Tiers, Lockdowns & Vaccinations

cheezemonkhai

19 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Always thought so, but her actions in last few hours are appalling. 

Yep, doxxing the poor chap, threatening him, saying 'you're finished' etc etc. He's in touch with James O' Brien now so maybe something on tomorrow's show when he returns. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Yep, doxxing the poor chap, threatening him, saying 'you're finished' etc etc. He's in touch with James O' Brien now so maybe something on tomorrow's show when he returns. 

Could either of you explain who she is and what she has done or post a link please?

Sounds interesting but I have never heard of her.

Also what is "doxxing" please?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Could either of you explain who she is and what she has done or post a link please?

Sounds interesting but I have never heard of her.

Also what is "doxxing" please?

She's a Daily Telegraph 'journalist' who launched a nasty attack on Twitter against a biologist for sharing his (AFAIK) correct views on the virus situation. This led to people piling on against him. She threatened that his career would be finished. Doxxing is publishing someone's private address without their permission. 

• Thanks 3

I've just had a thought; Scotland will be going into lockdown from midnight tonight but Johnson will only make an announcement tonight on the new measures.
Parliament will be recalled to vote on the new measures on Wednesday. Assuming it's voted for again, does that mean new lockdown from 00:00 Thursday at the earliest?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55534999
@e-Roottoot, can Sturgeon call for a lockdown herself due to devolved powers? 

Edited by Lee01
  • Like 1

So it's gone from Johnson saying schools are safe on Sunday morning to 'schools to close' on Monday afternoon? He really hasn't a clue. He hates delivering bad news because he's frit. Probably something will come about 'Britons love freedom' and goes against British values or some such drivel. 
Can we have Jeremy Hunt back, please?

Time to act: thread on why we need to close schools, borders, and ban all household mixing RIGHT AWAY. 
To those arguing winter is always like this in the NHS: you are wrong. I faced four serious winter crises as Health Sec and the situation now is off-the-scale worse than any of those. 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1346063563450888192.html

• Like 1

Jeremy Hunt MP, Greg Clark MP and others that were not that good are really still not that good a year on.  

Full of bluff and bluster and of their own importance now as they were when they got away with rather poor performances when in cabinet.

Not that Micheal Gove MP or Matt Hancock MP have ever been outstanding even among the dross that there are to choose from.

Doctor Liam Fox MP who is actually a medical doctor is obviously not going to take charge of health because that might cramp his life style and travelling.

He might have been more interested last year if he had known how much money his buddies could be making out of Coronavirus.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

5 hours ago, Lee01 said:

I've just had a thought; Scotland will be going into lockdown from midnight tonight but Johnson will only make an announcement tonight on the new measures.
Parliament will be recalled to vote on the new measures on Wednesday. Assuming it's voted for again, does that mean new lockdown from 00:00 Thursday at the earliest?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55534999
@e-Roottoot, can Sturgeon call for a lockdown herself due to devolved powers? 

Reading the link to the BBC report it stated:

It is not yet clear when the measures will be reviewed, but MPs are likely to be given a vote to approve them retrospectively on Wednesday.

Therefore lockdown will be at midnight tonight;)

• Like 1

Interesting discussion on R5L this morning regarding should schools be opened or closed. Balanced debate with views both ways, then Kate Green the shadow secretary of state for education came on the show.

Not an exact transcript, but how I recall it.

Presenter Q, would you close schools or keep them open if you were in charge?

Kate Green: Ans. The government are doing everything wrong blah blah blah.

Presenter. No, what I am asking is what would you do if you were in charge?

Kate Green. We would do what Sir Keir Starmer recommended yesterday and go into full lockdown.

Presenter.  That would include closing schools?

Kate Green. No, we would want to keep schools open.

Presenter. (somewhat confused)  You would have a full lockdown, but keep schools open ? What would you do if some schools wanted to close as they didn't think it was safe to stay open?

Kate Green. This would be discussed at local levels.

Tonight when Sir Keir Starmer was interviewed after Boris's announcement he said it was inevitable that the schools would have to close, but 12 hours earlier he was going to keep them open.  

1 hour ago, moley said:

Reading the link to the BBC report it stated:

Therefore lockdown will be at midnight tonight;)

It didn't mention that when I read it earlier. Upon checking it appears it was updated after Johnson's speech :wondering:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Lee01

13 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

@moleyBBC Newsnight said Wednesday morning so now I don't know whether to believe Newsnight or some bloke off the internet :D  ;) PXL_20210105_000429968.jpg.e53ab53afd69fc074d2884a39ab913ba.jpg

The latest lockdown stated at midnight, but will become law on Wednesday, assuming parliament votes in favour.

During a televised address on Monday, the prime minister announced the tougher restrictions will come into force from midnight tonight

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-lockdown-rules-january-2021-b1782192.html

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, moley said:

Yes, I was also reading that however it doesn't say when the rules apply from; it's just an update on guidance. Do the actual rules apply from 00:00 today?
I'm not being pedantic here, I need to know for family reasons.

Never mind. 'Should' is not the same as 'must'. 

You should follow this guidance immediately. The law will be updated to reflect these new rules.

Edited by Lee01
  • Groan 1

Published 4 January 2021
Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street and The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP

From tomorrow, people will only be allowed to leave their homes for the following reasons:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person. go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home.

From tomorrow, all primary schools, secondary schools and colleges will move to remote learning, except for the children of key workers and vulnerable children. 

• exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
  • meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one.
  • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse).
  • attend education or childcare - for those eligible.
  • From tomorrow, all primary schools, secondary schools and colleges will move to remote learning, except for the children of key workers and vulnerable children

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-announces-national-lockdown

15 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Well I live around 20 yards from a main A road, and it's the busiest I've heard it in ages. 

No idea where everyone is going given the stay at home order. 

Sounds busier than a normal workday 

Agreed. On the roads now and no different to normal. 

16 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Well I live around 20 yards from a main A road, and it's the busiest I've heard it in ages. 

No idea where everyone is going given the stay at home order. 

Sounds busier than a normal workday 

Panic-buying bootfulls of bogrolls I would guess. 

• Like 3

FFS - when does 5th Feb Jan start...   00:00:01hrs...   it's not difficult to understand...

Edited by skomaz
Month corrected... doh!
  • Like 1