Lane assist is dangerous

You can definitely get used to 'Lane Assist' but there are other annoying

features such as 'Take over control of steering ' which is very annoying 

and all these nonsensical things when no consideration of  'Reverse parking sensors on some cars has been made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

lane assist teaches you to use your indicators especially on motorways

Haha ! Yes of course it does but as I have said ,there are many other nonsensical  annoying things that have been  given precedence over what would be normally expected.  Like, for example, rear parking sensors.

3 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

lane assist forces you to use your indicators especially on motorways

Correction inline, bold. It's most unfortunate that good drivers don't always signal (because there's no point having a conversation in an empty room) or even stay in one lane.

9 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Correction inline, bold. It's most unfortunate that good drivers don't always signal (because there's no point having a conversation in an empty room) or even stay in one lane.

The instructor on one of my early advanced driving courses used to say, "Congratulations, you've seen something that I missed. Who are you signalling to?" Of course that was far preferable to what he would say if you failed to indicate your intention when there was another road user within sight who would benefit from a signal😄. Better safe than sorry eh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longedge said:

Better safe than sorry eh?

Yes, to the extent that I do always signal if my exit from the junction is blind to me on approach. That hardly applies if I'm the only vehicle on a linear mile of multi-lane road though (which does happen If you drive in or to and from Scotland).

Those codgers that were 'Advanced Drivers' & might think they still are and still display the IAM badges really need to consider if their observation is as good as it might have once been.

Many are having a joke still putting them on cars.

Muscle memory of using eyes / mirrors and seeing before indication is a good thing IMO.

Too many think i need not indicated as there is nobody there to see them, well they are often very wrong because someone on a pavement or on the road further on is waiting to see what they might well do. 

The first you might know is because a DRL goes out, or a cornering fog or headlight goes on. 

Lane Departure / Warning systems is sometimes all that stops someone going into another vehicle in their blind spot. 

When drivers are going to be retested because it is 4 decades since they were last tested or how ever long it is decided best retest those that were Advance Drivers First.

Maybe that will save time if they can be told after 20 minutes, all very good there sir /madam no need to go on longer you are an excellent and safe driver.

Using brakes to slow not gears and not indicating because there is nobody there to see you.

'Lets get your eyes tested and do the theory test, see how you are with signs and the highway code and do the the hazard perception test.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/371777-how-many-advanced-drivers

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, longedge said:

I agree absolutely. Signalling to an empty road is a clear indication of poor observation and awareness of other road users. We're singing off the same sheet :)

Flicking a signal is no effort though. If there's no one there to see you then who is going to think you're stupid?

My view is if I'm changing lanes and I DO indicate, even though I don't believe it's necessary, I'm not just trusting my judgement and observation, I'm giving anybody else who might be there that I didn't see the chance to use their's too. I'f it's saved one minor bump in all my years of driving I'd say it's worth it. Motorbikes and cyclist's without lights probably hardest to spot. 

I have yet to wear out a set of indicators, and my experience of other body parts* would imply "Use it or lose it" so I'm keeping my hands going.

*mobility like touching toes etc - you have a dirty mind.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

4 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

were 'Advanced Drivers' & might think they still are and still display the IAM badge

I guess that's supposed to be aimed at me. Perhaps you'd like to go and find a post where I claim to be an IAM member then. (Hint, there aren't any)

• Confused 1

@KenONeillDon't go to Spec Savers next time, get a good eye test.

I would think it was kind of obviously aimed at the member that posted about what their Instructor on their Advance Driving Coarse said. 

What i will say is that you should maybe try cars with some of the various new tech before decrying them.

Where they can be activated or deactivated they can be very useful for different locations and situations. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

12 hours ago, longedge said:

"Congratulations, you've seen something that I missed. Who are you signalling to?

The Camera. 😉

On 03/10/2021 at 18:20, skoda1982 said:

lane assist teaches you to use your indicators especially on motorways

I was taught when I learnt to drive. :o

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1

@AGFalco  did you actually get taught to drive while a learner on a motorway?

Know what you are saying though.   

My son told me he was taught not to indicate if there was nobody there.

When i was questioning why Traffic Police in cars or on Motor Bikes do not indicate lane changes i was told not required on a motorway.

My reply was no need to speed some place when you are only patrolling with no place to get to other than your lunch break.

Also that when training others in your unmarked vehicles (Silver or White BMW Estates on the A92 etc) on how to get on in an unmarked police car or without using blue lights do not get worked up if driving up a vehicles back end and flashing your headlights does not make that driver move out your way immediately.  

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

did you actually get taught to drive while a learner on a motorway?

On my first lesson I drove along the A316 from the end of the M3 going London bound.

This was a NSL three lane road but with no hard shoulder, so almost.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1

When the Government had someone fly a kite about Lessons and Testing on a Motorway the fact there were none North of Perth went over their heads.

Some nice dangerous Dual Carriageways about though, but somehow there are still new drivers around that never got taught on those either and then get on them for the first time maybe in the dark or bad weather etc.

An HGV Instructor was saying last week on the telly that driver instruction and testing should be going on 24 hours just now and mixed between daytime and night time as drivers need to take HGV's out in the datk once passed their tests. 

If you are driving a car with lane assist, when turning if you indicate it turns LA off and so doesnt resist the turning.   Also if you ALWAYS indicate you dont forget to do it when you should and so cause confusion.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

I would think it was kind of obviously aimed at the member that posted about what their Instructor on their Advance Driving Coarse said.

.. who saw it and decided not to rise to the provocation.

I stand by what I have said. Signalling to an empty road indicates poor observation and awareness of other road users, but better safe than sorry.

You are quite right to assume that I'm an old codger. My reaction times are much slower than they used to be, my vision is not what it used to be and the little driving that I now do is over short distances and within my current capabilities. I know my own limits and remain within them but recognise the fact that that in the not too distant future it will no longer be appropriate for me to get behind the wheel.

• Like 2

@longedge

You must see the gentlemen that have immaculate 20 years plus old Jaguars, Mercs, Rovers etc (some now have them on a much newer model) that proudly display the IAM badge on their car and sadly display their poor driving standards. 

Surely now in the UK with very different roads in some areas is the time at which you can get a Free Bus pass, which is much younger in London than in the rest of England is the Time a resit of a Driving test should be taken if one was not passed in the past 20 years.

The standard of driving from some now with nice big and quick EV's is appalling. Also smaller, and many MG EV's.

Some of those will be drivers in Motability Lease cars as Motability are pushing those.

Thank goodness there is Lane Assist, Lane Departure Warning, City Assist etc as standard with those vehicles.

Edited by e-Roottoot

9 hours ago, Exkiwi said:

Also if you ALWAYS indicate you dont forget to do it when you should and so cause confusion

Yes you can. You should do "mirror, signal, mirror, manoeuvre", which means that you check your mirrors, signal, check mirrors again and then slow down (if required) before steering. Blindly "always signalling" does nothing to ensure that you have observed before braking.

• Like 1

Exactly.  So do not be a mumpty and just signal without looking while chatting on the handsfree or to passengers or while listening to the sat nav.

Drive like you had to to pass your test and do not just be a crap driver.  If to stop the wheel giving a nudge you have a reminder, to look before indicating. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@longedge

You must see the gentlemen that have immaculate 20 years plus old Jaguars, Mercs, Rovers etc (some now have them on a much newer model) that proudly display the IAM badge on their car and sadly display their poor driving standards.

I've never been a member of IAM and haven't made a particular study of the organisation or the members. I can't say that I have ever seen bad driving by a member of IAM.

I do have many years experience (admittedly quite some time ago now) of knocking on doors to tell people that their loved one has passed away in an RTA, getting bodies identified, scraping body parts up off the road and so on and it was all very sad. I spent a lot of time trying to influence driver behaviour towards safer driving both in cars and on motor cycles.

I believe that driver training is a serious matter. A very essential part of that is getting a driver to be aware of everything that is going on around them. One of the ways in which an examiner can assess a driver's awareness is the way they interact with other road users.

Signalling to an empty road isn't going to hurt anybody and so I say "better safe than sorry". Hopefully the driver who does that isn't one of those who has no awareness and thinks that signalling then entitles a driver to complete the manoeuvre no matter what. 

Edited by longedge
typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I was taught the same during my lessons, passed my test in August this year.

Eventually with maturity you will start to question whether what you have been doing because you were taught to do so is actually relevant, correct or appropriate. I live in a country where this never happens 99% of the time thanks to the education system and I face the results every single day, if you ask someone why they do something like leave the left indicator on when in the 3rd lane of a motorway, driving on the bumper of the car in font etc they always respond "on m'a dit" if you labour the point and say "but why? for what purpose?" which is culturally unacceptable they get very uncomfortable and have no response, they genuinely don't know why.

Nobody can say with 100% certainty that there is not another road user or pedestrian around who would benefit from your signalling your intention to manouevre although when I was younger I would 100% have believed that I did, it does no harm to signal a change of lane direction etc systematically and may save a life.

I don't buy the statement that its an indication of not being aware of the surroundings, if there is nobody there the its an indication to who?

• Like 3