KPH/MPH

Hi. I'm new to this having not used the site before. Collected my Octavia mk4 SE L First Edition 1.5TSi a few days ago & found I was unable to change the satnav units to miles from kilometres or the speedometer from mph to kph. That prompted me to go online to look for similar problems & lo & behold found this thread. Must admit to being a bit horrified with all the problems people are experiencing, & now wondering if I did the right thing in switching from my reliable old mk2 L&K Octavia. So far this is the only snag I have encountered, but have hardly done any miles yet. My infotainment details are:-

Device p/n 5E3035816

H/W H56

S/W 1688

Display H/W H44

Display S/W 2086

Nav database19.7

Media codec3.1.4

I have sent an email to Honest John to add another voice to the growing band.

The car was registered in July 2020 but not sure when it was built.

Does  anyone know where they have put the specification sticker with all the 3 character codes? I can't find it on the boot, where it always was before, and as there is now no service book, it's not there either.

6 minutes ago, golfnut said:

Hi. I'm new to this having not used the site before. Collected my Octavia mk4 SE L First Edition 1.5TSi a few days ago & found I was unable to change the satnav units to miles from kilometres or the speedometer from mph to kph. That prompted me to go online to look for similar problems & lo & behold found this thread. Must admit to being a bit horrified with all the problems people are experiencing, & now wondering if I did the right thing in switching from my reliable old mk2 L&K Octavia. So far this is the only snag I have encountered, but have hardly done any miles yet. My infotainment details are:-

Device p/n 5E3035816

H/W H56

S/W 1688

Display H/W H44

Display S/W 2086

Nav database19.7

Media codec3.1.4

Does  anyone know where they have put the specification sticker with all the 3 character codes? I can't find it on the boot, where it always was before, and as there is now no service book, it's not there either.

Welcome to the forums, and your new car.

Thanks for adding your voice to the HJ band, hopefully we'll get some updates from Skoda soon.

Interesting that you have S/W 1688 - my car (registered Sept 2020, built pre-July) has the same Infotainment details as yours except S/W 1668 (and the Nav Db is updated to 21.1). I'd be interested know if you have standard or matrix LED headlights and if you have 'Travel Mode' under the Headlight settings (to adjust for driving on the right). Mine doesn't, whilst it seems some do.

Sorry for the typo.....S/W is 1668.

I believe I have full matrix LED headlights (according to the salesman) but haven't been out at night to test them yet.

I can confirm that I have 'Travel Mode' in the headlight settings & that it switches between left & right hand drive according to the display.

When it gets dark I will check if it alters the beam pattern.

35 minutes ago, golfnut said:

Sorry for the typo.....S/W is 1668.

I believe I have full matrix LED headlights (according to the salesman) but haven't been out at night to test them yet.

I can confirm that I have 'Travel Mode' in the headlight settings & that it switches between left & right hand drive according to the display.

When it gets dark I will check if it alters the beam pattern.

The matrix lights look like the photo below. Make sure you enable the dynamic asist and cornering lights before trying them out and see how they do at not blinding oncoming drivers. It sounds like you've got pretty much exactly the same car as I have but I've been having major problems with mine as seen in the video below:

E36B0346-01D5-4E0E-A596-863D4789986E_1_105_c.jpeg

On 19/03/2021 at 15:20, Matmacka said:

So its fairwell from me guys im over on audi now (order placed) and my octavia has gone because of the danger with this stalling whilst driving and cant risk with other people in the car, truly gutted as its one of the best looking and practical cars i have ever had but the issues are just to much of a joke, these cars should never of been sold until they knew there was no issues, wish u all the best of luck and hope you get your cars sorted soon

All the very best. Enjoy your new car.

32 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Anyone find that you really have to slam the boot hard for it to shut properly? Also, anyone notice a 'jumping' of the engine. Like a misfire? It is not the cutting to 2 cylinders.

I don't have the issue with the boot as I've the powered version.  The misfire, yes I've noticed it on mine and can't seem to align it with the eco mode.  My wife has noticed it as well when she has been driving it.  I'm having my looked at by my local dealer on the 7th April.  

2 hours ago, golfnut said:

Device p/n 5E3035816

H/W H56

S/W 1688

Display H/W H44

Display S/W 2086

Nav database19.7

Media codec3.1.4

Hi Golfnut,  Sounds like you have a car almost identical to mine.  A July 2020 first edition.  Mine used to be the dealer's demo car and used by the parts manager.  I thought it would be sorted and not have the issues many have described.  Sadly not the case, and whilst not as extreme, I have encountered similar issues to most other first edition owners.

I've raised it with HJ and also Which (waiting to hear back from them) as well as putting everything in writing back to the dealer on all the issues experienced.  What I'm slowly gathering is that the dealer knew about these issues (comments like we had a few earlier ones that did that!).  

If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your car from?

Edited by Ajdude
bad spelling

The car was bought from Lookers in Stockport, an ex demonstrator with low mileage.

Other than the satnav mph/kph issue, everything else seems ok so far, except entering a postcode in the nav. gives a search result of 'offroad' & a gps reference

rather than a street which seems odd. I guess time & mileage will reveal any other gremlins.

Just to repeat, has anyone found their specification sticker?

17 minutes ago, Ajdude said:

I don't have the issue with the boot as I've the powered version.  The misfire, yes I've noticed it on mine and can't seem to align it with the eco mode.  My wife has noticed it as well when she has been driving it.  I'm having my looked at by my local dealer on the 7th April.  

Mine is going in on the same day. Will be interesting to see if the respective dealership can fix it. Please let me know how you go.

2 minutes ago, golfnut said:

The car was bought from Lookers in Stockport, an ex demonstrator with low mileage.

Other than the satnav mph/kph issue, everything else seems ok so far, except entering a postcode in the nav. gives a search result of 'offroad' & a gps reference

rather than a street which seems odd. I guess time & mileage will reveal any other gremlins.

Just to repeat, has anyone found their specification sticker?

Mine does the same saying offroad. Not found the sticker

I asked HJ if there was any news and got the following:

Skoda is onto the issue and since they have your contact details they will get in touch with you directly about any further developments.

But if nothing else happens over the next month, please let me know and I'll chase.

Skoda gave me a new email address for any new cases.

So no news I guess

Hey guys just a quick one, thanks for the good luck messages….. just to update you guys who still have your octavias skoda uk did contact me today with regards to honest john, told them cars gone and she really dint seem to care and said will not contact me again. But she did start of wanting to know my issues so hopefully you hear from them soon, was a Leeds number 

1 minute ago, Matmacka said:

Hey guys just a quick one, thanks for the good luck messages….. just to update you guys who still have your octavias skoda uk did contact me today with regards to honest john, told them cars gone and she really dint seem to care and said will not contact me again. But she did start of wanting to know my issues so hopefully you hear from them soon, was a Leeds number 

Hi Matmacka, I reckon that was Skoda customer services. I had dealings with them and basically achieved nothing. As you know I joined you in ditching my Octavia for very similar reasons. I bought a Peugeot 508sw .... I've now given it back as it had problems. I'll get a refund but as part of it I may get the Octavia back if they've still got it ... then what 🤔 ... good luck and I hope that with amount of money you've lost your new car will make up for it ....

The Skoda Factory / Technical do not need telling what they already know.

The were the ones that decided sending the cars out with functions faulty was 'simply clever' and they can get away with that for 'long time mister;, let the Dealerships take the flak and let the owners mess about contacting the media and posting on forums.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Matmacka said:

skoda uk did contact me today with regards to honest john

Was this "Kate Laws" by any chance? I've been told by my current Skoda UK guy that she'll be taking on "a number of cases" so maybe they'll actually call me for once!

10 hours ago, fox2319 said:

Was this "Kate Laws" by any chance? I've been told by my current Skoda UK guy that she'll be taking on "a number of cases" so maybe they'll actually call me for once!

Yes, I believe that she is dealing with all of our cases. I am frustrated that no time frame is being mentioned to resolve the issue. It is simple, just replace th head unit.

It might not be that simple. In a car as integrated as this one, the head unit could just be acting as a dumb display. It's possible that the hardware version is referring to one or more processors that are installed elsewhere

Still, they probably know what they need to repair so they should just get on with it

Edited by fox2319

Part of me really doubts that this is a software issue. if it was, I think it could be fixed easier and quicker. 

I think it is hardware related - which increases the cost - which is why Skoda is dragging its heals.

13 hours ago, PeteHav said:

Hi Matmacka, I reckon that was Skoda customer services. I had dealings with them and basically achieved nothing. As you know I joined you in ditching my Octavia for very similar reasons. I bought a Peugeot 508sw .... I've now given it back as it had problems. I'll get a refund but as part of it I may get the Octavia back if they've still got it ... then what 🤔 ... good luck and I hope that with amount of money you've lost your new car will make up for it ....

gone for the audi q3 and tbh miles better, no issues had so far and its a latest model. Hope you finally get sorted with it all though

I've been contacted by Kate Laws too as a result of my complaint through HJ. I've explained the issue to her & am awaiting a response.

Will update when I receive it