Lane assist is dangerous

On 08/04/2023 at 15:19, Seasider said:

I have found lane assist is better with the steering wheel vibration option turned off on my Kamiq, and the blind spot protection light is not easy to miss you'll be pleased to know.

how do i do that?

On 27/02/2023 at 22:40, carefree said:

For any newbies looking at the title/content of this thread, lane assist is definitely NOT dangerous.  

Im really not sure where the OP is coming from on this.  It’s a safety measure which is standard on all new cars these days not just Skoda.   To call it dangerous is both confusing and hilarious 😆.  

At the very worst its a slight inconvenience which you can turn off anyway, so not worthy of a thread imho.

Sorry but saying that and expecting it to hold around the globe is also hilarious and naive.

• Crying 1

1 hour ago, MP1983 said:

Sorry but saying that and expecting it to hold around the globe is also hilarious and naive.

I couldn’t give a flying monkey whether it holds or not, the fact is that lane assist is in no way dangerous.  Unless you have the muscle mass of a 3 month old baby it is NOT dangerous and anyone who says it is (you for instance) is just being dramatic.

Im afraid that it is you who is being hilarious and naive, because if you are seriously telling me with a straight face that a slight vibration on the steering wheel is dangerous then you either need to see a doctor about your lack of muscle mass OR your car needs to be checked for a fault.

Lane assist is in NO way dangerous, just a mild inconvenience at worst and I stand by it 100%.

You really think a major car manufacturer would incorporate a “safety measure” that was even remotely dangerous?  Mate, go sit in a dark corner and give your head a wobble.

Jesus😂😂

P.S.   I think David Lloyd gym’s have an offer on at the moment mate, might be worth a phone call👍

Edited by carefree

1 hour ago, MP1983 said:

Well, I had a Nissan Qashqai as loan car while mine was being assessed, I had it for 2 months and I would say that the level of interaction with that was dangerous at least for the first few times of it kicking in, completely the opposite to how the system operates on my current car. Given the state of Britain's roads at the moment, when the Qashqai system kicked in it would vibrate and the feel of that is similar to driving on a really rough road with loads of smaller potholes so you tend to grip the wheel firmer. Then the car would make violent course corrections to try and keep you in lane, which has the effect of the driver then starts to fight it and the car can be seen wobbling as the driver and the system battle each other.

Once you are aware of it and how to set it up, you can disable the vibration and then it makes more sense as it will still steer you back into lane safely and  because you are not then confusing it with bad road surface, takes control of the steering smoothly, just as it does in the Superb.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2023 at 15:19, Seasider said:

I have found lane assist is better with the steering wheel vibration option turned off on my Kamiq, and the blind spot protection light is not easy to miss you'll be pleased to know.

how do i do that?

I can only say how for  a 2020 Skoda Kamiqand you appear to have a 2015 Octavia.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 21:57, carefree said:

I couldn’t give a flying monkey whether it holds or not, the fact is that lane assist is in no way dangerous.  Unless you have the muscle mass of a 3 month old baby it is NOT dangerous and anyone who says it is (you for instance) is just being dramatic.

Im afraid that it is you who is being hilarious and naive, because if you are seriously telling me with a straight face that a slight vibration on the steering wheel is dangerous then you either need to see a doctor about your lack of muscle mass OR your car needs to be checked for a fault.

Lane assist is in NO way dangerous, just a mild inconvenience at worst and I stand by it 100%.

You really think a major car manufacturer would incorporate a “safety measure” that was even remotely dangerous?  Mate, go sit in a dark corner and give your head a wobble.

Jesus😂😂

P.S.   I think David Lloyd gym’s have an offer on at the moment mate, might be worth a phone call👍

Your whole post contradicts with what you`ve been trying to say which is even more amazing. If I have to wrestle the car - is this safe? Slight vibration - not sure what you got but the latest Octavia I have actively turns the wheel. Yes, you can hold it back but I`ve had enough to summarize this is a dangerous system in its current setup. How would you feel when you`re about to miss a fork due to end of day for example and when try to correct at the last moment it indeed turns you back into the fork concrete split? Or when there are construction yellow markings (at least what they use here) next to the white ones - I can exactly tell you what happened in such situation. Or when there`s a pot hole where steering you into it could indeed make you crash if the pothole is the right one? Or my worst fear now as it did happen several times in less than a year - a cyclist at the brink of the road in a curve - so I should lose time to put the blinker and then try to put some distance to him? Really? Lane assist is the embodiment of communism - perfect in theory but there`s no real world where it can exist.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MP1983 said:

Your whole post contradicts with what you`ve been trying to say which is even more amazing. If I have to wrestle the car - is this safe? Slight vibration - not sure what you got but the latest Octavia I have actively turns the wheel. Yes, you can hold it back but I`ve had enough to summarize this is a dangerous system in its current setup. How would you feel when you`re about to miss a fork due to end of day for example and when try to correct at the last moment it indeed turns you back into the fork concrete split? Or when there are construction yellow markings (at least what they use here) next to the white ones - I can exactly tell you what happened in such situation. Or when there`s a pot hole where steering you into it could indeed make you crash if the pothole is the right one? Or my worst fear now as it did happen several times in less than a year - a cyclist at the brink of the road in a curve - so I should lose time to put the blinker and then try to put some distance to him? Really? Lane assist is the embodiment of communism - perfect in theory but there`s no real world where it can exist.

Contradicts?  You must be reading something very different I’m afraid, I’ve said on this and other threads that lane assist is in NO way dangerous.  

Yes, it vibrates and pulls the steering wheel lightly…..are you really telling me that you, as a grown man (or even woman) haven’t got the minuscule amount of strength required to coax it back to where you want to go?  Come on mate, you must be winding me up🤷🏻‍♂️

I live in an area where potholes are very commonplace, and on the odd occasion I’ve forgotten to turn off lane assist it has directed me towards one or two of those potholes……but like the system is designed for I gently coaxed the steering wheel to where I wanted the car to go.

This is either a wind up OR you seriously need to go and lift some (very light) weights.

If you feel that this safety feature is dangerous then I suggest you go and buy an older car without it, because most (if not all) modern cars have it.  

OR, instead of moaning about it just turn it off…….you’re welcome👍

Pathetic and hilarious in equal measure😂😂😂

Edited by carefree
  • Groan 1

But for a 25 year old he shows remarkable self awareness dont you think!

2 hours ago, carefree said:

Pathetic and hilarious in equal measure😂😂😂

• Like 1

Lane assist isn't what I would call dangerous but it is annoying so along with Stop/Start I turn it off everytime I drive off. It has no useful purpose.

Lane assist on the Superb is neither annoying or dangerous as it does not cause the steering to vibrate as it did on the Qashqai. Stop Start does help to reduce emissions and enhance your mpg figures, it is at times annoying when it stops, just as the car in front pulls away and you take time starting again. I now leave mine on all the time, it's good for the planet.

1 hour ago, sussamb said:

Afraid I disagree. In what way does either serve a useful purpose? 

Rather obvious really, Lane assist helps to keep you within your lane and safe by trying to prevent you from accidentally crossing the white line into another lane and maybe into the path of another vehicle which could result in an accident. It also teaches you proper to use signals and mirrors effectively. If you signal your intention to change lanes, the lane assist is de-activated and will not intervene because your changing lanes on purpose. If you don't signal, it therefore assumes that are doing so unintentionally and is trying to possibly safe your life, that is very useful.

Stop Start is likewise trying to save you money and help to reduce harmful emissions, all modern cars have it and it is part of the emission control system required by the EURO engine categories in order to help with reducing the climate change problems.  

Strat/stop is actually more useful in relation to urban NOx and particulate pollution, short-term threats to human health, rather than the CO2/climate related reduction which is a side benefit, and not huge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What is short term about the threat to human health.   The threat is long term and from now on.  Maybe more obvious in built up areas but pollution and emissions and global warming is global as around the earth..    simply clever might be that when stop start could be operating and a driver turns it off in more polluted areas a diverter valve puts the exhaust emissions into the cars cabin.  Let them decide if they want to be breathing in particulate pollution rather than those around the vehicle. 

Edited by toot

40 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Rather obvious really, Lane assist helps to keep you within your lane and safe by trying to prevent you from accidentally crossing the white line into another lane and maybe into the path of another vehicle which could result in an accident. It also teaches you proper to use signals and mirrors effectively. If you signal your intention to change lanes, the lane assist is de-activated and will not intervene because your changing lanes on purpose. If you don't signal, it therefore assumes that are doing so unintentionally and is trying to possibly safe your life, that is very useful.

Stop Start is likewise trying to save you money and help to reduce harmful emissions, all modern cars have it and it is part of the emission control system required by the EURO engine categories in order to help with reducing the climate change problems.  

Funnily enough I've driven for over 40 years and never unintentionally driven over white lines unless I intended to. I also save way more in fuel etc by my manner of driving than stop/start could ever hope to match

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic.  If everyone was as you are.      If you listened. Less about fuel saving for you and more about others not sniffing your tail pipe emissions.    40 years driving likely mid 50,s and older.  More than middle aged. Your driving is going down hill standards way. Time to resit your test maybe.  

Edited by toot
  • Groan 1

17 minutes ago, sussamb said:

Funnily enough I've driven for over 40 years and never unintentionally driven over white lines unless I intended to. I also save way more in fuel etc by my manner of driving than stop/start could ever hope to match

And how would/could you possibly know that your style of driving is actually saving more fuel than stop/start could. Besides that is not the point and is just simply not enough to argue against having the stop/start system active because it is a fact that while your engine is running while stationary in a traffic jam, at traffic lights etc is wasteful of fuel is therefore costing you money.

I have been driving for far longer than you have and equally certain that my driving style is also very economical, but why not add to that economy by using stop/start system, especially when it has been proven to actually save you fuel, thus money? 

Never driven over white lines unintentionally, I seriously doubt that and you could never ever be certain that you haven't either, all you do know is that you are still breathing and able to claim that you have never done so. 

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Groan 1

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Lane assist teaches you proper to use signals and mirrors effectively.

Complete and utter bull****! Lane enforce will not prevent you from switching on an indicator and moving without observing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Groan 1

48 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

Complete and utter bull****! Lane enforce will not prevent you from switching on an indicator and moving without observing.

You might wish to re-read what I posted as that is not what I said at all. If you attempt to cross a white line, with Lane Assist active, without indicating, it will try and resist you crossing the line, not prevent you, but will resist. If however you indicate your intention, then it will de-activate Lane Assist while you cross the line and will then re-activate once you have crossed the line. This is equally true for overtaking and also returning to the slower lane again, attempt such actions without indicating will if you are travelling fast enough, invoke the cars safety system of resisting you. You can always by exerting more force, override it if need be.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

At least an indicator on gives some clue to others even if the Muppet driver is pulling out in front of others having not looked.   There seems to be plenty waving about on or over the line and into others lanes how probably think they are driving gods.    There are plenty driving about in the newest of cars with all the tech and they are near into the kerb or verge or across into oncoming traffic.   That has maybe to do with being in conversation to passengers, on the phone or just trusting the cars tech or clueless to what there is or when it operates as in at what speed, or on straights and not in bends. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

You might wish to re-read what I posted as that is not what I said at all. If you attempt to cross a white line, with Lane Assist active, without indicating, it will try and resist you crossing the line, not prevent you, but will resist. If however you indicate your intention, then it will de-activate Lane Assist while you cross the line and will then re-activate once you have crossed the line. This is equally true for overtaking and also returning to the slower lane again, attempt such actions without indicating will if you are travelling fast enough, invoke the cars safety system of resisting you. You can always by exerting more force, override it if need be.

I think you have missed their point Graham and if you pause for thought you will realise that Paws4Thot (see what I did there!) makes a good point, he was picking up on your speaking of "proper to (sic) use of mirrors effectively"