Rear Ended

dredge3

Someone decided to push the wifes car 30ft down the road.

Insurance companies computer says repair. How it can do that before inspection, is beyond me.
as you look at the rear door, the roof looks bent to me. 

20201203_105841.jpg

20201203_105819.jpg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

If it is new enough they can move all the parts to a new bodyshell, but you wouldn't want to have it back afterwards as it is almost impossible to do 100% correct

No we wouldnt want it back, We tow a horse box with it. 

I know it wouldnt be a write off but would it be logged as damage repaired?

Bad luck there - even for a 19 plate I cannot see that as being an 'economic repair' I think I can see a crease in the roofline above the rear nearside passengers door too. God knows what the left chassis rail looks like.

I cant be certain but understand it depends on the repair category it is assessed in. Minor repairs don't get recorded, major ones do, and if assesed in the worst category repairs are not usually permitted. Major permitted repairs can be inspected I believe and if it passes all the checks the damage is no longer logged

Did the airbags deploy?

It looks repairable & if the airbags are intact then the chassis rail (I know its a monocoque) will not have deformed nor the boot floor.

The damage is minimal (structural) because of the towbar & the height of the RR's bumper.

• Groan 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Did the airbags deploy?

It looks repairable & if the airbags are intact then the chassis rail (I know its a monocoque) will not have deformed nor the boot floor.

The damage is minimal (structural) because of the towbar & the height of the RR's bumper.

No they didnt go off. Do they go off when locked and parked up?

14 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Two things, typical Range Rover driver (sorry Aspman) and no way would I have the Kodiaq repaired after that severe damage. It needs to be scrapped.

I dont think we have a choice do we?
My argument was that we purchased it new so we know its spot on. We are towing horses. Cant be having any issues at all.
Why should we lose out and have a repaired car. Its 18months old

With the damage to the Karoq & RR as it is, the Karoq being parked, the RR driver must have been driving down the pavement.  Was the Karoq on the other side of the road from where it started off?

Edited by DSL

44 minutes ago, DSL said:

With the damage to the Karoq & RR as it is, the Karoq being parked, the RR driver must have been driving down the pavement.  Was the Karoq on the other side of the road from where it started off?

They think the RR driver blanked out, swerved left. mounted curb then pushed our car to the middle of the road. Amazed she didnt run a pedestrian over 

• Thanks 1

OTT.

Bloody scandal if Air Bags do not go off if cars are locked and parked but there is the weight of people on the seats with seat belts fastened or not.

Many people occupy cars parked at roadsides, in car parks or lay-bys exactly that way.   Locked doors and parked.

That is an Evoque in the picture is it not?

DS62 HRK  is a Land Rover Freelander as far as the DVLA are concerned

and not a Range Rover.

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, DSL said:

It's a Kodiaq

Edited by Tim1631
  • Like 1

Oops, didn’t spot that, even with the badge.  :blush:  New to Skoda and still getting to grips with model recognition. 

Edited by DSL
  • Like 1

The thread WAS posted in the Karoq section, so your confusion is understandable :) 

My Citroen BX GTi was rear ended on the M6 many years ago, and had a crinkled roof just like the OPs. It was about two or three years old I think, and was a write-off. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

So is the plate on the Range Rover Evoque correct.   DS62 HRK

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 18.01.07.png

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 18.01.22.png

Wrong reg, DS62 HRN and comes up correctly.

7CD145F2-8E51-430C-8010-C41D445F2E71.thumb.png.c10368edd52a3a5fe7c987f4c75f95ec.png

And shows up fine on MIB.

4EE099B5-BF30-41FB-96E2-95FC199F87AA.thumb.png.e50a5b6a442af4518f179372ac1767ec.png

Edited by DSL
  • Thanks 1

Not sure about deployment when parked, if the doors were locked & the alarm sensor not disabled then its plausible that they wouldn't.

The ones on my vehicle deployed & all the only witness mark is one small scuff on the plastic bumper which compounded out after a tiny bit of touch up paint, I presume it was being driven but it must have been at close to no speed.

The primary crumple zone on the longeron of the metal bumper support beam was deformed though so a considerable shock would have travelled through the structure and triggered the G sensor, there was zero chassis damage, just a boken slat on the plastic radiator grille.

The rear quarter structure deforming as it did will have attenuated the impact, its entirely possible the airbags may not have deployed were the car being driven at the time of the impact.

The car looks easily repairable, whether its economically viable will depend on the insurers, it may be cheaper for them to pay out and sell the salvage will will bring in either 50% or 30% dependant on the category.

If they repair it under your policy it wont be recorded on the V5.

Last time I looked at the wiring to an airbag ECU, the only power feeds  it had were ignition-on ones.  That was on a different and much older Skoda model, and I don't have wiring diagrams for Kodiaq so can't check, unless they're amongst Arkaig's offerings?

Now checked and also true in Kodiaq; probably also for all other 21st century Skoda models as what I'd previously looked at was Mk1 Fabia. So ignition on or engine running are the only times the airbags can deploy.

Edited by Wino

4 hours ago, dredge3 said:

Why should we lose out and have a repaired car. Its 18months old

This is what you'll be told. If the car is repaired back to pre-crash condition then you won't be loosing out.  Why should you have it repaired? Because that's what you agreed to when you took out your insurance.

It's a bummer when **** like this happens but it's in the hands of the insurers and the outcome is up to them.

Obviously cannot tell the state of the chassis from those pics but I wouldn't be surprised it's out given the point of impact. It's been hit near the corner rather than straight on.

By far the biggest issue looks to be the damage to that C-pillar. Unfortunately ( or perhaps fortunately depending on how you look at it ), that's the largest panel on the car and it's wrecked. To replace it means the roof coming off and...   well as you can imagine, it's not the cost of the physical parts that's the issue, it's the labour costs and costs of replacement car hire that could put it beyond economic repair. I'm guessing a 19 plate Edition will have a trade value of around £20-£22k which means if the repair costs are more than say £15k, the car is in danger of being written off. Is there £15k's worth of damage / replacement hire costs? I'd have thought so.

Obviously you have to wait for the engineers report but if it were me, I'd be starting to gather info on how much a like-4-like replacement Edition would be ( rather than how much the insurers offer you ). They may well offer you a trade value which I suspect will be someway off the price of a replacement car.

It's a real bummer - feel sorry for you.

PS - looks like the airbag has gone off on the Range Rover so that's probably f*kd as well.  Someone above said it's easy repairable?  :notme:  That's not my view. The only easy repair I can see is to the wall !