were you talking about "don't look up"?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

It sounds like you were describing my favorite film Idiocracy or were you talking about "don't look up"?

I was talking about Don't Look Up and how it reminded me a little of Idiocracy.
It seemed to me Don't Look Up was a commentary on modern life and how social media elevates stupid people to positions they don't deserve to hold. 
I've said myself it's time we stopped making stupid people famous and influencing people. Be they musicians, reality stars or those who end up in politics.

• Like 3

I just watched 'Don't look up' and thought it was OK. I'd give it a 6/10 on my personal Mandy Movie score. It's probably a 5 or 5.5 out of 10 film, but the cast do elevate it a little, even though Leonardo DiCaprio seems to be channelling Leonard Hofstadter (Big bang theory). It ridicules so much of our present culture that I hate and so it hit the mark a little with me, even though seeing these frustrations play out on the screen raised my level of annoyance in a knee-jerk reaction to it :D 

I'd say give it a go, but don't be surprised if you wished that Christopher Morris or Armando Iannucci had made the film instead.

Also make sure you watch the movie to the end of the credits for a couple of funny pay-offs

• Like 1