Tiers, Lockdowns & Vaccinations

cheezemonkhai

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

What amazes me is that the politicians keep using the phrase "responsible behaviour" - I don't see a lot of politicians doing that, nor are a small but significant minority of the general public doing that.

Lockdown 3 for Wales confirmed for December 28th, how long before also confirmed for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Basically framing it as our own fault for the upcoming lockdown 3 rather than poor leadership following the science - however unpopular. 

Boris hates being unpopular 

It's all very well having a dig at the (admittedly) poss piir leadership in the UK, but no large EU country can say 'we got it right' rather some just happened to hit the inevitable roller coaster curve at different points, some appearing to be getting it right initially too!, but too many civil liberty/human rights brigade with we have freedoms (or just too damn selfish) for anything to work properly.

• Like 2

I was watching Newsnight on BBC2 earlier and the item on a brewery chucking beer down the drain made me think that smaller breweries in the UK have missed a trick during lockdown. The brewery owner said bottled sales had increased.
Can anyone think of the trick they may have missed? One that would have been more environmentally friendly? 

48 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Good!  Sounds about right to me and reasonable - I certainly wasn't expecting South Yorkshire t be dropped a tier...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lee01 said:

I was watching Newsnight on BBC2 earlier and the item on a brewery chucking beer down the drain made me think that smaller breweries in the UK have missed a trick during lockdown. The brewery owner said bottled sales had increased.
Can anyone think of the trick they may have missed? One that would have been more environmentally friendly? 

Guinness brewery at James' Gate dublin used all the returned kegs from pubs unable to open as fertilizer to grow christmas trees i believe. i also think they are selling for charity. must check actually 

yup. christmas tree sales for ALONE 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/12/09/business/irish/guinness-brian-odriscoll-christmas-trees-alone/amp

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

@mac11irlthe needles will be so full of iron you can use them as nails!
I was thinking the breweries could have been bottling more beer and delivering it door to door like milk. They used to do it round our way in the 70s and 80s like the Corona (er.....) pop man. Davenports I think they were called.

4 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Just seen that and typed too fast:

I'm in Waverley, Surrey, which was Tier 2, while the rest of Surrey was Tier 4, so no real surpise.

From 00:01 on Boxing Day, Sussex, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, those parts in Essex not already in tier four, Waverley in Surrey, and Hampshire - including Portsmouth and Southampton but with the exception of the New Forest - will be escalated to tier four.

24 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Does that mean you can't leave Surrey to service your European customers in the New Year when they re-open?

Travelling in the UK for work has been OK since the middle of May, as long as I can find a hotel. I have a job booked in Europe in January, but as I told the customer this is a provisional booking depending on travel restrictions. I have been out of the country on four occasions since the lockdown in March without any problems.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Good to see the Wild Ponies in the New Forest are not affected by the travel restrictions.:tongueout:

Which makes no sense to me - I used to live in Southampton (now in Tier 4) and around half of my work colleagues used to live in the New Forest (now in Tier 3), so there is a LOT of traffic between those areas meaning that if one is in Tier 4 the other should be too, and if it isn't will soon need to be :wall:

4 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

The New Forest isn't in Surrey. It's at the far west of Hampshire.

Read the whole list of Tier changes - the whole of Hampshire is now in Tier 4 EXCEPT the New Forest and the Isle of Wight which will now both be in Tier 3.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

87% of England in T3 or 4

https://electionmaps.uk/covid19-tier-map
427893704_download(1).thumb.png.a8706d977f94b5768037ecbc22971de5.png

@PetrolDaveShy was replying about Surrey so thought I'd remind him. I also used to live in Soton and I agree Re the volume of traffic in and out of the NF from Soton. NF was part of my old patch for BT/ Openreach.
Just remembered - one of the NF MPs is the nutcase Desmond Swayne. He was against wearing masks at one point. He may still be. Also a critic of the Lockdowns, the Gov Covid strategy and a hard brexiter.

Edited by Lee01