Heads up display not showing traffic signs

PeteHav

Bought the Octavia having had Skoda's before and lived them. Mine has heads up display which I wanted as all the promotional videos/information show it displaying traffic signs (speed etc) right in front of your eyes. However mine doesn't. Been back to the dealer and they can't make it work either.

Seems there is a lot of supposedly clever software on the Octavia which doesn't work properly.

I think an element of patience is going to be required with it being such a new model and a model which is a lot more software rich than previous models. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but unfortunately to be expected with being an early adopter of new tech. Software is always full of bugs and glitches on release. It should get better though.

7 hours ago, PeteHav said:

Bought the Octavia having had Skoda's before and lived them. Mine has heads up display which I wanted as all the promotional videos/information show it displaying traffic signs (speed etc) right in front of your eyes. However mine doesn't. Been back to the dealer and they can't make it work either.

Seems there is a lot of supposedly clever software on the Octavia which doesn't work properly.

Do you get the signs in the HUD when the satnav is active? On mine at least, you have traffic assist on the left, speed in the middle and the right-hand 'third' of the HUD is where the promo materials show road signs, but I have only seen that active when the sat nav is navigating...

Traffic sign recognition is an option. Part of a pack that comes with lane assist and a heated steering wheel. Did your car come with it spec'd?

I've heard somewhere that you might be able to add it later either via the shop / garage or by finding someone with a VCDS (or whatever it's called these days).

I'm waiting a bit but I'd like to get it added at some point.

• 1 month later...

Just heard from Customer Services ... Traffic sign recognition does not appear on the head-up display.

This is despite all Skoda publications and pictures showing that it does! 

Totally misleading.

So many niggles and frustrations that it may have to go. Not the usual Skoda quality I'm afraid.

I suspect that Skoda will fix this when the downstream firmware version comes from VW.  I've heard of some very poor software niggles with the MK4's (same as the MK8 Golf's).  Suspect this is down to rushed firmware implimentations.

Ask your local Skoda dealer to see if there are any firmware updates for your MIB system and for the dash-board too.  They should do this as a matter of course when your car goes in for Service....most never do it, because it takes time/effort to impliment.

I agree that they have rushed things through before getting if right. Not putting VAG generally in a good light.

They have said that there is no way of retrofitting traffic sign recognition which seems a bit odd as the camera is already there.

2 hours ago, PeteHav said:

Just heard from Customer Services ... Traffic sign recognition does not appear on the head-up display.

This is despite all Skoda publications and pictures showing that it does! 

Totally misleading.

So many niggles and frustrations that it may have to go. Not the usual Skoda quality I'm afraid.

Wouldn't be accepting that answer from CS! This is their own website explicitly stating that it displays detected traffic signs! There's a wee video there, is it an option that's not been ticked in the menu possibly?

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-octavia-press-kit/comfort-safety-head-up-display-and-ergonomic-seats-make-their-debut/

50 minutes ago, WhiskyJamJar said:

Wouldn't be accepting that answer from CS! This is their own website explicitly stating that it displays detected traffic signs! There's a wee video there, is it an option that's not been ticked in the menu possibly?

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-kits/skoda-octavia-press-kit/comfort-safety-head-up-display-and-ergonomic-seats-make-their-debut/

That's pretty explicit that traffic signs are displayed on the heads-up:

This innovative feature increases both safety and comfort by projecting the most important information such as speed, navigation, detected traffic signs and activated driver assistance systems directly onto the windscreen, in clear view of the driver.

I totally agree PetrolDave but they're not budging. There is not an option in the menus - which says something.

It was one of the reasons I wanted the head-up display ☹️

32 minutes ago, PeteHav said:

I totally agree PetrolDave but they're not budging. There is not an option in the menus - which says something.

It was one of the reasons I wanted the head-up display ☹️

Time to get in touch with Trading Standards, the Advertising Standards Authority and make a fuss on social media?

• 2 months later...
On 22/09/2020 at 09:43, PeteHav said:

Can’t help with your issue but can I just ask, is the heads up display one that projects the info directly onto the windscreen or is it one with a retractable screen that pops up out of the dash?

I find the brochure for the Octavia pretty rubbish and it could make it far clearer that the heads up display doesn’t include traffic sign recognition. Every image of that option just says “heads up display” and doesn’t mention travel assist or whatever it’s called.

20 minutes ago, MM1988 said:

Can’t help with your issue but can I just ask, is the heads up display one that projects the info directly onto the windscreen or is it one with a retractable screen that pops up out of the dash?

I find the brochure for the Octavia pretty rubbish and it could make it far clearer that the heads up display doesn’t include traffic sign recognition. Every image of that option just says “heads up display” and doesn’t mention travel assist or whatever it’s called.

Hi, it directs directly on the windscreen. Have been told that traffic sign recognition is NOT available which flies in the face of their advertising. So annoying ...

10 minutes ago, PeteHav said:

Hi, it directs directly on the windscreen. Have been told that traffic sign recognition is NOT available which flies in the face of their advertising. So annoying ...

I’ve specified a Octavia with the heads up and travel assist so it will be interesting if the traffic signs come up as it is mentioned in the description for travel assist. I’m not holding my breath though...

I've seen a YouTube video of one in another European market where the traffic sign is displayed on the HUD. Can't imagine it should be different here.

Isn't the biggest differentiator if you have TSR or not, i.e. you have the rear view camera to do it? It seems like it is possible to order a car with HUD but not have the camera which does TSR.

Approx 10:51 the traffic sign on HUD is shown.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I recently got a new Octavia with HUD installed and i can confirm that it does show traffic signs on the HUD. I live in Finland but one would assume that HUD works the same way here.

It must be a continental thing ... I've been told by Skoda that although I've got HUD traffic sign is not available! I'm in the UK ... so very annoying and against what they advertise!

1 minute ago, MM1988 said:

In the UK at least you have to have the travel assist option in order for the HUD (and sat nav) to show traffic signs. 

14E84B28-6075-4BA4-8D75-864ABCFDE09F.png

Err no we don't. It's only on the Sat Nav and that's historic when the map was produced, not dynamic, which can lead you into trouble as they may not be accurate. Another misleading ad from Skoda

I'm not sure where the traffic sign data comes from (recognition or map data), but it's anyway shown on the HUD. So you can have speed limit and for example moose warning sign at the same time. It also shows speed, ACC-related stuff and warnings from the virtual cockpit (like front assist). Apparently navigation too, but i haven't tried it out yet.

If all required HW modules are present (camera and navigation) it can probably be enabled using VCDS. I haven't found details about Octavia MK4 but if you manage to get full auto scan with VCDS from your car and compare it to the working car I'm sure you would be able to enable this. There are lot of tutorials for older Octavias and Golf but each car is a little different. Possible issue here would be "fusion" mode which combines camera and navigation to display traffic signs. If you don't have navigation installed, than maybe plain old traffic sign recognition with camera is disabled.

The main point is why is this feature disabled in the UK, some regulatory issues?

2 minutes ago, omadon said:

If all required HW modules are present (camera and navigation) it can probably be enabled using VCDS. I haven't found details about Octavia MK4 but if you manage to get full auto scan with VCDS from your car and compare it to the working car I'm sure you would be able to enable this. There are lot of tutorials for older Octavias and Golf but each car is a little different. Possible issue here would be "fusion" mode which combines camera and navigation to display traffic signs. If you don't have navigation installed, than maybe plain old traffic sign recognition with camera is disabled.

The main point is why is this feature disabled in the UK, some regulatory issues?

My point was that I think it’s to do with whether you have the traffic sign recognition feature which is in the traffic assist option in the UK, if you have that you should have traffic sign recognition.

Can’t be regulatory because plenty of cars in the UK have this feature and I drove one recently.